Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city has more international recognition?
Miami 77 40.31%
Chicago 114 59.69%
Voters: 191. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-17-2015, 09:04 AM

1,699 posts, read 2,139,152 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chica-Cole View Post
SDPMiami - Miami is where people is Chicago fly to in February for some sun and sand, and then return to their amazing city that has everything else to offer. Miami is fun but does not compare to Chicago, SF, NYC as a complete city.
What is so amazing about your city? You have a taller skyscraper, a baseball park?

Nightlife here is better, shopping here is better, I see more international faces here in Miami Beach than I do in Chicago, the people are more beautiful, I have a beach in my backyard, my weather is better.

I will give you that Chicago has better Chinese, Indian, and Mexican food than Miami. One category you win.

Old 02-17-2015, 09:27 AM

Location: NYC based - Used to Live in Philly - Transplant from Miami
2,307 posts, read 2,754,918 times
As somebody who had lived in 3 different continents before then lived in Miami,
I would say Miami (if we include the city of Miami Beach) is more well-known internationally than Chicago.
Chicago is a bigger city than Miami, but Miami is more well known in the world. And yes even in Asia.
And it is not because I am asian. (ha ha) but because that's a city people knew in Indonesia, Singapore, Hong Kong and Taiwan.

Now if I want to give my opinion about other things people mentioned:
1. Chicago are more culturally diverse than Miami. Miami claimed to be culturally diverse but only among Latin Americans. Not world. You can find practically every ethnic enclaves in Chicago.
2. Fashion wise, Miami is a trendsetter and one of the place people look up to for fashion.
3. In term of shopping, both Chicago and Miami have equally good selection. (I live in Philly - and shopping here is horrible).

Old 02-17-2015, 09:44 AM

1,259 posts, read 1,395,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDPMiami View Post
Who cares where McDonald's is headquartered? No one knows that unless they look it up. It doesn't add to Chicago's brand which is nonexistent. Chicago exists as a name. Miami exists as a brand, this is the difference.

When people say Miami immediately everyone around the world conjures up a type of dress, a type of lifestyle, the sexiness of Miami Beach architecture (art deco), the beach, drugs, exotic cars, spending money.

When people say Chicago, they just think American city. You can show many street photographs of Chicago and no one will guess it as Chicago whereas with Miami, if you show the art deco buildings from Miami Beach, they will be guessed Miami every single time.
I agree 100% with this post.

Old 02-17-2015, 09:55 AM

1,534 posts, read 2,756,347 times
Quote:
You can find ethnic cultural enclaves in every city. Even cities like Minneapolis have Salsa dancing, Indian food.

Chicago has a ton for sure.

However, come to Miami, you will see immediately that Miami is not like a typical American city with ethnic enclaves but rather a Latin American city with American, Russian, Jewish, Black, and etc enclaves.
So what ...Ditto for San Antonio.

A tourist brand, which Miami indeed has a strong one, is only one element in global renown/recognition.

Chicago is globally known for a hundred other things:

It is the place that invented the skyscraper, house music, improv comedy, nuclear fusion, supply-side economics, social work, the place where the prices of many of the world's agricultural commodities are set. I could go on. You might not know this, but you underestimate the intelligence and curiosity of much of the world's population, who generally know much more about America than Americans know about them.

This is not a thread about which city has a stronger tourist brand, but a thread about which city has more international recognition/renown. Chicago has international recognition/renown in the arts, business, architecture, restaurants, academia, politics, law, theater, television, film and many other fields, actually in most of human endeavor.

Miami has international recognition/renown in tourism, fashion, television and some popular music.

A city gets international recognition/renown from its internationally famous citizens. What would the Miami equivalents of this short sample of famous people affiliated with Chicago be: Al Capone, Enrico Fermi, Milton Friedman, Barak Obama, Jane Addams, Richard Wright, Oprah Winfrey, Frank Lloyd Wright, Mies van der Rohe, Carl Sandburg, John Dewey, Saul Bellow, Leo Strauss, to name a few of the global leaders in their respective fields? These are people who changed the world.

Gloria Estefan? Ricky Martin? Gianni Versace?

Compare Chicago's list of Nobel laureates with Miami's. That will tell you something about international recognition and renown.

