Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city has more international recognition?
Miami 77 40.31%
Chicago 114 59.69%
Voters: 191. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2015, 10:40 AM

10,275 posts, read 10,335,229 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDPMiami View Post
Changing your language settings to Spanish doesn't change your IP address which is what google uses to throw results at you. This fail on your end, I let slide twice because it was hilarious. Not to mention I'm not sure if it's even a more stupid criteria than your number of nobel laureates.
It's an idiotic metric.

Detroit and Rome have about the same number of Google hits. Therefore, according to some, Detroit is equally as globally prominent as Rome, only the most important historical city on earth, and only the most important religious center in global history. Who knew?

Old 02-21-2015, 10:41 AM

1,699 posts, read 2,151,925 times
Btw this is dt Ft Lauderdale

Evanston looks like a strip mall in comparison.

Old 02-21-2015, 10:43 AM

You realize that pic is obviously Miami, right??

Ft. Lauderdale, from a tourist perspective, is obviously a million times more prominent than Evanston. I don't get what people are arguing over. No one cares if Evanston has a better "downtown" or whatever (and it really doesn't), Evanston is basically just a suburb (a nice older suburb), with a tourist value of basically zero. No one is going to travel from halfway around the world to see a typical older Midwest suburb.

Old 02-21-2015, 10:44 AM

37,132 posts, read 39,380,764 times
Is there any of those overall global city rankings that puts Miami ahead of Chicago?

Old 02-21-2015, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
It's an idiotic metric.

Detroit and Rome have about the same number of Google hits. Therefore, according to some, Detroit is equally as globally prominent as Rome, only the most important historical city on earth, and only the most important religious center in global history. Who knew?
Not to mention he failed at the very basic premise, google returns your result based on IP address, not the language settings. He will have to change his IP address and try again.

But it's funny, soon his criteria will be the number of baseball fans is a good measure of internationally recognition

Old 02-21-2015, 10:45 AM

2,545 posts, read 3,297,217 times
Quote:

Lol, I knew you were a troll. You probably don't even live in South Florida if you can't recognize that this is Miami. News flash -- Downtown Ft Lauderdale is not on the water.

Old 02-21-2015, 10:46 AM

37,132 posts, read 39,380,764 times
Quote:

So, you've never been to south florida, huh?

Old 02-21-2015, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Is there any of those overall global city rankings that puts Miami ahead of Chicago?
Probably no, because those rankings usually measure economic activity, so it wouldn't make any sense for Miami to be ranked ahead. Chicago is clearly a bigger city with a bigger economy.

But those rankings don't really have anything to do with global recognition, I don't think.

Old 02-21-2015, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzrovian View Post
Lol, I knew you were a troll. You probably don't even live in South Florida if you can't recognize that this is Miami.
Too bad I do, it came up on Fort Lauderdale search sue me, you can ask the moderators to check my IP if you don't believe me

Old 02-21-2015, 10:49 AM

1,534 posts, read 2,771,123 times
Quote:
Ft Lauderdale has approximately the same population as those 3 combined, focus on the urban area of Ft Lauderdale, and subtract out the water and there you go.

Lincoln road is for tourists, there is a bazillion other places near me for shopping than Lincoln. And within 5 minutes of walking too. The whole Miami Beach is one big shopping paradise.
And of course, there are also a bazillion other places near the residents of Chicago's near north side for shopping. And I would be a little nicer about the tourists if I were you. The economy of Miami Beach depends on them. Take way the tourists and you mostly would just have a retirement community.

Don't you remember tourism is essentially your only plausible argument for why Miami has more international recognition than Chicago?

As one of the great Miami authors, Mark Twain, (He is actually a Midwesterner, but since you feel entirely free in making things up, I am taking a little license) once said: "don't argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and then beat you with their experience." i am going to follow his advice.

The only places where Miami actually has more international recognition and renown than Chicago is in your subjective experience and delusional fantasies. You need to get off your island more often.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World