Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2014, 08:37 PM

3,379 posts, read 5,535,684 times

Advertisements

I can see the connection to New Zealand and Australia, but how did it descend in to something so far from similar in the Americas? How could it have changed that much in a mere couple hundreds of years? I know it has obviously changed within the UK over that time too, but it just seems so far removed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2014, 09:30 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,387,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse44 View Post
I can see the connection to New Zealand and Australia, but how did it descend in to something so far from similar in the Americas? How could it have changed that much in a mere couple hundreds of years? I know it has obviously changed within the UK over that time too, but it just seems so far removed.
The US was settled quite a bit earlier than NZ and AU by English speakers. The language has also been influenced by a lot more immigrants over a longer period of time. Also, as you mentioned, the language in the UK as changed as well and a lot of American English retains some things no longer in British English. The English language is continuing to change to this day. I can't speak for the other countries but in the US, new accents are still developing. Two examples of this are the California Vowel Shift and the quite unique North Cities Vowels shifts which involves vowels that have not changed in the last 1000 years elsewhere in English.

Old 12-07-2014, 10:51 PM

11,655 posts, read 12,953,701 times
Actually, some forms of UK and Irish accents do sound similar to American.

West Country accent in England is very similar to North American accents, except that they don't have vowel shifts.

Old 12-07-2014, 11:15 PM

412 posts, read 545,698 times
Probably the different immigrants that came in to the US.

Old 12-07-2014, 11:25 PM

1,051 posts, read 1,741,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theropod View Post
Actually, some forms of UK and Irish accents do sound similar to American.

West Country accent in England is very similar to North American accents, except that they don't have vowel shifts.
Agreed, and I know Aussies who genuinely can't differentiate between American and (Northern) Irish or American and Southern Scottish accents.

Canadian vowel sounds seem very Scottish influenced to me, while NE American accents sound fairly "British" in their intonation and cadence.

Old 12-07-2014, 11:48 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,353,110 times
North American English is the more conservative of the English dialects. It is British English that has undergone the most change over the centuries. Since Australian and New Zealand were settled later, those changes were brought to those countries. Certain later developments in British English, such as non-Rhoticism, did cross the Atlantic to parts of America.

Old 12-08-2014, 12:09 AM

1,051 posts, read 1,741,522 times
This is one Brit's perspective on the Australian accent and dialect: Becoming fluent in 'Australian' - Telegraph

Old 12-08-2014, 05:25 AM

43,659 posts, read 44,385,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
The US was settled quite a bit earlier than NZ and AU by English speakers. The language has also been influenced by a lot more immigrants over a longer period of time. Also, as you mentioned, the language in the UK as changed as well and a lot of American English retains some things no longer in British English. The English language is continuing to change to this day. I can't speak for the other countries but in the US, new accents are still developing. Two examples of this are the California Vowel Shift and the quite unique North Cities Vowels shifts which involves vowels that have not changed in the last 1000 years elsewhere in English.
I too think that it is the influence of the large amount of immigrants to the USA that changed the American accent to differ more from the British one.

Old 12-08-2014, 06:35 AM

1,736 posts, read 2,526,999 times
I think, due the same reason of what happened with Portuguese in Brazil and other former colonies of Portugal such as Angola and East Timor. The colonisation in both USA and Brazil happened much earlier, thus retaining features no longer in use in the former metropolises. Moreover, the contact with native tribes and inmigrants may perform a huge influence in the language. As for Brazil, the saying "bom dia" ("good morning") as "bon gee-ah", instead of "bon dee-ah", like in Portugal, is a direct influence of the kiMbundu language, spoken by former slaves coming from the area which nowadays is Angola.

Old 12-08-2014, 10:47 AM

18,504 posts, read 15,552,312 times
This documentary is from the 1980's so quite old, but the history is there. You might enjoy it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mj9jJiPwsp0

...and for a bit more background on the language itself, this is another good documentary.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VsVz5U76kX0
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World