U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 12-01-2014, 07:28 AM
 
Location: Portsmouth, UK/Swanage, UK
2,158 posts, read 1,484,139 times
Reputation: 869

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post
For all of the USA's history America has been at war bar a couple of years.

Mexican-American war
American civil war
American war for independence
WW1
WW2
Cold war
Various ''wars'' against Terrorism since the early 2000s
(e.g. the fake war for oil and political Control)

What an interesting history!!
Was that being sarcastic?

To be fair though a lot of US history is very interesting. But Britain's history is as or more interesting, and theres more of it! haha
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-01-2014, 07:46 AM
 
1,689 posts, read 1,734,490 times
Reputation: 1344
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irene-cd View Post
Friendliness: USA
-----------------
Location: tie
-----------------
Lifestyle: USA
----------------
Weather: USA
---------------
Nightlife: USA
---------------
Tourist attractions: USA
--------------
Economic diversity: USA
-------------
Cultural contribution: USA
-------------
Urban living: USA
------------
History: USA
-----------
Architecture: USA
-----------
Transportation: Australia
------------
Education: Neither one
----------
Natural scenery: USA
-----------
Cost of Living: USA
-----------
Political Stability: Australia
-----------
The Politics: Australia
----------
Economical Stability: Australia
----------
Fun: USA

come to think of it, Canada and the UK are kinda meh
Native Americans more than 250 tribes, languages, cultures count as American history.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-01-2014, 07:52 AM
 
Location: Portsmouth, UK/Swanage, UK
2,158 posts, read 1,484,139 times
Reputation: 869
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irene-cd View Post
Native Americans more than 250 tribes, languages, cultures count as American history.
Yes, that's true, but did they recorded their history like the Europeans, Asians and North Africans?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-01-2014, 07:57 AM
 
1,689 posts, read 1,734,490 times
Reputation: 1344
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas182 View Post
Yes, that's true, but did they recorded their history like the Europeans, Asians and North Africans?
they did but europeans destroy it.... the spaniards for example burned the mayan library which had more than 4 thousand years of indigenous of the americas history recorded.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-01-2014, 08:07 AM
 
Location: London, UK
9,980 posts, read 8,111,605 times
Reputation: 3473
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas182 View Post
Was that being sarcastic?

To be fair though a lot of US history is very interesting. But Britain's history is as or more interesting, and theres more of it! haha
Yes I was being sarcastic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irene-cd View Post
Native Americans more than 250 tribes, languages, cultures count as American history.
That's true I overlooked that but we know almost nothing of their History, Pre-Colonial history in general though will always be more interesting because its never taught..

Pre-Colonial African history for example is so interesting.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-01-2014, 08:24 AM
 
Location: Munich, Germany
1,506 posts, read 777,690 times
Reputation: 1006
Friendliness: ?
Location: UK
Lifestyle: Australia
Weather: Australia
Nightlife: Australia
Tourist attractions: USA
Economic diversity: ?
Cultural contribution: USA
Urban living: UK
History: UK
Architecture: UK
Transportation: UK
Education: Canada
Natural scenery: USA, Canada second
Cost of Living: USA
Political Stability: ALL
The Politics: Canada
Economical Stability: Canada
Fun: Australia
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-01-2014, 08:41 AM
 
Location: Portsmouth, UK/Swanage, UK
2,158 posts, read 1,484,139 times
Reputation: 869
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irene-cd View Post
they did but europeans destroy it.... the spaniards for example burned the mayan library which had more than 4 thousand years of indigenous of the americas history recorded.
That's terrible! That actually makes me angry! We Europeans where so ignorant!

Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post
Yes I was being sarcastic.


That's true I overlooked that but we know almost nothing of their History, Pre-Colonial history in general though will always be more interesting because its never taught..

Pre-Colonial African history for example is so interesting.
I'd be interested. I know nothing about pre-colonial African history and I think it would be great to know more... We all know about the Egyptian Empire, the Roman Empire, and the English Empire! But pre colonial African history sounds like a very important part of history that should be taught in schools! After mankind did come from Africa... I heard somewhere that in central Africa (don't know where) there was an old civilisation and they believe it was one of the first ones in human history. Also, I think schools need to teach more about the horrific things Europeans (including the English empire) did to the Africans during the slave trade!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-01-2014, 08:55 AM
 
1,689 posts, read 1,734,490 times
Reputation: 1344
Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post
Yes I was being sarcastic.


