Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2015, 11:44 PM

1,028 posts, read 1,122,185 times

Advertisements

Why Japan? Japan should care about its own security.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2015, 01:21 AM

9,470 posts, read 10,803,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by viribusunitis View Post
Wait, so first you complain that hardly any countries support the US in their fight for glory and now you complain that too many support US foreign policy?

Here is the deal: Supporting US led coalitions got increasingly unpopular after your more recent adventures in Afghanistan and Iraq. Remember how France got bullied by the US after not supporting the invasion of Iraq? Remember freedom fries? Or the **** Germany got for not supporting the intervention in Libya or Syria?

Yes I remember the freedom fries. We did go overboard with that, but in all fairness the French were quite vocal about it. Its one thing to not support us, but they did try to interfere with what we were trying to do and even came off as somewhat anti-American. I guess Americans have thought of the French as an ally so it really struck a nerve. If that kind of opposition was coming from Russia folks would have shrugged their shoulders and said "whatever" but it just wasn't expected from the French. The freedom fries tantrum did not help our cause however and it just soured US French relations further. Now the intervention in Libya was more European led was it not??? If I remember the US played a more supportive role. The French and British were more up front on that one. I don't remember the US giving Germany any gaff about their position on that, but maybe the French and British did. I just don't remember. One thing everyone should remember on both sides of the pond is the fact that Europe and America are on the same side on most issues, and even if we disagree about some things that both Europe and North America are working toward the same goals. The bickering and spats we have really are not that serious.

Old 03-10-2015, 01:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken S. View Post
Whether you like it or not the USA is our protector. During the Cold War and now with the current issues with Russia, were anything to happen Canadians would have been (or will be) bleating for American help and protection. Yet Canadians like you believe that we can and should be insolent and defiant whenever the Americans expect us to contribute to global security.

Canada needs a much larger navy and air force.

I once read that Canada has a very large military when you consider the population of Canada. It is every bit as modern and advanced as the US or Britain, just smaller as that reflects the smaller population of Canada. Making it larger would be a real burden on your tax payers. It is definitely large enough to participate in any international coalition operation that it chooses to be involved in.

Old 03-10-2015, 02:05 AM

11,222 posts, read 16,426,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
No, we don't. We joined in Afghanistan, it was actually considered a NATO obligation as you were attacked, but we didn't support Iraq and didn't send our military there. The support is not unconditional, it never was. We also differed on Cuba and Vietnam. We support the US as a rule, but you can't make huge mistakes and expect unconditional support for them.

Well, if you ask me, we would have gone to Afghanistan, NATO obligation or not. We watched our brother get shot in the chest, and Afghanistan was harbouring the ones who did it. JTF2 went in one the first "wave" with US, UK, and Australian special forces units, long before the regulars were deployed.

Technically, we were in Iraq in different capacities. Somewhere around 300 personnel from the CF participated working in the US Command center in Qatar, troops on "exchange" fought beside US and UK forces, piloted combat missions in US AWACS and C-17's, and 3 frigates and a Destroyer were in charge of Task Group 151 in the Persian Gulf. BUT...I assume that was about we would commit, because everyone knew Bush was full of crap, and it had nothing to do with 9/11.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken S. View Post
Whether you like it or not the USA is our protector. During the Cold War and now with the current issues with Russia, were anything to happen Canadians would have been (or will be) bleating for American help and protection. Yet Canadians like you believe that we can and should be insolent and defiant whenever the Americans expect us to contribute to global security.

Canada needs a much larger navy and air force.
Everybody knows the US protects Canada. But really, I don't think it would matter if we had a military force more on par with the United Kingdom, a juggernaut like Russia is going to steamroll whoever it comes across. You're damned right we're going to need Americas help. And every OTHER NATO country for that matter.

And even if we were near US military levels, it would STILL be that way because not is it only in America's own self interest to protect us, we ARE family. There's no two ways about it. Someone attacks us? They spring to action. Someone attacks them? We spring to action. But when it comes to global security, there is nothing wrong with stepping back and making a clear, intelligent decision on what to do. Not only is that the right thing to do, we simply do not have the money or man power to go jumping head first into every little squabble across the globe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
I don't even give Canadians like him the time of day in much the same way I ignore many daft Americans. NORAD pretty much proves the special military relationship between our two countries. That requires lots of trust on both sides and as you may know, the US is notoriously untrusting of most countries.
I'm not sure that kind of relationship can be said for anybody else.

Like I've said a few times now, we're family. Ever read the writing on the monument at Peace Arch Park at the border crossing in Vancouver, that straddles the border, and nobody has to clear customs to visit it?

Old 03-10-2015, 02:12 AM

2,296 posts, read 3,124,703 times
Well if you get Germany and Japan together should Italy come too?

We´re getting the band back together!

Old 03-10-2015, 02:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GER308 View Post
Well if you get Germany and Japan together should Italy come too?

Yikes.

Old 03-10-2015, 03:50 AM

11,222 posts, read 16,426,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ger308 View Post
well if you get germany and japan together should italy come too?

lol!

Old 03-10-2015, 07:34 AM

7,956 posts, read 11,845,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis agrotera View Post
Hasn't Boko Haram, aligned with IS as well?
They did indeed, scary times.

By the way Japan isn't allowed under law to go to war.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AlJpb7wCr2U

Old 03-10-2015, 08:10 AM

8,864 posts, read 8,444,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post
By the way Japan isn't allowed under law to go to war.
Abe is trying to lift the restriction, and he is very likely to succeed.
But the target is, of course, China. ISIS poses little threat to this part of the world, fortunately.

Old 03-10-2015, 08:20 AM

7,956 posts, read 11,845,946 times
Yeah that's what the documentary is about him trying to change it - there will be opposition though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World