Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city has more international recognition?
Miami 77 40.31%
Chicago 114 59.69%
Voters: 191. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2015, 02:51 PM

15,331 posts, read 23,814,452 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDPMiami View Post
That's the last time, I also been in the summer. Do you want every single date I was in Chicago because that's going to be a lot?
Considering downtown has changed a lot in the last handful of years, yes it would be useful to know when you were actually there and actually where. Let me guess - you were in the Loop and actually thought a CBD would have loads of people living there?

Quote:
Amber Inn
3901 S Michigan Ave
Chicago, IL 60653
United States

Right off the 90. Many of those.
You mean like the Aloft in Miami which is the same distance away from I-95? Extended Stay America? Hampton Inn? Same thing in Miami - they're right near a freeway. At least this Amber Inn (never heard of it) is only a block away from a city train line.

Old 02-22-2015, 02:53 PM

1,699 posts, read 2,141,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
You mean like the Aloft in Miami which is the same distance away from I-95? At least this Amber Inn (never heard of it) is only a block away from a city train line.
You can find many motels and inns off the major freeways in Miami. I would never claim something ridiculous as you did.

However, Miami is in the southeast corner of Florida. If you drive to Miami, you're driving FOR Miami.

Chicago has several interstates pass through it like the 90. And so on, many people could be stopping in Chicago are simply truck drivers, road trippers, etc.

Last year I was in the summer was 2012.

Old 02-22-2015, 03:03 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,644,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
If you didn't mean that, then why were you even replying? That is my post you were quoting.

No, you're simply biased. Dallas has little global renown; Venice is one of the most iconic places on the planet.
I already explained myself. There is a huge gap between being global recognized to the level of Venice (which Dallas clearly isn't) and nobody has heard of it.

Look, Ive already told you Ive traveled extensively and I shared what the reactions were when mentioned that Im from Dallas. I know more about this than you unless you want to tell me you've traveled the world and told people you were from Dallas and shared what the reaction is.

Dallas (along with about 5-6 other cities which I won't mention because I have no interest in arguing about which is better known globally, lets just say they are similarly sized metro areas) is a B list city in terms of global recognition. The name is known most places, but many cannot associate it with anything. Many can, but many can't. Chicago and Miami are A list cities in terms of global recognition wherein people not only know the name but can tell you somethings about the city.

Old 02-22-2015, 03:03 PM

15,331 posts, read 23,814,452 times
Quote:
You can find many motels and inns off the major freeways in Miami. I would never claim something ridiculous as you did.
What I claim is not ridiculous. Most of the hotel rooms in the actual city of Chicago are downtown. Anybody familiar with the city can tell you this

Quote:
But those roadside relics mostly have faded in the background as the action moved downtown or, in the case of the Belden-Stratford, were converted into apartments a few years ago.
http://www.chicagobusiness.com/artic...he-beaten-path

Quote:
Chicago has several interstates pass through it like the 90. And so on, many people could be stopping in Chicago are simply truck drivers, road trippers, etc.
Actually, it has just a few in the actual city. I-90/94 is the largest and then there's a few miles for I-55 and I-290. The rest of them in the area aren't in the city. They are in the suburbs.

Old 02-22-2015, 05:08 PM

591 posts, read 778,233 times
Quote:
Ft Lauderdale is an example of how urban the Miami metro area is. That you can get so far away from Miami and find an urban hub like Ft Lauderdale with its own identity, downtown, and pace of life.

And it's the reason Miami metro vs Chicago metro, Miami metro is denser, has more stuff. Chicago begins to die rapidly as you leave the city limits.
if you drive from downtown Miami for just 15 miles west, the population literally drops to 0 due to the everglades. the only urban stretch of Miami metro is up and down the coast, while if you drive 30 miles west you reach cities like Naperville and Aurora, which both have over 100,000 population. drive SW for 30 miles you reach Joliet which has a population of over 100,000 as well. this just shows how far urban pockets reach in chicagoland. plus there is so much more history in Chicago, the city and the suburbs, alot of historic architecture. while Miami is fairly recent

Old 02-22-2015, 06:11 PM

36,980 posts, read 38,997,288 times
I don't get it, this guy obviously has no clue and doesn't live in Miami. Why take him seriously in any way? It's pointless.

Old 02-22-2015, 07:25 PM

2,535 posts, read 3,264,019 times
Quote:
Who cares about skyline, really? The answer is, almost no one.

Today, Caracas has 2 to 3 times as many high rises as Chicago. I bet you didn't know this, you might not even know what country Caracas is in without looking it up. And if you do know that, you wouldn't be able to tell me much more about Caracas.

I bet if you asked Europeans about tall buildings, they'd immediately think NYC. Tbh, if someone were to ask me who had the tallest skyline until recently, I would have said NYC. I just assume everything is bigger there when it comes to skyscrapers.

So building a skyline doesn't make you famous or anything like that except for the smallest niche circles. I don't know why we're even discussing it on this thread. I don't want Miami to become overloaded with high-rises because they will eventually block the sun on the beach when it begins to set.
I can't believe you are not boasting of Miami's skyline? Or posting a picture? Ops ..... you did just you thought it was Ft Lauderdale? ....But it was Miami ..... but anyone could mistake knowing what their city of residence looks like? Why did you post a skyline anyway? You say it does not matter? But... heck, I will boost of Chicago's skyline. Even if I do not live there any more. But I visit yearly.

Here it is... I am sure this is Chicago
Attached Thumbnails
Miami vs Chicago (which city has more international recognition/renown)-along-chicago-river-..jpg   Miami vs Chicago (which city has more international recognition/renown)-chicago-gold-coast-downtown.jpg   Miami vs Chicago (which city has more international recognition/renown)-chicago-oak-street-beach-...jpg  

Old 02-22-2015, 08:01 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,103,765 times
Quote:
99% of tourists stay on Miami Beach. There is simply no comparison, there is no region of Chicago that gets the comparable tourism pound for pound as Miami Beach.

Tourists in Chicago stay scattered throughout the metro, some don't even stay but drive for the day and leave since Chicago just so happens to be in the middle of the midwest. 5 hours from Detroit, 5 hours from Minneapolis.
Honestly your posts make it appear more and more you have no idea what you're talking about. Just saying.....

Old 02-22-2015, 08:01 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,923,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steeps View Post
I can't believe you are not boasting of Miami's skyline? Or posting a picture? Ops ..... you did just you thought it was Ft Lauderdale? ....But it was Miami ..... but anyone could mistake knowing what their city of residence looks like? Why did you post a skyline anyway? You say it does not matter? But... heck, I will boost of Chicago's skyline. Even if I do not live there any more. But I visit yearly.

Here it is... I am sure this is Chicago
Lol! Well played sir.

Old 02-22-2015, 08:05 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,103,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I don't get it, this guy obviously has no clue and doesn't live in Miami. Why take him seriously in any way? It's pointless.
I was thinking that too, but it's gotten pretty hilarious really, lol. The things he's grasping at went from eye rolling to crazy to kinda hilarious.

Clearly Miami Beach gets way more tourists and has more hotels and kills on walkable amenities than something trashy like this.....

Yeah, Chicago gets sassy and throws some palm trees up on a few of our 29 beaches each year....

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World