Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2014, 12:26 PM

3,562 posts, read 4,395,122 times

Advertisements

By far and without a doubt, I'd vacation in The PHILIPPINES way before vacationing in Mexico.

Vacationed in The Philippines for 3 weeks this year. BEST vacation I've had in my entire life!

Aside from Manila and surrounding areas (e.g., Taguig, Pasig, Ayala-Alabang), visited Batangas, Boracay, and my absolute favourite, Palawan Island. Fell in love with Palawan, its kind people, laid back pace, virginal topography, etc.

I live no more than an hour and 45 mins from Mexico. Sadly, due to it's current state of disarray, you could not pay me to go across the border. Mexico is no longer the place I use to visit regularly without worry or concern. Use to love visiting San Miguel de Allende.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2014, 02:09 AM

176 posts, read 631,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
Mexican food is definitely better. But there are a few dishes/deserts that both Filipinos and Mexicans have: tamales, empanadas, flan, menudo, chicharon, champurrado,

I think that's about it. Filipino food didnt get a ton of influence from Mexico for some reason, more Spanish influence.
It was a Spanish colony. The influence is definitely Spanish, not Mexican.

The PI would be much more different than Mexico, especially if you haven't been to anywhere in SE Asia before. Haven't had enough food to compare the two countries well.

Old 12-16-2014, 05:20 AM

3,635 posts, read 10,747,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm21 View Post
It was a Spanish colony. The influence is definitely Spanish, not Mexican.

The PI would be much more different than Mexico, especially if you haven't been to anywhere in SE Asia before. Haven't had enough food to compare the two countries well.
It was ruled through Mexico though. Ships went from Mexico to the Philippines, not from Spain to the Philippines. That's why it's strange that there was more Spanish influence in the food than Mexican influence.

Old 12-16-2014, 07:24 AM

10,646 posts, read 16,030,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
Ships went from Mexico to the Philippines, not from Spain to the Philippines. That's why it's strange that there was more Spanish influence in the food than Mexican influence.
How did the Spanish build ships in Mexico during that time strong enough that they could cross the pacific?

Old 12-16-2014, 08:47 AM

12,386 posts, read 8,149,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
How did the Spanish build ships in Mexico during that time strong enough that they could cross the pacific?
My first thought is that they sailed them around South America. Spain did hold practically the entire west coast up to Oregon so building materials was never a problem.

In any case it wasn't native Mexicans who went to the Philippines. Maybe some lower ranked sailors and soldiers. But most came from Spain and passed through Mexico on their way to be feudal lords in the Philippines.

Old 06-10-2015, 08:36 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,861,688 times
I would rather visit the Philippines as I've already been to Mexico, but Mexican food is my favorite overall world cuisine

Old 06-10-2015, 08:51 PM

3,379 posts, read 5,535,684 times
Isn't the Philippines known for being something like the only country with terrible food in all of East Asia?

Mexican food is impressive, but in terms of beaches I don't know which is better. I was kind of disappointed with Mexico's Caribbean coast to be honest. Not the water, but the landscape is so boring and flat. I've never been to the Pacific side, but people always rave about it, specifically Puerto Escondido, Huatulco, Zipolite...

Old 06-10-2015, 09:48 PM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,897,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse44 View Post
Isn't the Philippines known for being something like the only country with terrible food in all of East Asia?

Mexican food is impressive, but in terms of beaches I don't know which is better. I was kind of disappointed with Mexico's Caribbean coast to be honest. Not the water, but the landscape is so boring and flat. I've never been to the Pacific side, but people always rave about it, specifically Puerto Escondido, Huatulco, Zipolite...
Don't know about that I've had good Filipino food although I find the deserts weird tasting, but I do prefer Mexican food.

Old 06-11-2015, 07:33 AM

8,864 posts, read 8,444,813 times
Mexico. Philippines just doesn't interest me at all.

As for food...is there any famous Filipino cuisine? I've never seen any Filipino restaurant here.

Old 06-11-2015, 10:40 AM

349 posts, read 488,844 times
Definitely Mexico.

Pros for Mexico:

1. More exotic culture (native Aztec/Mayan mixed with Spanish).

- as a result more diverse and interesting architecture. Aztec and Mayan ruins as well as Spanish colonial architecture and modernist architecture.

2. More spectacular and diverse scenery (mountains, volcanoes, deserts, rainforests, beaches)

3. Better food - Filipino has the worst food in Asia

4. More interesting cities.

Pros for the Philippines.

1. Safer, but still dangerous by SEA standards.

2. Greater prevalence of English.

3. Closer to home and cheaper

I still plan to visit both, but Mexico definitely fascinates me/interests me a lot more. I know SEA a lot better than the Americans, and the Phils would attract me more for the novelty of an Asian Catholic country, beaches, wildlife, but you can get beaches and that in Malaysia, Indonesia, Thailand too, though the Philippines is more natural than mainland SEA, and similar to Indonesia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World