Miami is great at what it does, but in terms of international recognition and renown, compared to Chicago, it is a South Florida backwater.

Old 02-17-2015, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asiandudeyo View Post
As somebody who had lived in 3 different continents before then lived in Miami,
I would say Miami (if we include the city of Miami Beach) is more well-known internationally than Chicago.
Chicago is a bigger city than Miami, but Miami is more well known in the world. And yes even in Asia.
And it is not because I am asian. (ha ha) but because that's a city people knew in Indonesia, Singapore, Hong Kong and Taiwan.

Now if I want to give my opinion about other things people mentioned:
1. Chicago are more culturally diverse than Miami. Miami claimed to be culturally diverse but only among Latin Americans. Not world. You can find practically every ethnic enclaves in Chicago.
2. Fashion wise, Miami is a trendsetter and one of the place people look up to for fashion.
3. In term of shopping, both Chicago and Miami have equally good selection. (I live in Philly - and shopping here is horrible).
It should be said, size is not everything. And if that's the whole base for voting Chicago, then it's absolutely ridiculous.

Rio de Janeiro is the most famous city in Brazil but it's dwarfed by Sao Paulo. I didn't know about Sao Paulo until I became an adult and began meeting Brazilians, but Rio de Janeiro I knew as a kid.

On the flip side, Jakarta Indonesia is both bigger than Chicago and NYC. But no one would say it's more famous than either.

Old 02-17-2015, 10:01 AM

lol homeinatx, it's not even worth responding to you. You're delusional man. Nobel Laureates, economics, agricultural commodities? No one cares man unless you're in academia.

Old 02-17-2015, 10:05 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,083,418 times
Quote:

Miami on the other hand attracts people for the city (Miami Beach). Also Miami has more business travelers than Chicago, the only kind of tourism Chicago might have more than Miami is domestic tourism. Because Chicago's image of hot dogs, Cubs baseball, deep dish pizza, and skyscrapers is pretty much an image that doesn't cross the atlantic ocean.
Who comes to Chicago and has a hot dog? You're really pushing stereotypes here on both sides of your story.

Just pointing out - Chicago kills Miami on business travel. It's #3 in the country right after NYC and Las Vegas. Chicago has the largest convention center in the USA and dozens of corporate headquarters and regional offices in the loop, which employs about 550,000 people. The city gets business travel by the millions, it's one of its strong points.

Miami certainly gets more international tourists, and Chicago gets around 1.3 million or something, but the city last year saw around 49 million domestic tourists and business travelers. It's weak on international, but huge on domestic.

I've been to dozens of countries over the years and talked to countless people out at bars and pubs. I've never met one who hadn't at least heard of Chicago, although mostly they know the few key items that foreigners seem to know, the large and urban, it's up north, Michael Jordan, tall buildings. Same goes for Miami. Most people have heard of it, and it's beaches, warm weather, water, parties.

People overestimate how much foreigners know about other cities. Usually they know the same 5 things everyone else knows and that's about it. Miami has a stronger brand name and gets more visitors, but it's not really blowing anyone out of the water or anything like NYC does.

Old 02-17-2015, 10:05 AM

1,259 posts, read 1,395,823 times
Quote:
lol homeinatx, it's not even worth responding to you. You're delusional man. Nobel Laureates, economics, agricultural commodities? No one cares man unless you're in academia.
He's basically grasping at straws, everyone on CD knows what was meant by the OP.

Old 02-17-2015, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
Who comes to Chicago and has a hot dog? You're really pushing stereotypes here on both sides of your story.

Just pointing out - Chicago kills Miami on business travel.
What kind of business travel? Domestic or international? because it makes a difference, we're talking international not the local farmer association convention out of Iowa.

When it comes to Business + Leisure INTERNATIONAL travel. That's right, no domestic people, Miami kills Chicago to the tune of 4 to 1.

Old 02-17-2015, 10:13 AM

1,534 posts, read 2,756,347 times
Quote:
How then are you measuring international recognition and renown, besides half-baked anecdotes, a few tourism stats and your entirely subjective impressions?

You don't respond in the face of the overwhelming evidence of Chicago's significantly greater international recognition and renown because you can't.

In your mind, Miami has greater recognition because you live there and like it. Narcissism is generally a poor basis for assessment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.