U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is more powerful?
New York City 106 57.30%
London 79 42.70%
Voters: 185. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2014, 04:21 AM

3,421 posts, read 2,257,546 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by modernist1 View Post
Nonsense - according to the 2011 UK census 44.9% of London's population were White British.
You're right--I misread some stats from 2001. That said, the 44.9% number is correct for white British. For all categories of White, however, London is at 59.7%--still higher than NYC's percentage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2014, 07:59 AM

277 posts, read 384,274 times
^yep but those Whites are very, very multicultural considering we're on Europe (and by extension Middle East)'s doorstep, from Georgians to Greeks, Iraqis to Irish. Race is not the defining factor in Europe (rather, it's more class divided).

You do get that a French speaking French person in London is more multicultural than a Black American in NYC (read: they're still as American, and have been for umpteen generations regardless of race - I don't get why some Americans don't get that)?

London is more evenly split internationally - NYC has good representation among East Asians, Caribbeans, Latin Americans, whereas London has good representation for South Asians, Europeans, Africans, Middle Easterners, Caribbeans and Oceanians - and the remainder although alot lower than NYC's equivalent, are still high ( 300,000 East Asians and 200,000 Latin Americans).

Last edited by smool; 11-24-2014 at 08:08 AM..

Old 11-24-2014, 08:12 AM

1,689 posts, read 1,869,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qworldorder View Post
You're right--I misread some stats from 2001. That said, the 44.9% number is correct for white British. For all categories of White, however, London is at 59.7%--still higher than NYC's percentage.
white in America is not the same as white in Europe

while white in America means an American who is white, in Europe white is pretty much irrelevant, no one would say in Europe that their ethnicity or culture is white like they do in America!!!

If you go to NYC the vast majority of white people is pretty much Americans, and then you have some tourists or european expats but that is largely a minority..... you go to london and the vast majority of white people you see, its nationals from all over the UK, all over Europe (spain, france, italy, germany, ireland, greece, etc.), australians, new zealanders, whites from africa, whites from south america, whites from canada and the USA etc.

the same applies to blacks, you go out in london and you're next to zimbabwean, a zambian, a south african black, a nigerian, a jamaican and so on..... that doesnt happen in NYC, most blacks around NYC are either American blacks or blacks from the nearby caribbean. I remember I was with an african friend of mine in NYC who couldn't even find an african supermarket, only after he searched the internet he found an african store in some obscure street far away in queens.... in london just go to the east end and you'll have dozens of all kind of african street markets, shopping malls, beauty parlors, restaurants etc.

London is honestly way way way more diverse than any place in the US

Old 11-24-2014, 09:00 AM

13,486 posts, read 16,166,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
Having never been to either city my knowledge is limited on both of them.
I highly recommend you do visit both London and New York City. They are essentially the top 2 cities in the world and quite an experience.

I'm going to be staying in Manhattan again with my family on Thanksgiving day. :-)

Old 11-24-2014, 09:28 AM

5,580 posts, read 9,333,654 times
We have had about five of such similar threads over the past two years or so.

Anyway, London is the global center of finance, led by the forex and insurance markets, as someone has already astutely mentioned: while the stock market grabs headlines, its importance to the financial system is lower on the list, also after the bond market which also dwarfs it. Overall for an advanced financial system, then, bonds and insurance at the top; in London in particular, forex and insurance.

At any rate, one of the reasons why London is the global center of finance is because of the overflow of New York's financial power.

To be sure 400, 300, 200, even 100 years ago, there would have been no New York without London, while over the past 100 years or so there would be no London without New York.

As for overall economic power, it's hard to say, but perhaps London has a relative edge in the sense that most of almost every kind of power in the UK is concentrated in London, while in the US various kinds of power - e.g. political, financial, technological, agricultural - are to a significant extent diffused throughout, with a preponderance of financial power in New York, but cities like Chicago and San Francisco have their weight too, as mentioned.

Personally, between London and New York, I would prefer London as a city to live in and start a career in global finance.

