Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2009, 08:34 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,435,463 times

Advertisements

I could easily live the rest of my life here in Germany. I'm here now as a US Army soldier. This place is so orderly, beautiful - with so much to do. Nowadays, so many of the Germans speak english, so getting around isn't difficult. The weather isn't nearly as cold as you'd think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2009, 04:04 PM

2,975 posts, read 8,116,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ailin View Post
Being as my hubby is from Manchester, England we are giving serious consideration to moving over there. I think it would be a good fit for us both, we're not religious and right now we're stuck in the Bible Belt.
Is it as bad as that?

It's either between the south or Australia for me.

Old 02-02-2009, 04:33 PM

4,027 posts, read 7,289,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
I suspect once this thread gets going you will see lots and lots of choices going to Canada. You could count me in. I did and found it hard to get going due to so much red tape so I gave up. I would live up in the Okanogan Desert on Lake Kelowna in BC.

Mexico? Not unless you were Mexican. But even Mexicans running away from their own place of birth. From what I read and what people who lived there tell me. I would rather live in the Vietnam jungle.

Besides, Americans are forbidden to own real estate in Mexico by law.
Yep. I'd live in Toronto or Vancouver.

Old 02-04-2009, 09:16 AM

12,870 posts, read 22,026,395 times
I'd choose Quebec City, Canada.

Here's why:

1) Absolutely stunning area. It's got mountains, the river, gorgeous architecture, and a European feel.

2) The people. I've met some incredibly friendly (albeit, somewhat provincial) people in Quebec City and I love the culture. They are progressive and traditional at the same time.

3) Cost of living... it looks and feels like Europe, but minus the cost. In fact, it's cheaper than many American cities.

4) Access to friends and family. Most of my friends and family are in New England so it's not TOO far away. Instead of having to hop a flight to London or Paris, they can jump in the car and road trip up (or I can do the same).

plenty of others, but I'm pressed for time.

Old 02-04-2009, 10:33 AM

12,406 posts, read 18,972,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
Ok I believe you. But you would have a very very very hard time convincing anyone here to go down there to live. Especially if they are older and need health care. I would not live there for free rent and total free cost of living.
I have heard doctors express surprise at the excellent medical care you can get in Costa Rica.
I've read that in cities and along the shore you might face some crime, but inland, on higher land there is hardly any crime and you can hire help really inexpensively. But the catch is that not all foods are available and you'd have to learn to eat as the native population does. There is supposed to be an American community there and as it is in the mountains, it is cooler.

Old 02-06-2009, 05:24 PM

3,580 posts, read 6,304,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by International Playgirl View Post
I have moved out of the country and found that there is a pretty fair amount of us who do this kind of thing. I was curious what other people are motivated by and where Ex-Pat's are headed for their "greener grasses".
My Utopian Quest landed me in Mexico, and we love it!
I would love to move anywhere where I would never have to see winter again.

Old 02-07-2009, 01:46 AM

85 posts, read 242,750 times
Switzerland.

Old 02-07-2009, 01:47 AM

85 posts, read 242,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawn_2828 View Post
Then welcome to Kuwait.

Old 02-08-2009, 10:36 PM

163 posts, read 628,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawn_2828 View Post
+1

as a canadian raised and living in toronto, australia would be my first choice.

slight off-topic to the thread, as the OP is specifically asking those currently living in the US.

Old 02-08-2009, 10:48 PM

1,629 posts, read 5,382,832 times
We moved to Gold Coast, QLD Australia.

Decision to move...wanted to try experiencing life in another country. Spent a year traveling around the world and always remembered Australia as one of the favorites. Moved with a business visa with the requirement to find a business within 4 years.

I had a great time there, but ended up moving back. We prefer owning a business in the United States and also the late night stores and restaurants and simple discount travel websites and review sites etc. A bit of patriotism involved as well on my part too. I don't regret moving to Australia at all, I loved it. The experience made me want to try living abroad again, maybe in Tokyo or Barcelona. However, I'm pretty sure I'll keep coming back to the United States in the end. Life is about the journey anyways.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World