Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2015, 05:04 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,106,791 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamban View Post
With some exceptions and exemptions.

If I come on a holiday there I can still use the signature, as I did in 2012
True. Local cards, must have PIN/tap ... we'll still take visitors money via signature

Old 01-19-2015, 02:58 AM

1,675 posts, read 2,838,320 times
DISCLAIMER:
I DO NOT CONSIDER THE USA AN ANGLO NATION SO I WILL NOT INCLUDE IT ON THE LIST, AS IT IS NOT IN THE COMMONWEALTH AND AFTER ITS INDEPENDENCE 337 YEARS AGO, THE USA HAS BECOME VASTLY DIVERSE AND A SUPER POWER OF ITS OWN WITH INFLUENCES FROM ALL OVER THE WORLD.

**THE USA HAS DEVELOPED AN ORGANIC MODERN AMERICAN CULTURE WITH WORLDWIDE INFLUENCES THAT DIFFERS GREATLY FROM BRITISH CULTURE.

**AFTER LIVING IN THE US FOR SEVERAL YEARS, I CAN ASSURE YOU ALL THAT MOST AMERICANS ARE NOT FAMILIAR WITH THE ANGLO CONCEPT THROWN HERE, MUCH LESS THEY CONSIDER THEMSELVES SUCH....

**AMERICANS VALUE THEIR OWN FAMILY HISTORY AND ANCESTORS MORE THAN AN ANGLO POLITICAL TERM.

**MOST AMERICANS SEE THE UK AS A FRIENDLY FOREIGN COUNTRY WITH LITTLE TO NO RELATION IN THEIR OWN LIVES.

So without further due, let's start:
--------------------------
Friendliness: CANADIANS WIN
CANADA: provincial, almost naively backwards, friendly but tiresome with the constant we're better than Americans and the world loves us talk. Canadians are desperate for recognition and their Canadianness is based off of the concept that they are not Americans. (they should just give it up and become part of the US)

AUSTRALIA: they suffer from a huge inferiority complex in relation to Europe and the US... however when australians visit asia and other non-western countries they act arrogant, superior, and self entitled but you can quickly destroy them by acting sophisticated, cultural, graceful and speaking diverse number of languages in front of them, Aussies are not sophisticated creatures, and when they're exposed to someone who acts sophisticated they quickly get insecure, many get aggressive too (see attack against french tourist in a melbourne bus video)

BRITS: they're kind of colorful in a stereotypical way, but a bit pompous, much more interesting as a people than Canadians and Australians. A bit deluded though, the UK feels very washed up when it comes to world affairs, no one cares about them anymore though they still think the world fears the UK!! often desperate to be seen as close to the US even though Americans are largely ignorant, oblivious or uninterested in the UK.
----------------------------
CANADA: good if you want to visit the US.

AUSTRALIA: good if you want to visit South east Asia.

UK: good if you want to see Europe.
---------------------------------
Lifestyle: UK WINS
AUSTRALIA: its a suburban wasteland and that influences the lives of people there, yeah sydney and melbourne have nice CBD's but it's nothing to write home about either!!!
After you've experienced the sounds of Rio, the funkiness of Amsterdam, the colors of Mexico city, the crowds of Tokyo, the speed of NYC, the street life of Nairobi, the markets of Marrakech!!! Sydney and melbourne are gonna be pretty meh!!! to you!!!

CANADA: another suburban wasteland, Montreal is pretty cool though, the rest is your typical suburban cities where u need a car to go places.

UK: it's european with european cities where pedestrians have priority over cars, Brits treasure european living and that is a huge factor!! British cities unlike australian and canadian cities are interesting urban conglomerates where u get to see and do stuff around you by walking, cycling or using public transportation!!!
----------------------------------
weather: Hard to say

AUSTRALIA: it's sunny but TOO HOT.... I mean the sun gives you headaches there!!! summers are hell!!!

CANADA: it's too cold, though summers are sunny and nice!

