Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2009, 08:16 AM

17,029 posts, read 30,922,581 times

Advertisements

Havent seen any mentions of Panama. It was supposed to be somewhat of a retirement destination. Was this true or has it changed with the 'new owners' of the canal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2009, 08:29 AM

476 posts, read 2,818,440 times
I don't know very well the US but i find you're paying a lots of tax.European people think that americans pay not much tax

Old 02-10-2009, 03:56 PM

726 posts, read 2,269,153 times
If I ever leave US to live somewhere else. It would either be Canada or Martinique

Old 02-12-2009, 01:19 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,196,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
I would rather live in the Vietnam jungle.
Vietnam's good these days, but I much prefer the coast to the jungle...

Old 02-12-2009, 10:39 AM

5,963 posts, read 12,434,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
I could easily live the rest of my life here in Germany. I'm here now as a US Army soldier. This place is so orderly, beautiful - with so much to do. Nowadays, so many of the Germans speak english, so getting around isn't difficult. The weather isn't nearly as cold as you'd think.
Do they still have that sign at the airport that states "Welcome to Germany, please remember you are a visitor." - Something to that effect?

Old 02-12-2009, 01:03 PM

1,629 posts, read 5,382,532 times
Germany is a great country, I want to go visit again!

Old 02-12-2009, 01:14 PM

732 posts, read 4,157,578 times
Eastern Europe or SE Asia cause it's the cheapest places I could live on with a budget of $12,000 per year. I could alternate between them and travel to other countries.

Old 02-24-2009, 10:19 AM

43 posts, read 198,051 times
now is the time to get out. **** it going to hit the fan and big time.

Old 02-24-2009, 11:21 AM

438 posts, read 1,352,322 times
Winston Smith:
Sir,
Many expats are moving to Argentina, but not a large percentage of them to the City of Buenos Aires.
Depending on your income and what you intend for retirement, you will find that many American retirees are moving to a Vacation Resort like valley in the Cordoba province of Argentina. The main City in the Valley of Punilla is VILLA CARLOS PAZ. It is the second tourist city in the country and boasts a static population of 70k, but can go up to 200k in the summer (Dec-March), Easter Weekend, and World Rally/Dakar South America periods.
Housing can be rented (Short term during Summer = High Rates, and March-November = Low Rates)at extremely reasonable prices for extended rents (minimum two year periods).
For e.g. A Three bedroomed/Two Bathroomed, modern type home, with double garages/swimming pool, asphalt road and a view of the lakes/ mountains will go at approx U$600 per month for a two year rent. The same house will cost you double + during the summer months for a short period not exceeding 30 days.
Many Americans choose to build. A Three bedroomed/Three bath home, double garages, view of lakes mountains, all in Brick/Mortar and anti seismic, could cost less than U$100k. It is a matter of looking around and having a reliable Real Estate Agent who will look after your interests and find the right land for you to build on.
Other American families come to Argentina during the US winter and return for the latter's summer. They rent out their home(s) whilst away but have Real Estate supervision of their property when absent.
I have met many Americans/Canadians/Englismen who work on this system and make investments in Argentina in small ranches which they have exploited as B&B's - Adventure tourism, or a place to get away from the hustle and bustle of the cities.
Some "rotate" their properties with a Real Estate company to obtain bigger and better properties when financial crisis hits Argentina and inflation starts (Like right now) , or there is a need for fast cash by a seller.
Many friends have come here and bought low value properties, renovated them and make a magnificent profit which they have used for investments in other countries.
Argentina is a good deal if you have the capital and other areas, such as San Martin de Los Andes/San Carlos de Bariloche have been subjects to large investments in recent years by none other that Sylvester Stallone/Ted Turner etc.
By the way: Education is free for residents at the Primary/Senior/High School levels. University is free for residents at National Universities.
Medical Services are excellent and it is reccommended a good Medical Insurance from abroad.
Safety and Security: Buenos Aires: High Risk Rest of Country : Low Risk. If you are not too ostentatios, will never have any problems at all, just like any other country in the world. Banking: try and avoid depositing money in local banks. Keep your income outside the country and use a credit card/travelers cheques or use HSBC/Citibank or other internationally recognized banks. Having said that, Bank of America collapsed and left many a client without reimbursement. Transport: Buses are widely used and are not expensive and a magnificent infrastructure second - to - none in South America. Flights work between all major centres as long as there is not an important football (soccer) match. Cheapest New car on the road will set you back at least U$15K cash. Hire purchase plans available. LPG is used in 70% of vehicles on road and works out cheaply. Remaining 30% is diesel/ordinary fuel. Reccommend bring your car with you as new resident. Communications: Roads between major centres excellent, well marked, Toll Gate system.Internet: Many services, one sole owner/operator. Freely available and broadband/satelite connections available. Cellphones: Three competitive companies all belonging to TELECOM Argentina. TV: Direct TV/Satelite available with major international channels Full service will cost less than U$50 per month. Cable also available in urban areas. Home staff (Cook/Maid/Cheauffer) Approx U$ 500 per month per person.Home appliances: all available Cost of living: 4 member family: Living well with good food, eating out four times a month approx U$800 per month. Utilities: Energy/water/gas, Urban areas; Approx U$ 100 per month.
Hope that gives you some idea to look at or think about. I have been living here for the last 24 years and have come to love this country but will be returning to settle in the US in a couple of months for family reasons. I will miss Argentina but will return.
Hope this helps.
Good luck
Dee

Old 02-24-2009, 12:04 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,459,637 times
I want to move out of the United States just to see what else is out there in the world. I figure when I'm older I'll end up in the Boston area, so I've been trying to see as much as I can. This is part of the reason why I went to school in South Carolina (Clemson University).

I hope to move to either Paris or London. Both are expensive, but worth it. Everyone I've talked with has absolutely fawned over these cities when they went there (either visiting or semester abroad). I'm hoping if I work hard enough, I'll be across the pond in a year or two.

The reason I chose London and Paris are because they are widely known as two of the best cities on the planet. The architecture of both cities are amazing. London has a great sports scene--I don't know about Paris. Both have great nightlife. In my opinion there are 3 cities in the Western world which you can say you'd like to live without having to give a reason: New York City, London and Paris.

Not only would I be able to enjoy these fabulous cities, but it would be easy to travel around other countries and see people I know in Germany and Denmark.

Most of all, I want to experience other cultures and do my best to learn from our differences...both professionally and socially.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World