Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most disappointing city to visit
Los Angeles 28 22.05%
New York City 16 12.60%
Washington DC 7 5.51%
Chicago 6 4.72%
Miami 16 12.60%
Philadelphia 14 11.02%
Boston 2 1.57%
Seattle 17 13.39%
New Orleans 12 9.45%
San Francisco 9 7.09%
Voters: 127. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2014, 09:31 AM

657 posts, read 802,520 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Well Detroit was one of the wealthiest cities in the U.S.It has great bones in which to transform itself back.
Many of the public spaces rival those in NYC.Not al of them are falling apart.

If you ever get to Detroit,go ride throough it wealthy neighborhoods where the wealth of families from the Gilded Age.Beautiful Mansions unlike seen anywhere.

Sure its quite acity in desperate state but there is plenty to like about it.If you neve have been ,you should not speak unless you know for sure.
Yeah, I agree with what you say. I did some research after writin that comment, and realised that there are some nice parts. Not all of it is wasteland like the media paints.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2014, 03:23 PM

2,694 posts, read 3,190,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A.J240 View Post
Yeah, I agree with what you say. I did some research after writin that comment, and realised that there are some nice parts. Not all of it is wasteland like the media paints.
That's basically how our media works at this point. For example, it's unsettling how many people actually think that Chicago is the most dangerous city in the United States, even though it's not even close.

Old 12-11-2014, 03:44 PM

2,339 posts, read 2,932,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theropod View Post
Parents and relatives visited Chicago and they got extremely depressed there.
I agree, Chicago looks run down except for downtown, which is actually pretty nice. And it is very cold and too expensive for what it has to offer.

Old 12-11-2014, 03:58 PM

9,469 posts, read 10,803,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post
I've spent 20+ years enjoying Detroit's downtown, museums, sports, concerts, pubs, festivals, architecture, and people. multiple times per year.

I have never.....never once, been hassled by anyone, for any reason, at all, ever. And I do most of it on foot.

I do loooooove the opinions of people who have never set foot in within city limits though.

fusion, have you ever been in the Guardian Building? I think you should next time, if you haven't been.

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=i&rct=j...17671454357573

This photo is a perfect example of why I see Detroit as a tragedy. Detroit has so many art deco buildings, as its heyday was during the early 20th century and its buildings reflect that. Many other North American cities have torn down much of their old buildings from this era to make room for newer things. Detroit spent the last 40 years dying, so its a bit of a time capsule. In its current state its a mess, and a very depressing one. However if it could be revived, crime brought under control and new business and residents encouraged to move there things could change. Those old art deco buildings could be a tourist attraction if they were restored, and areas that are currently abandoned could be huge urban park spaces that no other city would have. Restoring Detroit would take decades, but there is potential for it to be a very unique place in the future. Your picture is a glimpse into what it could look like on a larger scale one day.

Old 12-11-2014, 04:47 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,797,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
This photo is a perfect example of why I see Detroit as a tragedy. Detroit has so many art deco buildings, as its heyday was during the early 20th century and its buildings reflect that. Many other North American cities have torn down much of their old buildings from this era to make room for newer things. Detroit spent the last 40 years dying, so its a bit of a time capsule. In its current state its a mess, and a very depressing one. However if it could be revived, crime brought under control and new business and residents encouraged to move there things could change. Those old art deco buildings could be a tourist attraction if they were restored, and areas that are currently abandoned could be huge urban park spaces that no other city would have. Restoring Detroit would take decades, but there is potential for it to be a very unique place in the future. Your picture is a glimpse into what it could look like on a larger scale one day.
Actually for the first time in decades,Detroit has began the slow process of turning itslf around.There is reknewed vigor and pide of the residents that call it home to make it better.More than I have ever seen,
Its encouraging to see but you are right,it will take decades but at least the process has begun.

Old 12-11-2014, 05:30 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,387,426 times
"Man, my vacation is coming up, I could sure use a week in Detroit"...said no one ever.

Old 12-11-2014, 05:45 PM

1,376 posts, read 1,313,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
"Man, my vacation is coming up, I could sure use a week in Detroit"...said no one ever.
I never think about spending a weeks vacation in any major US cities except for maybe 4 or 5 of them... I'd rather just go to the beach or mountains honestly. But most US cities leave something to be desired for the visitor outside a short trip. There's cities I like too like Chicago, Philadelphia, or Boston that I'm not sure if I would take a week's vacation to go there...though I'll always enjoy a few days here and there.

Last edited by CanuckInPortland; 12-11-2014 at 06:06 PM..

Old 12-11-2014, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckInPortland View Post
I never think about spending a weeks vacation in any major US cities except for maybe 4 or 5 of them... I'd rather just go to the beach or mountains honestly. But most US cities leave something to be desired for the visitor outside a short trip. There's cities I like too like Chicago, Philadelphia, or Boston that I'm not sure if I would take a week's vacation to go there...though I'll always enjoy a few days here and there.
It wasn't about the amount of time

Old 12-11-2014, 06:23 PM

1,376 posts, read 1,313,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
It wasn't about the amount of time
It's not really about time for me either--I wouldn't spend a days vacation in a lot of US cities. Like who would ever go to Atlanta or Dallas or Cleveland from far away for a vacation? No one I've ever met in the States, unless they're going to see family.

Old 12-11-2014, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckInPortland View Post
It's not really about time for me either--I wouldn't spend a days vacation in a lot of US cities. Like who would ever go to Atlanta or Dallas or Cleveland from far away for a vacation? No one I've ever met in the States, unless they're going to see family.
Exactly
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World