Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2015, 01:47 AM

3,695 posts, read 4,835,831 times

Advertisements

I've done a lot of traveling in and around Latin America. One time I slipped up and temporarily put my passport along with a couple other items in the side pocket of my duffle/carry on bag on one trip to Costa Rica. Waiting in San Jose for a taxi with my girlfriend several people in passing cars looked and pointed at me but nothing registered in my puny brain. Some A-hole stole my passport out of the pocket. Oh well, a minor inconvenience. I hope he enjoyed smoking it up with the 100 bucks or so he got for it as he missed out on the 2000 that was right beside it. Whenever I carry one of those bags I always have the zippered side pocket towards me but that time I was tired/wasn't thinking and had it facing out. Easy pickins for a thief in a crowded city.

I usually separate everything when traveling and like to wear jeans with deep front pockets and a pocketed shirt or usually when going to a casual place such as Costa Rica I wear shorts that have several pockets with zippers/buttons/velcro so I can put some bills in this one, more bills in another one, credit cards and more bills in another and license and a few more bills in my now very thin wallet. It's worked well for me. When I'm settled in and go out I put a few bills in my wallet along with 1 credit card (you never know) a license, and a photocopy of my passport info page and stamped entry page and go about my way. Simple, no problems and if there would ever be an issue, they aren't getting much!

I don't like to have anything showing in my pockets so keeping it thin is the way to go. That can be difficult in country's were it takes a bunch of bills to equal just 1 dollar. Or coins with a value of about 20 cents are the size of old school US dollar coins.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2015, 02:15 AM

16,059 posts, read 10,704,980 times
Speaking from experience... Don't be afraid to ride the metros but remember the metros are often packed and tourists are busy trying to be sure they know where they need to get off and not watching their pockets. The platform is just as bad. If underground, you will come up the stairs and will be on the sidewalk with no real idea of where you are or which direction you need to go...it all looks strange so you stop to get your bearings and people will be coming at you from all directions. If someone targets you while on the metro they might follow you up to the street because they can get away faster. They will work in pairs. Stay aware and watch to see if you are being followed. Our experience ended OK because a couple police officers were going down the stairs as we were going up and recognized what was going on.

Old 02-24-2015, 09:20 AM

1,470 posts, read 2,076,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Barcelona at #1?

Didn't even read the article further, couldn't bear it. I've been many times in that city and I find it extremely safe. Was that some article as a warning to stupid American tourists?

You are right, I've never been pickpocketed in Barcelona.
Of course, as any heavely touristic city (since 92), all tourists go to the same spots..so all the thieves.
But I believe that the problem was partially solved by "harassing ROM and Bosnian pickpokets"....
They are arrested 300 times, but what they do now is tag them, or send them to not so tolerant cities.
I don't know how they do that.
Merchants and shopkeepers also warn prospects.
Since pickpockets belong to international rings, when they fall, the whole thing goes down.
Plus, now with all the security...
I was around tourist areas a few days ago, I did not see pickpockets.

Old 02-24-2015, 09:24 AM

1,470 posts, read 2,076,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
European tourists don't really use credit cards abroad AKAIK. In the EU, it's more commonplace to pay with cash still. Using a card for payment is a predominantly American habit

Paying with cash is very rare unless you are biying trinkets, and you might get into trouble with the IRS is the purchase is expensive.
Many people are baying with their mobile phome.

Old 02-24-2015, 09:27 AM

2,802 posts, read 6,422,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by euro123 View Post
How come bulgaria-romania aren't listed? Give me 8 minutes and I've leave the entire Paris walletless.
Heh. You have to love self-deprecating humor.

Old 02-24-2015, 09:28 AM

2,802 posts, read 6,422,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
European tourists don't really use credit cards abroad AKAIK. In the EU, it's more commonplace to pay with cash still. Using a card for payment is a predominantly American habit
When did you last travel to Europe, 1953?

Old 02-24-2015, 01:02 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,473,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsa1775 View Post
No one deserves to be robbed, I would never think twice about putting my wallet in my back pocket in any Australian city, pickpocketing is rare.
I didn't even know putting a wallet in your back pocket was risky or a bad thing lol

I do it all the time

Old 02-24-2015, 02:45 PM

3,187 posts, read 4,582,865 times
The one advantage of travelling in winter is that you can stick your wallet in the inside pocket of your coat.

And I don't get why some people put their wallets in their back pocket, putting the potential for pickpocketing aside, isn't it uncomfortable to sit on?

Old 02-25-2015, 10:12 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,315,090 times
Quote:
Barcelona at #1?

Didn't even read the article further, couldn't bear it. I've been many times in that city and I find it extremely safe. Was that some article as a warning to stupid American tourists?
Goddamn stupid Americans!

stupid

Americans

stupid

Americans

stupid

Americans

<YAWN>

Old 02-26-2015, 10:26 PM

3,282 posts, read 3,786,489 times
Quote:
Only inexperienced travellers even get identified as tourists. Ok, it's a bit harder like in Thailand, but just act as the locals and the "pickpockets" think you're an expat.

Of course if you have your wallet in your back pocket, you deserve to be robbed. I might rob you just to teach you a lesson.
wow, you must be lots of fun to hang out with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World