Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-19-2014, 11:03 AM

26,783 posts, read 22,537,314 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuala View Post
Every time a thread about Russia ends up in the same old same old - Stalin... Khrushchev.... How do these ghosts get resurrected every single time??
Because the very word "Russia" comes usually in opinionated "package."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2014, 11:05 AM

26,783 posts, read 22,537,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citoyen View Post
The subject is recession in russia, let's come back to it. It's more interesting.
So what's your take on it?
The last I heard - there are thoughts on nationalization of the Central bank. At least rumor has it.

Old 12-20-2014, 01:25 PM

107 posts, read 155,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
Because the very word "Russia" comes usually in opinionated "package."
You mean in U.S.?

I know some places in Europe it does.

But the are also those poeple who have no package but proud and encourangement when hearing 'Russia'.

Number of historical and political nonsense posted in this thread is enourmous. I will not try to correct it. Better stay with John McCain's words:

John McCain: Russia is a 'gas station masquerading as a country' - The Week

And remain blind. I many ways Mr. McCain was right, but this understanding requires knowledge about past and presence, not agreeing with this statement as a derogatory overgeneralizing.

And Russian federation have chance of avoiding recession next year. It is unlikely to be obtained, but it has.

My favorites in this thread, wish hed time to read it fully, this thread is just worth that briefing :

Yeltsin was nothing like Putin. For one, he believed in engagement with the world. No, he wasn't perfect, but at least the Russians had hope for a better future.

The KGB will remove any journalist who challenges Putin.

Are you one of the thousands of paid online posters/propogandists employed by the Kremlin?

Educated Russians want this
(about overthrowning of V. V. Putin)

oil-based economy

Russia has no moral or legal authority in Ukraine

the country's Orthodox heritage provides a moral framework that could be appealed to to bring the rule of law needed to create a well functioning economy

Old 12-20-2014, 02:08 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,335,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yenisey View Post

My favorites in this thread, wish hed time to read it fully, this thread is just worth that briefing :

Yeltsin was nothing like Putin. For one, he believed in engagement with the world. No, he wasn't perfect, but at least the Russians had hope for a better future.

The KGB will remove any journalist who challenges Putin.

Are you one of the thousands of paid online posters/propogandists employed by the Kremlin?

Educated Russians want this
(about overthrowning of V. V. Putin)

oil-based economy

Russia has no moral or legal authority in Ukraine
Every single one of these statements is 100% true.

Sorry, but the world doesn't blindly follow Kremlin propaganda. I suggest you tune into independent, non-Russian media sources to better understand the situation in Russia. Ignorance isn't something to be proud of; excuse-making for brutal dictatorships isn't a sustainable course of action.

If Russia doesn't want to be a North Korea or Syria-type pariah state I suggest they start questioning Putin. Otherwise, don't complain when the world turns its back to your interests. Russians have the choice of prosperity and global engagement vs. isolation and misery.

Old 12-20-2014, 02:42 PM

5,786 posts, read 4,231,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
Every single one of these statements is 100% true.
NOLA101, have you ever been to Russia?

Old 12-20-2014, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
The last I heard - there are thoughts on nationalization of the Central bank. At least rumor has it.
??? What do you mean by "nationalization"? How can it be nationalized?

Old 12-20-2014, 03:00 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,335,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maksim_Frolov View Post
NOLA101, have you ever been to Russia?
Yes, but only once. It's a wonderful place to visit. I was only able to visit Moscow/St. Petersburg and a few points in between.

I don't understand the question, though. Obviously one need not visit a country to have an opinion about a country.

Old 12-21-2014, 12:36 PM

3,866 posts, read 3,142,994 times
I think Russia will see a recession in 2015. The United States is bent on seeing Russia getting crippled economically as to keep it from returning to the heavyweight geopolitical status it had as in the former Soviet Union where it was the top nemesis of the US. The US political establishment viewed that if Russia regained political and economic dominance in Ukraine it would be in a position to have great influence in the heart of Europe at the expense of the US. A former US Secretary of State thinks that trying to isolate Russia is a big mistake because instead of being interdependent with the world Russia will transition into a self dependent nation in the vein as North Korea. Maybe a less interdependent with Europe Russia is what the US political establishment see is the lesser of 2 evils. The US and Saudi Arabia has got Russia in a tight squeeze. There is no way Putin can back down in Ukraine without being seen as weak by his own people in the same way Jimmy Carter was viewed as weak by the American people by the Iranian hostage crisis in 1979-80. If i was Putin i would try a face saving way to withdraw Russian forces from Ukraine (not Crimea) and get sanctions lifted so I could I could make the Russian economy immune to US led western economic sanctions and attacks on the ruble in the next inevitable showdown over Ukraine. Putin may have to find a successor capable of doing this similar to the way Yeltsin choose him because if he is seen as capitulating to the US I think his days will be numbered as leader of Russia.

Old 12-22-2014, 03:31 AM

Good article.

Viewing Russia From the Inside | Stratfor

Old 12-22-2014, 03:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
Obviously one need not visit a country to have an opinion about a country.
Obviously one need not visit a country to have a wrong opinion about a country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World