UK: there is only one weather there (RAINY AND GLOOMY)
--------------------------------
Nightlife: UK wins

AUSTRALIA: yeah you can hang around some bars in sydney and melbourne but lets be honest... once you experienced nightlife in mexico city, hong kong, berlin, bangkok, miami etc. etc. they're gonna be pretty meh!!!

CANADA: montreal has an ok nightlife, the rest are kinda lame, toronto is actually quite crappy in terms of nightlife.

UK: london has a pretty awesome nightlife though for its megalopolis size its nightlife is not as cool as it should be (other megalopolis do not sleep, Shanghai, NYC, mexico city, Tokyo), still the UK has a European style nightlife so it wins.
------------------------------
Tourist attractions: UK wins

AUSTRALIA: too big and spread out, traveling around to see its attractions which are mostly natural is very expensive!

CANADA: see Australia.

UK: it's easy to travel around and plenty of attractions packed in that small island! from old quaint cities, to colorful diverse places, ancient fortresses and castles, charming highlands, towns and coastlines all within day's reach!
-------------------------------
Economic diversity: UK wins
The other two Canada and Australia are diverse economically and very wealthy but UK is larger population wise so I assume is more diverse economically!
Cultural contribution: UK wins

AUSTRALIA:
anglo aussies contribution to the world is..... tim tam cookies???

the REAL australians aborigines who are NOT anglo in any way shape or form have plenty of contributions though: aboriginee dotted art, didgeridoos, boomerangs, cool wildlife such as kangaroos, koalas, 60 thousand years of culture (all native to australia) they have NOTHING to do with the white anglo aussies though.

CANADA: anglo canadian contribution to the world is maple syrup!

Native Canadians on the other hand (they are not anglo) have plenty of contributions, they gave the world the igloo! beautiful art such as totem poles, colorful pow wows dances, renewable sustainable fishing and thousands of years of history!!!

UK: shakespeare, invaded the world, english language blah blah blah!
-----------------------------
Urban living: UK wins

CANADA AND AUSTRALIA: are mostly suburban wastelands!!!
History: UK wins

CANADA AND AUSTRALIA: anglos in those places lack interesting histories ( I am not counting the native and aboriginal histories which both expand thousands of years)
---------------------------
Architecture: UK wins

CANADA AND AUSTRALIA: mostly American style architecture (skyscrapers) or copies of British colonial
Transportation: UK wins

you can get anywhere in the UK by bus, train... in Australia or Canada u have to drive yourself to most places!!!
Education: no idea
-------------------------
Natural scenery: Canada and Australia win
Green, lush, wild, beautiful in Canada;s case, Australia is more dry, but also has jungles and nice beaches.

UK: mostly just hills and cliffs on the coast!
Political Stability: Australia wins
Canada has Quebec trying to break apart, the UK has scotland
------------------------
Cost of living: Canada wins
UK is VERY EXPENSIVE, australia is even more expensive!
-----------------------
The Politics: you already mentioned political stability!
Economical Stability: Australia and Canada win

Old 01-19-2015, 03:24 AM

22,216 posts, read 21,655,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irene-cd View Post
**AFTER LIVING IN THE US FOR SEVERAL YEARS, I CAN ASSURE YOU ALL THAT MOST AMERICANS ARE NOT FAMILIAR WITH THE ANGLO CONCEPT THROWN HERE, MUCH LESS THEY CONSIDER THEMSELVES SUCH....
The Anglo concept is overdone on this forum. It's not a term even used here, and people for the most part, just don't pay attention to the US or Canada other than news stories about tornadoes or moose attacks.

The UK is more relevant due to the amount of poms here, but most people know little about it, or don't really talk about it, or don't even really have a view about it. The fact that they play rugby and cricket, is a bonus though.

Australia is obviously the most important of those countries to NZ, but I've never felt any sense of anglo unity when I've been there. It might be similar, but it still feels very different to me.

Old 01-19-2015, 07:43 AM

26,874 posts, read 37,997,315 times
People who are saying there is nothing anglo about the U.S. (and other countries too BTW) are looking at things very selectively.