That's true I overlooked that but we know almost nothing of their History, Pre-Colonial history in general though will always be more interesting because its never taught..

Pre-Colonial African history for example is so interesting.
mayans, aztecs, incans, apaches, etc.

the thing is they were so destroyed that only remnants of their civilizations remain.... sort of like australian aborigines who have been around as a culture for more than 60 thousand years but today there is not much left of their ways.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-01-2014, 09:06 AM
 
Location: London, UK
9,980 posts, read 8,111,605 times
Reputation: 3473
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas182 View Post
I'd be interested. I know nothing about pre-colonial African history and I think it would be great to know more... We all know about the Egyptian Empire, the Roman Empire, and the English Empire! But pre colonial African history sounds like a very important part of history that should be taught in schools! After mankind did come from Africa... I heard somewhere that in central Africa (don't know where) there was an old civilisation and they believe it was one of the first ones in human history. Also, I think schools need to teach more about the horrific things Europeans (including the English empire) did to the Africans during the slave trade!
The thing is Jas, old colonial ideas that Africans (And non-whites in general) are inferior, dumb, ugly and primitive are still in force and it irritates me when people say ''Racism doesn't exist'' because the sheer fact that a true world human history isn't taught in schools tells us everything. The only time we talk about India, ''Africa'' in history lessons is when we're also talking about British colonialism or in the case of Africa, slavery.

Imagine you happen to be Black and the only thing you learn about your history is that your people were slaves? Yet you learn about the Romans, British Empire, European Exploration of the world and the Greeks. The fact we learn about European exploration of the world only in a positive light (have you noticed that!) tells us everything we need to know about how the world is structured.

I can say for a fact also the only reason we learn about Ancient Egypt is because its not really ''Black Africa'' but more Arabia..

Something that I recently discovered is that (shock, horror ) Africans actually had empires that were more developed and organised that Europe (middle ages) at the time.

Songhai Empire
Songhai Empire - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Mali Empire
Mali Empire - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Great Mosque of Djenné is one of the lasting legacy.

Ethiopian Empire
Ethiopian Empire - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Ghana Empire
Ghana Empire - 10 Timeless Events of Ancient Ghana Kingdom

Timbuktu was thought to be the most influential city where people from all over the world (probably Southern Europe and Asia) would go there to learn in the Universities.

Quote:
The study of African history and culture has yet to achieve liberation from stereotypes and prejudices rooted in a colonialist and racist worldview
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-01-2014, 09:43 AM
 
Location: Portsmouth, UK/Swanage, UK
2,158 posts, read 1,484,139 times
Reputation: 869
Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post
The thing is Jas, old colonial ideas that Africans (And non-whites in general) are inferior, dumb, ugly and primitive are still in force and it irritates me when people say ''Racism doesn't exist'' because the sheer fact that a true world human history isn't taught in schools tells us everything. The only time we talk about India, ''Africa'' in history lessons is when we're also talking about British colonialism or in the case of Africa, slavery.

Imagine you happen to be Black and the only thing you learn about your history is that your people were slaves? Yet you learn about the Romans, British Empire, European Exploration of the world and the Greeks. The fact we learn about European exploration of the world only in a positive light (have you noticed that!) tells us everything we need to know about how the world is structured.

I can say for a fact also the only reason we learn about Ancient Egypt is because its not really ''Black Africa'' but more Arabia..

Something that I recently discovered is that (shock, horror ) Africans actually had empires that were more developed and organised that Europe (middle ages) at the time.

Songhai Empire
Songhai Empire - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Mali Empire
Mali Empire - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Great Mosque of Djenné is one of the lasting legacy.

Ethiopian Empire
Ethiopian Empire - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Ghana Empire
Ghana Empire - 10 Timeless Events of Ancient Ghana Kingdom

Timbuktu was thought to be the most influential city where people from all over the world (probably Southern Europe and Asia) would go there to learn in the Universities.
That thinking needs to change! I can now see why you believe that our government are slightly racist... Because if they weren't, then they would make sure that pre-colonial African history would be included in the school curriculum. This would get rid of that wrong stereotype that Africans are "primitive", all humans have equally the same amount of intelligence and feelings as each other, and the fact that African history isn't included is most likely one of the reasons why black people don't feel part of the western world. It just annoys me that a very important part of history is taken out because of what some white middle aged, ruling class, elitist thinks! Bout time we included all forms of human history into the curriculum, and teach the negatives and positives of what each empire or nation did at that time! (And this is coming from a right wing patriotic Brit!)
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top