Overall, though, New York/the US in general has much deeper capital markets and is overall more powerful, even if by sheer size obviously, while, if anything, London/UK still punches above its weight, as the saying goes, and that's cool too, glad to still be together after all these years.

Last edited by bale002; 11-24-2014 at 09:39 AM..

Old 11-24-2014, 09:41 AM

5,699 posts, read 7,428,952 times
I'll have to read what all factors the GaWC considers when classifying a city as Alpha ++ vs Alpha + and Alpha. I think the GDP of both LA and Chicago is higher than London.

Old 11-24-2014, 09:45 AM

5,699 posts, read 7,428,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irene-cd View Post
white in America is not the same as white in Europe

while white in America means an American who is white, in Europe white is pretty much irrelevant, no one would say in Europe that their ethnicity or culture is white like they do in America!!!

If you go to NYC the vast majority of white people is pretty much Americans, and then you have some tourists or european expats but that is largely a minority..... you go to london and the vast majority of white people you see, its nationals from all over the UK, all over Europe (spain, france, italy, germany, ireland, greece, etc.), australians, new zealanders, whites from africa, whites from south america, whites from canada and the USA etc.

the same applies to blacks, you go out in london and you're next to zimbabwean, a zambian, a south african black, a nigerian, a jamaican and so on..... that doesnt happen in NYC, most blacks around NYC are either American blacks or blacks from the nearby caribbean. I remember I was with an african friend of mine in NYC who couldn't even find an african supermarket, only after he searched the internet he found an african store in some obscure street far away in queens.... in london just go to the east end and you'll have dozens of all kind of african street markets, shopping malls, beauty parlors, restaurants etc.

London is honestly way way way more diverse than any place in the US
London is more diverse than NYC? I can't dispute that, but I do find it difficult to believe.

Old 11-24-2014, 09:51 AM

878 posts, read 1,040,178 times
Quote:
I'll have to read what all factors the GaWC considers when classifying a city as Alpha ++ vs Alpha + and Alpha. I think the GDP of both LA and Chicago is higher than London.
It might also be interesting to check out the many other global city rankings to get a broader perspective, given that they look at different metrics and use different criteria.

I might compile a simple list of these for reference.

Old 11-24-2014, 10:31 AM

159 posts, read 127,217 times
Quote:
London is more diverse than NYC? I can't dispute that, but I do find it difficult to believe.
They're both about the same. But you see fewer blacks in the center city so it doesn't often feel that way

Old 11-24-2014, 10:32 AM

878 posts, read 1,040,178 times
This is what I could find at short notice:

Cities of Opportunity (Economy, Business, Innovation, Intellectual Capital, Technology) - PricewaterhouseCoopers, 2014

1. London
2. New York
3. Singapore
4. Toronto
5. San Francisco
6. Paris
7. Stockholm
8. Hong Kong
9. Sydney
10. Chicago

Global Financial Centres Index - Z/Yen, 2014

1. New York
2. London

3. Hong Kong
4. Singapore
5. Zurich
6. Tokyo
7. Seoul
8. Boston
9. Geneva
10. San Francisco

Globaltown - Deloitte, 2013

Financial services
1. London
2. Chicago
3. New York
4. Boston
5. Hong Kong

Technology, media, communications
1. London
2. Los Angeles
3. New York
4. Singapore
5. Hong Kong

Business and professional services
1. London
2. New York

3. Chicago
4. Los Angeles
5. Boston

Consumer Business
1. Los Angeles
2. London
3. Chicago
4. Singapore
5. New York

Education
1. London
2. New York

3. Hong Kong
4. Sydney
5. Boston

Culture
1. London
2. New York

3. Los Angeles
4. Paris
5. Singapore

Life sciences
1. Los Angeles
2. New York
3. Toronto
4. Boston
5. Chicago

Global Power City Index (Economy, R&D, Culture, Livability, Accessibility) - Mori Memorial Foundation, 2014