Just the language commonality puts you in the anglo sphere with everything from nursery rhymes, literature at all levels starting with little kids, etc. The legal and political systems of the U.S., although they have greatly evolved distinctly on their own over the years, are certainly very much inspired by the British system.

There is quite a lot there if you take the trouble to look for it.

Old 01-19-2015, 11:03 AM
B87

11,769 posts, read 10,589,947 times
Quote:

Old 01-19-2015, 11:04 AM

9,962 posts, read 12,375,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by b87 View Post
I know the only if she says is stereotypes and generalisations of places and people.

Old 01-19-2015, 11:07 AM
B87

11,769 posts, read 10,589,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post
I know the only if she says is stereotypes and generalisations of places and people.
We probably get less rain than wherever she is from.

She is also constantly attacking the UK wherever possible. I'm amazed that the UK won any of those contests on that post actually.

Old 01-19-2015, 12:35 PM

9,962 posts, read 12,375,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B87 View Post
We probably get less rain than wherever she is from.

She is also constantly attacking the UK wherever possible. I'm amazed that the UK won any of those contests on that post actually.
Don't take notice of her.

All her knowledge is based on stereotypes and generalisations. According to her Australia is just suburbs, snakes and deserts. Lets not mention the mountains, Rainforests and Temperate woodlands or the CBDs..

Irene C-D so smart

Old 01-19-2015, 04:51 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,862,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
just don't pay attention to the US or Canada other than news stories about tornadoes or moose attacks.

Huh? I've never seen a Moose in my life actually.. I have seen a twister in Toronto though...

Old 01-19-2015, 08:02 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,106,791 times
Quote:
DISCLAIMER:
I DO NOT CONSIDER THE USA AN ANGLO NATION SO I WILL NOT INCLUDE IT ON THE LIST, AS IT IS NOT IN THE COMMONWEALTH AND AFTER ITS INDEPENDENCE 337 YEARS AGO, THE USA HAS BECOME VASTLY DIVERSE AND A SUPER POWER OF ITS OWN WITH INFLUENCES FROM ALL OVER THE WORLD.

**THE USA HAS DEVELOPED AN ORGANIC MODERN AMERICAN CULTURE WITH WORLDWIDE INFLUENCES THAT DIFFERS GREATLY FROM BRITISH CULTURE.

**AMERICANS VALUE THEIR OWN FAMILY HISTORY AND ANCESTORS MORE THAN AN ANGLO POLITICAL TERM.

**MOST AMERICANS SEE THE UK AS A FRIENDLY FOREIGN COUNTRY WITH LITTLE TO NO RELATION IN THEIR OWN LIVES.

So without further due, let's start:
Friendliness: CANADIANS WIN
CANADA: provincial, almost naively backwards, friendly but tiresome with the constant we're better than Americans and the world loves us talk. Canadians are desperate for recognition and their Canadianness is based off of the concept that they are not Americans. (they should just give it up and become part of the US)

AUSTRALIA: they suffer from a huge inferiority complex in relation to Europe and the US... however when australians visit asia and other non-western countries they act arrogant, superior, and self entitled but you can quickly destroy them by acting sophisticated, cultural, graceful and speaking diverse number of languages in front of them, Aussies are not sophisticated creatures, and when they're exposed to someone who acts sophisticated they quickly get insecure, many get aggressive too (see attack against french tourist in a melbourne bus video)

BRITS: they're kind of colorful in a stereotypical way, but a bit pompous, much more interesting as a people than Canadians and Australians. A bit deluded though, the UK feels very washed up when it comes to world affairs, no one cares about them anymore though they still think the world fears the UK!! often desperate to be seen as close to the US even though Americans are largely ignorant, oblivious or uninterested in the UK.
CANADA: good if you want to visit the US.

AUSTRALIA: good if you want to visit South east Asia.

