Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2015, 03:41 AM

1,470 posts, read 2,079,200 times

Advertisements

It seems so...there are people that have to rank everything to be happy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2015, 04:51 AM

1,675 posts, read 2,839,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miserere View Post
But that did not stop them from grabbing their country..as we experienced in North Africa, America, Africa and Asia, colonialism does not work in the long run....so Spanish will flourish again in those lands. Americans are lucky, as Mexicans and LatAm are not North Africans but catholics and western and they will extend the life of the US for a few centuries as birthrate plummets.
Latinos are adaptable to the American culture because they share the same christian western values....

after one or two Generations they go from latino to a simple mainstream American. (look at cameron diaz, cristina aguilera, frank muniz from malcolm in the middle, jessica alba, selena gomez, carlton banks from the fresh prince of bel air or Greg geraldo from saturday night live!) they're all latinos yet you wouldnt be able to tell if you weren't told they were!!! why? because they are more American than anything, the speak english like any other American, dress like any other American, look like most Americans do, act and think like most americans!

Yet here in Europe we have arabs who have been here for 5 generations now and STILL do not function with the countries they're in, they are completely absorbed within their own arab communities and still see themselves as foreigners... there have been cases of third generation arabs who still cannot speak french despite having parents born in France

Old 02-12-2015, 09:59 PM

3,282 posts, read 3,793,911 times
What stupid things people write on here.

Old 02-12-2015, 10:29 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,863,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irene-cd View Post
that'd be like me saying english speakers all over the planet are inbred trailer trash because I watch Jerry springer!!

By the way, the most ghetto language in the world is ENGLISH.... it's in english speaking cultures where acting ghetto, loud, harsh and fighting each other like you're on a reality TV show it's encouraged... in spanish speaking countries CLASS is encouraged and those who lack it are sent to north America where they can fit in with all the walmarts and big trucks and yehaa kinda people!
Hey, look! You did just that

You do realize that combating bigotry with bigotry just makes you a bigot, right?

Old 02-12-2015, 10:39 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,500,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosa surf View Post
What stupid things people write on here.
the funny thing is that people will take these studies seriously and actually support these claims in a serious matter.

i love it, people needing the internet to tell them who is and isn't happy.

Old 02-13-2015, 12:51 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,356,551 times
Typical of my people, I am 39% happy. Since I spent much of the last several hours smiling and laughing, I shall schedule at least 5 hours of frowning and get in some scowls before bedtime. I don't want to violate statistics now.

Old 02-13-2015, 06:23 AM

1,736 posts, read 2,527,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miserere View Post
I thought it was the contrary, as Spanish is truffled with very "strong" words, alambicated insults, and a wide vocabulaty that pertains to "mala leche" or "bad milk" or "bad mood".

I bet that many languages don't have insults like..." me cag en la madr que te parió", or "me cag en dios" or "me cag en tus putos huesos", "me suda el miembro", etc, etc.
In fact, maybe no language has a so huge list of profanities as Spanish!
For each profanity in Portuguese there is a similar one in Spanish. But the other way around is not true. Such phrases as the mentioned above sound odd if translated to Portuguese.

Old 02-13-2015, 09:03 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,390,347 times
Quote:
Latinos are adaptable to the American culture because they share the same christian western values....

after one or two Generations they go from latino to a simple mainstream American. (look at cameron diaz, cristina aguilera, frank muniz from malcolm in the middle, jessica alba, selena gomez, carlton banks from the fresh prince of bel air or Greg geraldo from saturday night live!) they're all latinos yet you wouldnt be able to tell if you weren't told they were!!! why? because they are more American than anything, the speak english like any other American, dress like any other American, look like most Americans do, act and think like most americans!

Yet here in Europe we have arabs who have been here for 5 generations now and STILL do not function with the countries they're in, they are completely absorbed within their own arab communities and still see themselves as foreigners... there have been cases of third generation arabs who still cannot speak french despite having parents born in France
There is some of this in California within some Mexican and Chinese communities. I personally have known quite a few third generation people of Mexican and Chinese decent who spoke better Spanish or Cantonese than they do English. I think in places where their community is large enough, their native culture persist.

Old 02-13-2015, 09:56 AM

1,736 posts, read 2,527,393 times
Quote:
Yes, if compared with arabians or asians, but there are huge cultural differences.
Americans are pragmatic, rational and objective. Latinos, on the other hand, are very emotional and more heart-driven, sometimes stubborn.

Old 02-13-2015, 10:04 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,390,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabio SBA View Post
Yes, if compared with arabians or asians, but there are huge cultural differences.
Americans are pragmatic, rational and objective. Latinos, on the other hand, are very emotional and more heart-driven, sometimes stubborn.
Latin vs Germanic cultures.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World