U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2008, 02:29 PM

355 posts, read 775,068 times

Advertisements

If you're banging your head against a keyboard all day like I am and looking to find a more primitive way of living, read on.

I always wanted to live somewhere warm. Now, I want to live somewhere warm without the influences of tourism, government, taxes, land for sale, mortgages. I don't want to have to use money at all. I only want to go to "work" for myself by foraging and hunting, all while living a stone's throw away from warm, tropical waters. I would build a primitive jungle shelter. I would never have to pay utilities as the warm tropical breezes from the ocean would cool me during the day, and invigorate me in the night. Instead of traffic, I would fall asleep to the crashing of the waves, and the primitive calls of the wild. I would amuse myself by fishing, swimming, and exploring the tropical environment.

Does this sound like heaven to you too?

This is the way life used to be before we all got too involved in technology and got driven into this coporate consumer culture state of mind. 99% of things sold to you are crap. Most people are pigeon-holed in their jobs. The rat-race was created with only about 2% actually making it ahead. Go ahead, review your own life. What do you do all day? Is it important? Better said, If you didn't set your alarm clock next Monday, would the world end?

So I'm asking you, fellow Forum readers and travelers:

Is there a paradise that exists anymore? An undiscovered, island paradise, safe from imminent dangers of volcanoes, and hurricanes/cyclones?

Only positive reponders please. Bugs, lack of amenities, other things are a minimal price to pay to escape a style of living that I can no longer tolerate. I will not be a rat in a cage anymore. I will create my own paradise. I just need a place to create it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2008, 01:46 PM

469 posts, read 2,571,767 times
Umm, island living is pretty much guaranteed to coincide with hurricanes and typhoons. That's the price you pay.

Anyway, there's thousands of islands all over the world, but I'd counsel you to think long and hard before you chuck it all and run off. Are you sure you can keep yourself alive? It's difficult to be raised in an industrial society and then try to adapt to an agrarian or hunter/gatherer lifestyle. You may not have the skills neccesary to take care of yourself. Native peoples who live in this world are raised in it, and live in tribes that support each other. Do you know how to make rope? How to make a fire from coals and then bank the coals? How to sterilize wounds? How to gut and clean an animal? How to tan a hide?

You could try joining up with some native tribe in Brazil somewhere, but most hunter/gatherer societies are insular and not welcoming to outsiders (and for good reason). You'd have to learn a new language and a completely different culture, and that's IF you're accepted. I would NOT advise trying to live on your own. You could fall and break a leg, and die in agony. A small cut could develop into an infected mess that leaves you delirious and feverish. You could get attacked by native wildlife, get malaria from mosquitos, or drown in a flash flood. This is not me being a scaremonger -- but trying to give you some perspective on your idealized dream. There's a REASON humans largely left the hunter/gatherer lifestyle for agriculture and urbanization. I'm afraid that you won't have the skills neccesary to survive, and that by the time you realize how far you're in over your head, it'll be too late.

One big issue with living on an island is storing food. It sounds like you're dreaming of a tropical paradise. But tropical islands are HOT and HUMID and thus makes it nearly impossible to store food without refrigeration. Read Jared Diamond's Guns, Germs, and Steel. He explains why food storage is so important. In temperate climates, people can cure and dry food for long periods of time, making it easier to survive harsh weather, a natural disaster, or war. On an island, like Papau New Guinea where Diamond researched, the climate rots anything that you try to store. There's also the risk of food poisoning and animals getting into your stash.

A lot of islands the world over already have established human populations and governments that aren't going to let you live there just because. Hawaii is probably not what you're dreaming of, considering the populationd density. There might be somewhere in the Carribean where you could hide out, but South America or Asia (Indonesia, the Philippines, etc.) would probably be a better bet. I'm not sure about Africa, the threat of malaria and other nasty diseases is so high, along with ethnic violence, that I'd be extremely wary of moving out to an isolated area. There's also Pitcairn Island of Mutiny on the Bounty fame, where about 50 descendants of the original mutineers still live. It's incredibly remote and incredibly small, only 2 square miles.

Last edited by Mississippienne; 01-05-2008 at 02:00 PM.. Reason: sp

Old 01-06-2008, 07:20 AM

24 posts, read 158,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RottenChester View Post
I would amuse myself by fishing, swimming, and exploring the tropical environment.
Don't forget talking to a volley ball named "Wilson"...

Old 01-06-2008, 09:04 PM

4,285 posts, read 14,541,996 times
Quite frankly, RottenChester, unless you're a survival expert, you have little or no chance of living the life you describe. Supplying enough food and other resources for yourself without outside influence is a mamoth task.

Wanna put it to the test? When the weather warms up in your area, go out in the bush for a week with nothing but a knife and some matches.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or