1. London
2. New York

3. Paris
4. Tokyo
5. Singapore
6. Seoul
7. Amsterdam
8. Berlin
9. Hong Kong
10. Vienna

The Wealth Report (Global Attractiveness, UHNWI, Relocation) - Knight Frank, 2014

1. London
2. New York

3. Singapore
4. Hong Kong
5. Geneva
6. Shanghai
7. Miami
8. Dubai
9. Beijing
10. Paris

Decoding Global Talent (Global Attractiveness, Employment, Relocation) - Boston Consulting Group, 2014

1. London
2. New York

3. Paris
4. Sydney
5. Madrid
6. Berlin
7. Barcelona
8. Toronto
9. Singapore
10. Rome

City Momentum Index (Economic/Real Estate Momentum) - Jones Lang Lasalle Q1 2014

1. San Francisco
2. London
3. Dubai
4. Shanghai
5. Wuhan
6. New York
7. Austin
8. Hong Kong
9. San Jose
10. Singapore

Global Cities Index - AT Kearney, 2014

1. New York
2. London

3. Paris
4. Tokyo
5. Hong Kong
6. Los Angeles
7. Chicago
8. Beijing
9. Singapore
10. Washington

Cities in Motion Index (Economy, Intellectual Capital, Technology, Governance) - IESE, 2014

1. Tokyo
2. London
3. New York

4. Zurich
5. Paris
6. Geneva
7. Basel
8. Osaka
9. Seoul
10. Oslo

The World's Most Influential Cities (Business, Foreign Investment, Finance) - Forbes, 2014

1. London
2. New York

3. Paris
4. Singapore
5. Tokyo
6. Hong Kong
7. Dubai
8= Beijing
8= Sydney
10= Los Angeles
10= San Francisco Bay Area

Global Economic Power Index (Economy) - Florida and Mellander, 2012

1. New York
2. London

3. Tokyo
4= Paris
4= Hong Kong
6. Chicago
7. Singapore
8. Shanghai
9. Los Angeles
10. Zürich

Global Cities Investment Monitor (Foreign Direct Investments, Greenfield) - KPMG, 2013

1. London
2. Hong Kong
3. Shang Hai
4. Sao Paulo
5. New York
6. Beijing
7. Moscow
8. Sydney
9. San Francisco
10. Paris

Global Real Estate Investment - Jones Lang Lasalle, 2014

1. London
2. New York

3. Tokyo
4. Paris
5. Los Angeles
6. Singapore
7. Washington DC
8. Chicago
9. Beijing
10. Hong Kong

Dynamics Of A Global City (Office Market Investment) - Savills, 2014

1. London
2. New York

3. Tokyo
4. Paris
5. Los Angeles
6. San Francisco
7. Boston
8. Washington DC
9. Sydney
10. Chicago

Winning in Growth Cities (Real Estate Investment) - Cushman & Wakefield, 2014

1. New York
2. London

3. Tokyo
4. Los Angeles
5. San Francisco
6. Paris
7. Chicago
8. Washington DC
9. Dallas
10. Hong Kong

Annual Foreign Investment Survey (Real Estate Investment) - AFIRE, 2014

1. London
2. New York

3. San Francisco
4. Houston
5. Los Angeles
6. Tokyo
7. Madrid
8. Munich
9. Paris
10. Washington DC

The World's Crowdfunding Capital (Business) - Forbes, 2014

1. London
? New York

? San Francisco

Mastercard Global Destination Cities Index (Tourism) - 2014

International overnight visitors
1. London
2. Bangkok
3. Paris
4. Singapore
5. Dubai
6. New York
7. Istanbul
8. Kuala Lumpur
9. Hong Kong
10. Seoul

International overnight visitor spending
1. London
2. New York

3. Paris
4. Singapore
5. Bangkok
6. Seoul
7. Barcelona
8. Dubai
9. Taipei
10. Istanbul

Global Retail Report (Retail Market and Shopping) - CBRE, 2014

1. London
2. Dubai
3= New York City
3= Moscow
5. Shanghai
6= Paris
6= Hong Kong
8= Beijing
8= Singapore
10. Madrid
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World