Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2015, 08:09 AM

7,801 posts, read 10,074,946 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
I was going to say that until we actually see good competent government across the Americas, I do not see how we have the right to order the Europeans out of their territories, especially if the territories want to stay part of a European country. Like the Falklands.

The United States government is incompetent and cannot balance a budget and is leaving huge debts to its children and grandchildren. Latin America is a history of banana republics and constant swings from left wing radicals to right wing military dictators, over and over again. Venezuela is just the latest insanity. What right do we have to order the Europeans to give up their colonies?
Ive said it before ... and I am sure I will say it again: decolonization was one of the worst geopolitical disasters to ever occur in the history of mankind.

Im not opposed to self determination but the way the colonial powers went about decolonization in the 1960s and 70s was a catastrophe. All the world did was create (by and large with a few exceptions such as Singapore) a bunch of failed nations stuck in perpetual poverty, economic crisis's, war, and dictatorships.

I think we have 'evolved' to the point where most people can agree that decolonization in the manner it was done was a gigantic trainwreck largely responsible for much of the world's present problems.

Old 03-10-2015, 06:47 PM

1,741 posts, read 2,514,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irene-cd View Post
French Guyana is a south American territory, it belongs to France thru colonization (time will come when South American countries, especially Brazil will press the issue though)

Also in South America we have the Falklands belong to the UK (why is a country over 5 thousand kilometers away from those islands there?) I am sure eventually they'll have to let it go. (the US already told them they are 100 neutral on the matter and will not get involved as it would against its McCarthyist doctrine)
Ask this to some argentinian and he/she is going to say that the Falklands belong to Argentina, and the britons are invaders. When we cross the border between Brazil and Argentina near the Iguassu Falls, short after there is an enormous plate with the text: "Las Malvinas son argentinas!" (The Falklands belong to Argentina). Here in Brazil people don't take care about, and outside the northern states we hardly will find someone aware of the existence of French Guyana.

Old 03-10-2015, 07:29 PM

3,284 posts, read 3,771,867 times
Shouldn't we also kick out the Spaniards and Portuguese? Let's be fair. And send back the pure European descendants too while we are at it!

I'm sure the millions of Native Americans who are treated like sh**t across the continent would like to live more respectable lives.

Old 03-13-2015, 10:17 AM

2,807 posts, read 6,408,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irene-cd View Post
French Guyana is a south American territory, it belongs to France thru colonization (time will come when South American countries, especially Brazil will press the issue though)

Also in South America we have the Falklands belong to the UK (why is a country over 5 thousand kilometers away from those islands there?) I am sure eventually they'll have to let it go. (the US already told them they are 100 neutral on the matter and will not get involved as it would against its McCarthyist doctrine)

Several islands in the Caribbean (Martinique, Guadeloupe) are French, so is an island right off the coast of Canada.... why?

UK virgin islands, cayman islands = UK..... why?

Greenland, an enormous island sitting on the extreme north of the North American plate belongs to denmark.... why?

shouldn't the americas make an effort to kick Europe out? why are they allowed to have land on a continent that is clearly not theirs?
Because there is no country called "the Americas", so unless a particular country claims sovereignty over a terrotory like Argentina did with the Falklands or a separatist movement arises in a articular territory nothing is going to happen.

The Americas as we know them are actually a aproduct of colonisation. None of the current countries would exist without the former empires.

Old 03-13-2015, 11:10 AM

16,578 posts, read 27,291,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
Ive said it before ... and I am sure I will say it again: decolonization was one of the worst geopolitical disasters to ever occur in the history of mankind.

Im not opposed to self determination but the way the colonial powers went about decolonization in the 1960s and 70s was a catastrophe. All the world did was create (by and large with a few exceptions such as Singapore) a bunch of failed nations stuck in perpetual poverty, economic crisis's, war, and dictatorships.

I think we have 'evolved' to the point where most people can agree that decolonization in the manner it was done was a gigantic trainwreck largely responsible for much of the world's present problems.
I agree, the way in which it was done was horrible. Most nations simply walked away. This led to power vacuums and instability.

Old 03-13-2015, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabio SBA View Post
Ask this to some argentinian and he/she is going to say that the Falklands belong to Argentina, and the britons are invaders. When we cross the border between Brazil and Argentina near the Iguassu Falls, short after there is an enormous plate with the text: "Las Malvinas son argentinas!" (The Falklands belong to Argentina). Here in Brazil people don't take care about, and outside the northern states we hardly will find someone aware of the existence of French Guyana.
The problem with this example is the Falklands never belonged to Argentina. The British were there before Argentina existed.

Old 03-13-2015, 11:57 AM

1,741 posts, read 2,514,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
The problem with this example is the Falklands never belonged to Argentina. The British were there before Argentina existed.
I am aware of this, you are aware of this and the world is aware of this. But in the argentinian schools, children learn since the first grade the geography of Argentina including the Falklands (called Islas Malvinas by them) . It appears to be policy of the government to make every argentinian believe that the Falklands are part of Argentina. This is a delicate issue when we talk with people in Argentina, especially after the war in 1982. The wound was open with Leopoldo Galtieri at that time. Cristina Kirchner wants to make the wound permanent.

Old 03-13-2015, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabio SBA View Post
I am aware of this, you are aware of this and the world is aware of this. But in the argentinian schools, children learn since the first grade the geography of Argentina including the Falklands (called Islas Malvinas by them) . It appears to be policy of the government to make every argentinian believe that the Falklands are part of Argentina. This is a delicate issue when we talk with people in Argentina, especially after the war in 1982. The wound was open with Leopoldo Galtieri at that time. Cristina Kirchner wants to make the wound permanent.
Well, I wish them good luck with that. They're just going to be the laughing stock of the world.

Old 03-13-2015, 01:41 PM

9,970 posts, read 12,340,383 times
We should all go back to the Ocean we are ALL sea immigrants!

Old 03-13-2015, 10:38 PM

9,135 posts, read 13,153,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post

A number of the Caribbean Islands were just dumped by the Europeans. Some of the smaller islands have tiny poverty stricken populations and less land area then an average county. Yet we expect them to create a modern economy & government and compete economically in a world of huge nations and continental trading blocs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World