Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most disappointing city to visit
Los Angeles 28 22.05%
New York City 16 12.60%
Washington DC 7 5.51%
Chicago 6 4.72%
Miami 16 12.60%
Philadelphia 14 11.02%
Boston 2 1.57%
Seattle 17 13.39%
New Orleans 12 9.45%
San Francisco 9 7.09%
Voters: 127. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2014, 08:42 AM

657 posts, read 802,217 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
They could be serious. But I think some people enjoy being contrarians. Or simply liking things no one else really likes for the sake of being different.

Objectively, Detroit is probably the worst city in America. It takes depression to new lows.
Maybe East St Louis deserves that title. At least Detroit has decent parts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2014, 08:56 AM

32,097 posts, read 34,714,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A.J240 View Post
Maybe East St Louis deserves that title. At least Detroit has decent parts.
I guess I was thinking of primary cities. East St. Louis is a much smaller secondary city in its metro much like Camden, NJ. It's not that unusual to have relatively small and neglected areas of a metro area that are terrible in a variety of ways. Detroit is different. It's the primary city in its metro area and its decline, as far as American cities are concerned, is unparalleled.

Old 12-03-2014, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankCostello View Post
I always thought that for most tourists (especially Europeans) Chicago and Boston would have nothing new and interesting to offer? The people who voted for NYC are just insane I guess...
In my opinion:

Boston is distinctively American, yet has a European flair. This makes it a fascinating city.

Chicago has a brilliant skyline and nice architecture.The Chicago loop is just marvelous. This probably surprises international visitors, who probably tend to have low expectations. My brother for example, is convinced that going to Chicago is a death wish.

I don't get those that voted NYC either. What were they expecting?. I don't think I've ever heard anyone say "Yeah just went NYC...disappointing ". NYC exceeded my expectations. But it's maybe not for everyone.

Old 12-03-2014, 09:00 AM

Quote:
I guess I was thinking of primary cities. East St. Louis is a much smaller secondary city in its metro much like Camden, NJ. It's not that unusual to have relatively small and neglected areas of a metro area that are terrible in a variety of ways. Detroit is different. It's the primary city in its metro area and its decline, as far as American cities are concerned, is unparalleled.
Oh, I see.

Old 12-03-2014, 09:16 AM

531 posts, read 594,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A.J240 View Post
In my opinion:

Boston is distinctively American, yet has a European flair. This makes it a fascinating city.

Chicago has a brilliant skyline and nice architecture.The Chicago loop is just marvelous. This probably surprises international visitors, who probably tend to have low expectations. My brother for example, is convinced that going to Chicago is a death wish.

I don't get those that voted NYC either. What were they expecting?. I don't think I've ever heard anyone say "Yeah just went NYC...disappointing ". NYC exceeded my expectations. But it's maybe not for everyone.
I voted LA, but people can find a city disappointing if it doesn't match up to its hype.

New York is my favorite city in this list by far, but it's also the most talked about, photographed, filmed etc.

Old 12-03-2014, 09:26 AM

3,749 posts, read 4,964,944 times
I would have to say Seattle. Been there many times, there's just something underwhelming about the place. I enjoy Vancouver a couple hours north far more, it's a shame the border guards are such pr*cks these days.

Old 12-03-2014, 01:06 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,387,426 times
Quote:
Yes. Why is this even relevant? I simply posted two videos and you're upset because it is not the absolute best representation of the Embarcadero. The video was presumably made by a tourist just like the video of the Rambla. They weren't made by city boosters or a chamber of commerce where every street shot and camera angle is carefully selected and edited.
so you donser the error at least. That's good

Old 12-03-2014, 01:08 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,387,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
oh ok dude lol.
Orange County is distinct whether you understand that it not.

Old 12-03-2014, 01:13 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,301,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valsteele View Post
I would have to say Seattle. Been there many times, there's just something underwhelming about the place. I enjoy Vancouver a couple hours north far more, it's a shame the border guards are such pr*cks these days.

Where have you been in Seattle??.....you need to know where to go, Seattle and surrounding areas need to be discovered, is not dense and "out there" like Vancouver. There is legwork to do.

Too many people just walk around the Space Needle and take a quick stroll at Pike Place market and they think they have visited Seattle.

Old 12-03-2014, 01:28 PM

2,869 posts, read 5,136,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
It's not in the poll but what do those of you international travelers who've been to San Diego think of it?
Balboa Park and the Cabrillo Monument were really cool, but I found the rest of the city to be a bit 'meh'. Seemed like a great place to live if you have a bit of money (La Jolla etc) but I found a few smaller metros to be more interesting (Pittsburgh, San Antonio, Austin).

I repped the OP and thank him for excluding Detroit. Whether or not it's underrated is a bit beside the point. I can't figure out how anybody can possibly be disappointed after a visit to Detroit -- you know it's supposed to suck, your impressions have nowhere to go but up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World