Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2015, 08:08 PM

849 posts, read 1,056,552 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
All this leads me to another thing I stated in that other thread: "As an aside, I wonder why so many fewer people seem to get their panties in a bunch over the "occupation" or theft of lands by the Spanish in Latin America? It seems like everyone is more than happy to come down hard on the British for their colonialism, cry over the loss of native lands to Anglo settlers and their descendants, and demand retribution for these historical injustices, but the appropriation of land and cultural imperialism by Spain is a non-issue.
If you were to visit any Spanish speaking forum, you'd notice that in Latin America there's a much bigger resentment towards Spain, than to the UK, France and the Netherlands combined. Somehow we are indoctrinated into believing that the reason the region still poor compared to Europe or North America, is thanks to the fact that our gold and silver was took it from us two centuries ago. If Irene is really Colombian as she claims, her point of view is quite ad hoc with the way we are raised to think.

Old 03-06-2015, 08:40 PM

16,581 posts, read 27,263,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwa1984 View Post
In America we've had plenty of Puerto Ricans contribute to the United States. We've had political leaders, doctors, inventors, and a lot medal honor recipients that were Puerto Rican. Puerto Rico has more then earned the right to become a state several times over. That is my $.02 on that subject.
I agree completely. I believe they've voted at least twice in the last half century and they seem to like things just as they are.

Old 03-06-2015, 08:52 PM

16,581 posts, read 27,263,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post
Surely people don't think that?
You hear that term more than you think actually. A version of it exist for places like California. There's California then there's "The real America". If your name is Enrique Rodriguez or Hyun Nguyen, almost by default you're sort of foreign in the minds of many. They have done studies regarding job interviews and people with more "ethnic" sounding names got fewer responses. He Dropped One Letter In His Name While Applying For Jobs, And The Responses Rolled In

Old 03-06-2015, 11:07 PM

11,054 posts, read 16,757,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aztecgoddess View Post
If you were to visit any Spanish speaking forum, you'd notice that in Latin America there's a much bigger resentment towards Spain, than to the UK, France and the Netherlands combined. Somehow we are indoctrinated into believing that the reason the region still poor compared to Europe or North America, is thanks to the fact that our gold and silver was took it from us two centuries ago. If Irene is really Colombian as she claims, her point of view is quite ad hoc with the way we are raised to think.
Interesting to hear. For English speakers - even taking into account Hispanic/Latino, Speanish-speaking English speakers - you hear very little about the transgressions of Spain; it's like people forget that there was a native population down there, that Mestizos were the original and indigenous people of the region and have more of a "right" to be there than Angle-descended North Americans.

I guess a big part of it is that a gauchos are more exotic than cowboys, flamenco is more exotic than banjos, etc to people here. People are more likely to forgive things they feel an affinity for even if they are more or less equal; one of my friends who hates the patriarchy, sexism, and rape culture of the US with a very vocal and fervent passion moved to Japan, whose patriarchy, sexism, and rape culture would make a midwestern truck stop full of football players blush... but it's OK, because she feels an affinity towards their traditional and pop culture.

Old 03-07-2015, 04:13 AM

4,717 posts, read 5,024,720 times
Quote:
I guess no slavery occurred during the Atlantic SLAVE trade lol Someone needs to go to the dictionary AND read some history.
Slavery had existed for about 2000 years and more. The British never invented it. The British were primarily the transporters and were the first to abolish slavery. The rest of what you listed was bunkum.

Old 03-07-2015, 04:56 AM

9,980 posts, read 12,325,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
You hear that term more than you think actually. A version of it exist for places like California. There's California then there's "The real America". If your name is Enrique Rodriguez or Hyun Nguyen, almost by default you're sort of foreign in the minds of many. They have done studies regarding job interviews and people with more "ethnic" sounding names got fewer responses. He Dropped One Letter In His Name While Applying For Jobs, And The Responses Rolled In
Yeah I can understand that, stupid because the US was built by everyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John-UK View Post
Slavery had existed for about 2000 years and more. The British never invented it. The British were primarily the transporters and were the first to abolish slavery. The rest of what you listed was bunkum.
The Trans Atlantic slave trade was one of the most brutal in history whose descendants still face problems today. - Discrimination, racism, internalised racism, stereotypes, mass social issues etc etc

The only reason why it was abolished was because it became costly not to mention the many rebellions from the African Slaves.

This is textbook stuff, like come on John! This would be offensive but its more funny than anything else.

Old 03-07-2015, 05:00 AM

11,054 posts, read 16,757,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John-UK View Post
One way or the other, they participated in the slave trade, and some Britons profited greatly for it, all the same as tge US and many before and after did. Its not an indictment on current British culture or the British people, its just a historical fact.

Old 03-07-2015, 06:18 AM

1,603 posts, read 1,876,647 times
Quote:
Yeah I can understand that, stupid because the US was built by everyone.

The Trans Atlantic slave trade was one of the most brutal in history whose descendants still face problems today. - Discrimination, racism, internalised racism, stereotypes, mass social issues etc etc

The only reason why it was abolished was because it became costly not to mention the many rebellions from the African Slaves.

This is textbook stuff, like come on John! This would be offensive but its more funny than anything else.
I wouldn't underestimate so easily the contribution given by the Royal Navy in the abolition of slavery though.

Old 03-07-2015, 06:47 AM

26,766 posts, read 37,679,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by improb View Post
Canada probably doesn't even care as that place has no value of any sort and are just two irrelevant islands just off the coast of Newfoundland
The main issue with those islands related to offshore fishing rights as France claims the 200 mile limit for them. But this has not flared up for a long time.

The same issue might arise if undersea petroleum is found in the area.

BTW the St-Pierre et Miquelon issue, if there is one, is not related to Quebec at all.

Old 03-07-2015, 06:47 AM

471 posts, read 617,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irene-cd View Post
French Guyana is a south American territory, it belongs to France thru colonization (time will come when South American countries, especially Brazil will press the issue though)

Also in South America we have the Falklands belong to the UK (why is a country over 5 thousand kilometers away from those islands there?) I am sure eventually they'll have to let it go. (the US already told them they are 100 neutral on the matter and will not get involved as it would against its McCarthyist doctrine)

Several islands in the Caribbean (Martinique, Guadeloupe) are French, so is an island right off the coast of Canada.... why?

UK virgin islands, cayman islands = UK..... why?

Greenland, an enormous island sitting on the extreme north of the North American plate belongs to denmark.... why?

shouldn't the americas make an effort to kick Europe out? why are they allowed to have land on a continent that is clearly not theirs?
Several Caribbean islands are Dutch as well.

I find that a blessing, European Union overseas territories are developed and have high quality of life standards.

Europeans should have more presence in the American continent.

Also, Canada, which is part of the British commonwealth has the highest quality of life in the continent.

If the Falkland islands are given back to Agentina, all current Falklanders would relocate to Britain and the Falklands would turn into an ugly Argentinian uncivilized poor island governed by the dictator/assassin ruler Argentinians have (Kirchner).

Noone in the falklands wants to be Argentinian. They would never give up their British nationality to become Argentinians.

Last edited by MiamiResident; 03-07-2015 at 06:57 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World