Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2008, 05:20 PM

222 posts, read 691,274 times

Advertisements

Toronto, Canada
Panama (just 1 year)

Guess that won't be happening in this life time
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2008, 10:02 PM

2 posts, read 8,717 times
New Zealand...

Genuinely nice people with a clean, culturally diverse and beautiful country.

Old 01-08-2008, 12:06 AM

1,528 posts, read 6,289,953 times
Aguascalientes Mexico (I have Family, and I LOVE the weather... its like LA except inland.. they actually have winter too, the summers are nice a winters are mild)
Manila, Philippines- I Love it... Its humid and hot but I still love it
Monterey Mexico- its like a Mexican Dallas with Mountains..and family
Guadalajara- Family, nothing that nice... sort of like a Mexican Houston

other places: Bangkok, Beijing, Mexico City (awful crime though), Nanjing, and Tapei... mostly for family reasons.

Old 01-08-2008, 01:09 AM

15,861 posts, read 21,441,250 times
Oaxaca, Mexico. Low crime, touristy but in a sort of Santa Fe way (in my opinion). I don't think there's much in my area of work there aside from the American consul though. I'm lucky enough to get to live there for a few months in the 2nd half of this year, so I'm excited.

More realistically, once out of college I hope to be able to find a job that lands me in Santiago, Chile; Copenhagen, Denmark; Granada or Sevilla, Spain; Monterrey, Mexico; anywhere in the UK; or Havana, Cuba (after Castro and only if the US does not swoop in).

Old 01-08-2008, 02:40 AM

11 posts, read 154,125 times
Default On the contrary, Americans CAN own property in Mexico..

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
I suspect once this thread gets going you will see lots and lots of choices going to Canada. You could count me in. I did and found it hard to get going due to so much red tape so I gave up. I would live up in the Okanogan Desert on Lake Kelowna in BC.

Mexico? Not unless you were Mexican. But even Mexicans running away from their own place of birth. From what I read and what people who lived there tell me. I would rather live in the Vietnam jungle.

Besides, Americans are forbidden to own real estate in Mexico by law.
Only in restricted zones, near borders is it "prohibited", and the technicality has been loopholed by a handy little formula for solving the problema! It is placed in Trust, and the foreign buyer, (i.e., American, in this case), enjoys all the rights of a landowner, while the bank holds the title. This is no different from how most Americans buy their homes (mortgages) in the US, except, the bank in Mexico can't take the property from the beneficiary of the Trust, because it isn't a debt relationship. But, my point being that the majority of home buyers in this country have to have financing to buy a home, and thus, must have a bank or mortgage company acting on their behalf, and retaining title to, their property until it is paid for. In Mexico, EVERYTHING is negotiable, no matter what's on the books, they're always willing to work with you on the details. That's what makes it so wonderful and free!! Here's my source on the subject, I have used this kind of online info gathering for the last two years while living in Mexico. Ya'll come on down, the weather's GREAT!

MEXonline.com guide to Buying Property in Mexico - Real Estate

MEXonline.com guide to Buying Property in Mexico - Real Estate

Last edited by International Playgirl; 01-08-2008 at 03:14 AM..

Old 01-08-2008, 06:48 PM

4 posts, read 18,088 times
Im currently looking at heading to Australia from the states.

Old 01-08-2008, 09:54 PM

492 posts, read 2,372,151 times
I moved away from the US for a while. I'm in South Korea, just an hour outside Seoul. I'm having a great time, but I'm looking forward to coming home as well. The more I travel, the more I love America...

Old 01-09-2008, 01:50 AM

655 posts, read 2,183,355 times
Madrid or Buenos Aires.

Being from New York, I need a 24 hour city. I also love Spanish - being Hispanic - and thus it would make sense.

I think I might live in one of those cities at some point.

Old 01-09-2008, 01:57 AM

2,916 posts, read 11,078,525 times
Exclamation A - Ã…

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
Oh please! Alesund is a tourist trap - head over to Denmark, far better scenery without all the hokey tourist stuff.

How bad does it sound for me to say that last picture reminds me of the Norway Pavillion in Disney?
Actually, it's spelled «Ålesund». Like English, "A" is the first letter of the Norwegian alphabet, but the letter "Å" is the 29th and last letter. It follows Æ and Ø.

Old 01-09-2008, 02:05 AM

2,916 posts, read 11,078,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by International Playgirl View Post
I have moved out of the country and found that there is a pretty fair amount of us who do this kind of thing. I was curious what other people are motivated by and where Ex-Pat's are headed for their "greener grasses".
My Utopian Quest landed me in Mexico, and we love it!
Where in Mexico, International Playgirl? I'm starting to consider retirement some place where money stretches a little. I've lived in Europe and North America my whole life, so new scenery in Latin America appeals to me very much. I wouldn't mind returning to Europe, except it's no less expensive than North America. So, my gaze turns south o' the border, just not sure where. Considerations include Mexico, Costa Rica, Ecuador, Chile, and Argentina.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World