Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is more powerful?
New York City 136 60.44%
London 89 39.56%
Voters: 225. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2014, 09:27 PM

911 posts, read 1,124,707 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
On this particular issue (sports) I doubt its even close, American football may well be big in the US but the sports teams in London have global following (London is also home to many of the worlds most popular sports including (but not only football).
You're partially right. It's not even close. The NFL has revenue upwards of $9billion dollars a year. Total revenue from all English leagues is about $3.5billion. Like you said, not even close. If you combine all soccer leagues across Europe, I think you'll see revenue on par with the combination of the NFL, NBA, and MLB. The sports television market in the US is a beast. It's part of the reason FIFA desperately wants soccer (football to the rest of the world) to hit it big in the US.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2014, 04:22 AM

9,295 posts, read 14,184,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astorian31 View Post
It's part of the reason FIFA desperately wants soccer (football to the rest of the world) to hit it big in the US.
If anything, the opposite happens: the NFL is staking a claim in the London sports market in a ongoing program for about a decade now, while professional soccer has made repeated attempts at popularity in the US and has always failed.

And that despite the increasing Hispanic/Hispanic-American population who, on the contrary, have long been entrenched in baseball (MLB) and whose presence will only increase in football (NFL). Even just recently in Miami, I believe the most Spanish-speaking city in the US, a proposal, by a famous retired German player, to build a major soccer stadium in a prominent place in the city was summarily shot down.

Soccer in the US is popular at the elementary school level because it does not require much equipment, it is a great way to keep kids running around and in shape (and that's what I most admire about professional soccer players, what great physical shape they are in), the rules and rudimentary skills are relatively easy to learn, and there is relatively low risk of injury.

But at the professional level, even the college level, it does not compete with the traditions, excitement and money surrounding US football, basketball and baseball, and I do not see that changing in the foreseeable future.

I cannot name one player on the US international football team, despite the World Cup being played last summer.

Having said that, if a career in global finance is the goal, I would still give the edge to London rather than New York.

Old 12-05-2014, 04:52 AM

1,267 posts, read 1,238,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post
I cannot name one player on the US international football team, despite the World Cup being played last summer.
Well, most people outside the US can't name a single current NFL player, whereas several players in the EPL are well-known around the world.

Old 12-05-2014, 05:03 AM

9,295 posts, read 14,184,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbobcat View Post
Well, most people outside the US can't name a single current NFL player, whereas several players in the EPL are well-known around the world.
The correct analogy would be that an Italian, for example, could not name a player on the Italian national team. Meanwhile, in contrast, plenty of Italians would know the names of some US NBA players.

What on earth is EPL?

Old 12-05-2014, 05:21 AM

1,267 posts, read 1,238,471 times
English Premier League

Old 12-05-2014, 09:21 AM

7,010 posts, read 11,896,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irlinit View Post
I highly doubt it.. the final of this year's Champions League had an audience of 360million.

Manchester United is ranked as being worth £1.5billion alone

Turnover for the Premier League on TV rights alone is over £5billion
The Dallas Cowboy are the most valuable NFL team and they are worth a whopping $3.2 billion, over twice what Manchester United is. The AVERAGE NFL team is worth $1.43 billion. I'd wager to say the entire value of the NFL is higher than that of the "Champion's League".

Old 12-05-2014, 10:18 AM

9,264 posts, read 7,373,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astorian31 View Post
You're partially right. It's not even close. The NFL has revenue upwards of $9billion dollars a year. Total revenue from all English leagues is about $3.5billion. Like you said, not even close. If you combine all soccer leagues across Europe, I think you'll see revenue on par with the combination of the NFL, NBA, and MLB. The sports television market in the US is a beast. It's part of the reason FIFA desperately wants soccer (football to the rest of the world) to hit it big in the US.
Where do you get that figure from

The Premier League alone generates £5billion (close to $8billion) from TV rights across the world and in the UK.

It is not even close, London is far, far, far ahead when it comes to sports, and is without a doubt the sports capital of the world.

Old 12-05-2014, 10:21 AM

9,264 posts, read 7,373,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
The Dallas Cowboy are the most valuable NFL team and they are worth a whopping $3.2 billion, over twice what Manchester United is. The AVERAGE NFL team is worth $1.43 billion. I'd wager to say the entire value of the NFL is higher than that of the "Champion's League".
£1.5 billion is about $2.3billion... so not double.

[url=http://www.forbes.com/sites/mikeozanian/2014/07/15/wall-street-says-manchester-united-most-valuable-team-in-world-after-adidas-deal/]Wall Street Says Manchester United Most Valuable Team In World After Adidas Deal - Forbes[/url]

In fact, according to this, Manchester United is worth $3.6 billion.

Also, if we take other European teams into account, Real Madrid, Barcelona etc wipe the floor of the NFL. This isn't even to mention the fan base of our football teams, which surpasses the US NFL teams multiple times.

Old 12-05-2014, 10:33 AM

7,010 posts, read 11,896,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irlinit View Post
Where do you get that figure from

The Premier League alone generates £5billion (close to $8billion) from TV rights across the world and in the UK.

It is not even close, London is far, far, far ahead when it comes to sports, and is without a doubt the sports capital of the world.
Yeah, $8 billion is nice. But the NFL actually generates $9 billion, which makes the NFL the most lucrative league in the entire world. I know we are getting off subject here, but I don't think Europeans appreciate just how big and profitable the NFL is in the United States.

How The National Football League Can Reach $25 Billion In Annual Revenues - Forbes

Or this one, shows that NFL teams are worth more than the world's top 20 Soccer teams.

The Most Valuable NFL Teams - Forbes

Old 12-05-2014, 02:44 PM

17 posts, read 25,090 times
London will never match NYC. London is the capital of Europe. NYC is the capital city of PLANET EARTH.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World