UK: good if you want to see Europe.
---------------------------------
Lifestyle: UK WINS
AUSTRALIA: its a suburban wasteland and that influences the lives of people there, yeah sydney and melbourne have nice CBD's but it's nothing to write home about either!!!
After you've experienced the sounds of Rio, the funkiness of Amsterdam, the colors of Mexico city, the crowds of Tokyo, the speed of NYC, the street life of Nairobi, the markets of Marrakech!!! Sydney and melbourne are gonna be pretty meh!!! to you!!!

CANADA: another suburban wasteland, Montreal is pretty cool though, the rest is your typical suburban cities where u need a car to go places.

UK: it's european with european cities where pedestrians have priority over cars, Brits treasure european living and that is a huge factor!! British cities unlike australian and canadian cities are interesting urban conglomerates where u get to see and do stuff around you by walking, cycling or using public transportation!!!
----------------------------------
weather: Hard to say

AUSTRALIA: it's sunny but TOO HOT.... I mean the sun gives you headaches there!!! summers are hell!!!

CANADA: it's too cold, though summers are sunny and nice!

--------------------------------
Nightlife: UK wins

AUSTRALIA: yeah you can hang around some bars in sydney and melbourne but lets be honest... once you experienced nightlife in mexico city, hong kong, berlin, bangkok, miami etc. etc. they're gonna be pretty meh!!!

CANADA: montreal has an ok nightlife, the rest are kinda lame, toronto is actually quite crappy in terms of nightlife.

UK: london has a pretty awesome nightlife though for its megalopolis size its nightlife is not as cool as it should be (other megalopolis do not sleep, Shanghai, NYC, mexico city, Tokyo), still the UK has a European style nightlife so it wins.
------------------------------
Tourist attractions: UK wins

AUSTRALIA: too big and spread out, traveling around to see its attractions which are mostly natural is very expensive!

CANADA: see Australia.

UK: it's easy to travel around and plenty of attractions packed in that small island! from old quaint cities, to colorful diverse places, ancient fortresses and castles, charming highlands, towns and coastlines all within day's reach!
Economic diversity: UK wins
The other two Canada and Australia are diverse economically and very wealthy but UK is larger population wise so I assume is more diverse economically!
Cultural contribution: UK wins

AUSTRALIA:
anglo aussies contribution to the world is..... tim tam cookies???

the REAL australians aborigines who are NOT anglo in any way shape or form have plenty of contributions though: aboriginee dotted art, didgeridoos, boomerangs, cool wildlife such as kangaroos, koalas, 60 thousand years of culture (all native to australia) they have NOTHING to do with the white anglo aussies though.

CANADA: anglo canadian contribution to the world is maple syrup!

Native Canadians on the other hand (they are not anglo) have plenty of contributions, they gave the world the igloo! beautiful art such as totem poles, colorful pow wows dances, renewable sustainable fishing and thousands of years of history!!!

UK: shakespeare, invaded the world, english language blah blah blah!
-----------------------------
Urban living: UK wins

CANADA AND AUSTRALIA: are mostly suburban wastelands!!!
History: UK wins

CANADA AND AUSTRALIA: anglos in those places lack interesting histories ( I am not counting the native and aboriginal histories which both expand thousands of years)
Architecture: UK wins

CANADA AND AUSTRALIA: mostly American style architecture (skyscrapers) or copies of British colonial
Transportation: UK wins

you can get anywhere in the UK by bus, train... in Australia or Canada u have to drive yourself to most places!!!
Education: no idea
Natural scenery: Canada and Australia win
Green, lush, wild, beautiful in Canada;s case, Australia is more dry, but also has jungles and nice beaches.

UK: mostly just hills and cliffs on the coast!
Political Stability: Australia wins
Canada has Quebec trying to break apart, the UK has scotland
------------------------
Cost of living: Canada wins
UK is VERY EXPENSIVE, australia is even more expensive!
-----------------------
The Politics: you already mentioned political stability!
Economical Stability: Australia and Canada win
I've have noted the only correct statement in this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.