Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where would you choose to raise your family?
USA 27 35.53%
Europe 46 60.53%
Neither 3 3.95%
Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2014, 07:30 AM

14 posts, read 19,080 times

Advertisements

We are trying to decide where to raise our family: America or Europe? Thinking of the long term benefits of the opportunities available to American children as opposed to England, France or Belgium. Any comments or advice welcome!
Are European kids happier? Are American children really more outgoing and confident? Is the education system really so much better in Europe? Do children in Europe go to summer camp? Do they have as many sports clubs and sports programmes in Europe as in America? Is Europe really any safer than the States?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2014, 08:57 AM

172 posts, read 255,116 times
Europe by a long shot. The American education system is horrendous (except for our universities). Employers here also don't care about work/life balance. You'll get fired for taking too many sick days to take care of your ill children and we have some of the worst maternity policies in the world. While other countries (like Canada or places in Europe) get up to a year paid after having a child, we are expected to come back after mere weeks and oftentimes do not receive maternity leave pay. For example, if I was to get pregnant while at my current job they offer no paid maternity leave. The only way i'd have income is if I paid myself for short term disability insurance. It's disgusting and one of the many reasons I'm thinking of moving to Vancouver, CA before starting a family.

Old 12-11-2014, 08:58 AM

4,918 posts, read 6,464,617 times
Europe, I wish I grew up in England now.

Old 12-11-2014, 09:22 AM

7 posts, read 9,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjmcgrath View Post
Europe by a long shot. The American education system is horrendous (except for our universities). Employers here also don't care about work/life balance. You'll get fired for taking too many sick days to take care of your ill children and we have some of the worst maternity policies in the world. While other countries (like Canada or places in Europe) get up to a year paid after having a child, we are expected to come back after mere weeks and oftentimes do not receive maternity leave pay. For example, if I was to get pregnant while at my current job they offer no paid maternity leave. The only way i'd have income is if I paid myself for short term disability insurance. It's disgusting and one of the many reasons I'm thinking of moving to Vancouver, CA before starting a family.
This.

Old 12-11-2014, 09:46 AM

Interesting! I hadn't even considered maternity leave, as I already have children, but England might lose their right to a whole year of maternity leave if UKIP do well at the next election.

Old 12-11-2014, 11:18 AM

27,547 posts, read 28,630,498 times
One big thing to consider is that there are likely going to continue to be far greater economic opportunities for a child who grows up in the U.S. as opposed to in Europe.

However, I'm not saying that is the be-all and end-all necessarily.

Old 12-11-2014, 11:45 AM

14,773 posts, read 21,486,569 times
Very broad choices you chose here.

A whole large country vs a whole continent? usually when most people who are looking for good places to raise a kid they look into school districts, i find it interesting you are choosing a whole country and a whole continent both of which are very diverse and different.

Old 12-11-2014, 12:12 PM

I did mention either England, France or Belgium in the op. We are very flexible and can choose to live anywhere in the EU, but prefer these 3 countries first because of the language. As far as the US goes, it would just depend on which state we can get the best job opportunities. It's a broad question because we're not very restricted at the moment.

Old 12-11-2014, 12:15 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,201,724 times
My mom always says she wishes she raised us in Europe, at least for part of our childhoods.

The US education system is steadily on a decline. In addition, the health care system, vacation time, and general lifestyle seems to be much better in Europe, particularly Northern European areas like Iceland, Sweden, Norway, Finland, etc. Denmark, the Netherlands, and Germany are also great options. Especially since Germany's colleges are now free, even to foreign students. Something to think about for when your kids are old enough to go to college.

As far as vacation time goes, I remember hearing that France gets I think the entire month of August off for vacation. I was in Punta Cana (Dominican Republic) 3 and a half years ago, and the resort I stayed at was full of French! You'll also have more places to go. Want a beach vacation? Head to Greece, Croatia, or Spain. Want history? Italy, Greece, England, France, Ireland, Russia, Portugal and Spain...so many options and all co close together that you can just take the train for a trip instead of always flying.

Aldo, Europe is a lot safer on the whole than the US. Our crime rates are just terrible. England and France have higher crime than other European countries, but still better than what we have here.

Old 12-11-2014, 12:39 PM

3,278 posts, read 5,386,038 times
USA. Gotta vote for the home team.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World