Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-26-2014, 02:24 PM

33 posts, read 34,015 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Its funny because when I was in the UK i was thrilled with the London Tube and how extensive it was.. Also, really liked the plentiful and cheap flight options not just within the UK but to the rest of Europe.. We in N.A always feel a bit deprived vs Europe in general when it comes to Rail and cheap air travel options. I didn't travel by rail throughout the UK though so I suppose my experience is rather limited.. I couldn't imagine anyone driving in the centre of London though lol.. like just take the Tube

Highways become pretty annoying actually - I drove from Richmond Va to Washington D.C and it was PAINFULLY slow.. Driving in Seattle, Boston, S.F and Toronto - NIGHTMARE and none really better than the other!! The U.S has some great highway connectivity and open roads but when it comes to driving in urban areas they are every bit as painful in my experience as in Canada's big cities - Toronto and Montreal and by and large the vast majority of us in N.A aren't travelling from coast to coast, we travel in overly congested urban areas with painfully long commute times.
You are right, the London underground is excellent. It is very expensive though, and it only serves London. The rest of the British rail network is madly pricey and most of it is very slow. The UK is not a car friendly place. Roads are in a constant state of disrepair and driving anywhere always takes much much longer than it should. Unreasonable speed restrictions, road works, average speed cameras, and meandering indirect road networks all make things worse than it has to be. Plus, when you get to wherever it is you are going there will probably be nowhere to park, and if you do find a parking place it will cost too much.

Old 12-26-2014, 03:00 PM

9,182 posts, read 12,126,828 times
and on top of that, you have to drive on the left side

Old 12-26-2014, 03:39 PM

1,446 posts, read 1,955,488 times
Friendliness: Canada
Lifestyle: Australia
Weather: Canada
Nightlife: USA
Tourist attractions: USA
Economic diversity: USA
Cultural contribution: UK
Urban living: Tie
History: USA and UK
Architecture: UK
Transportation: UK
Education: Australia
Natural scenery: Canada
Cost of Living: USA
Political Stability: Canada/Australia?
The Politics: Not sure
Economical Stability: Not sure
Fun: USA

Old 12-27-2014, 11:10 AM

471 posts, read 621,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas182 View Post
Which Anglo country is the best out of all these things, UK, USA, Canada or Australia:

Friendliness:
Weather:
Nightlife:
Tourist attractions:
Economic diversity:
Cultural contribution:
Urban living:
History:
Architecture:
Transportation:
Education:
Natural scenery:
Cost of Living:
Political Stability:
The Politics:
Economical Stability:
Fun:

I think:

Friendliness: All country tie
Lifestyle: Tie between Aus and Canada
Weather: Tie between Aus and parts of the US
Nightlife: Only experienced UK nightlife before so can't say
Tourist attractions: All country tie
Economic diversity: All country tie
Cultural contribution: All country tie
Urban living: Tie between USA, Canada and Aus
History: UK
Architecture: USA
Transportation: USA
Education: Not sure
Natural scenery: Aus
Cost of Living: Not sure
Political Stability: All country tie
The Politics: Australia
Economical Stability: Australia
Fun: Australia
When I think of an Anglo person I visualize Daniel Craig or Emma Watson. Obama, Kardashian, or the average American joe is quite distant from my concept of an Anglo person.

Political Stability Canada, Australia, and UK (All members of the same monarchy). Bill O Reilly, Reps and Dems have a constant political war corrupted by power and money and the lobbist from the 1 percenters.

Economy: The USA is the most powerful (Empire).

Military: USA. Europe would be taken/conquered by Russia if Europe did not have military protection from the USA.

Everything else the USA wins excluding transportation and urban living. UK has walkable modern cities and urban living there is the best of the 4.

Old 12-27-2014, 11:19 AM

22,216 posts, read 21,671,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiResident View Post
Military: USA. Europe would be taken/conquered by Russia if Europe did not have military protection from the USA.
Rather an outdated view, I think.

Old 12-27-2014, 11:22 AM

1,267 posts, read 1,247,423 times
Quote:
When I think of an Anglo person I visualize Daniel Craig or Emma Watson. Obama, Kardashian, or the average American joe is quite distant from my concept of an Anglo person.

Political Stability Canada, Australia, and UK (All members of the same monarchy). Bill O Reilly, Reps and Dems have a constant political war corrupted by power and money and the lobbist from the 1 percenters.

Everything else the USA wins excluding transportation and urban living. UK has walkable modern cities and urban living there is the best of the 4.
The US certainly doesn't win in history or cultural contribution - think about which language we're posting in for starters And no, Europe would not be conquered by Russia without US protection, Putin can barely sort out his own back yard.

Old 12-27-2014, 12:35 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,877,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbobcat View Post
The US certainly doesn't win in history or cultural contribution - think about which language we're posting in for starters And no, Europe would not be conquered by Russia without US protection, Putin can barely sort out his own back yard.

I also think natural scenery and economy can be challenged.. People think just because a country has the largest economy means its the 'better' economy.. The U.S performs well on a per capita GDP basis but for median family/household incomes I think Canada and Australia perform just as well as the U.S.. Not sure about the U.K.

Old 12-27-2014, 01:06 PM

9,182 posts, read 12,126,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
The U.S performs well on a per capita GDP basis but for median family/household incomes I think Canada and Australia perform just as well as the U.S.. Not sure about the U.K.
List of countries by GDP (nominal) per capita - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 12-27-2014, 01:13 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,877,316 times
Don't you read details lol?? I already stated that the U.S has a higher GDP per capita but this doesn't give a good picture of how the average family is doing because the top 5-20 percent can skew things quite a bit in terms of per capita GDP..

You can also look at this as well..

The Middle Class In Canada Is Now Richer Than In America: NYT

Its all fine and dandy in a poll like this and make nominal per capita GDP your measuring stick to justify a U.S tick (which really should be Australia if that is the case) - but the truth in details is always more grey and complicated. In many instances countries like the Canada/Australia and probably the UK have been closing in on the U.S in terms middle class incomes and in the case of Canada now slightly exceed it. PPP GDP is a better measure than nominal in terms of local buying power btw otherwise Australia kicks all our butts

Old 12-27-2014, 03:59 PM

2,173 posts, read 2,581,637 times
Quote:

Cough! You forget the British military might!?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=voeo0Oiox-c

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JhizxjuM7Ps

The British Army is the best trained in the world, and Britain being a Russian hater - we would give them, and any other country invading us, a very deadly fight on our enemies if they invaded us! We wouldn't let anyone walk over us - The British Army is much better that the US proxy thing!

This is where every anti-social teen should end up at - just for the training though, then afterwards these bad guys (and girls) should get to decide whether they should join the army or not!:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9OsV0pzywlY
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World