Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2015, 11:39 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,375,337 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by valsteele View Post
Yes, it seems like everything is illegal in America! You can't just build a hut and live simply and cheaply. Most places will refuse to rent to you if you don't make 3x the rent. Little girls can't even start lemonade stands anymore. There are tons of regulations but only for the little people, if you have the money you can get around them in America.

Hell, even traveling in America you generally can't just pitch a tent, you have to go to an overpriced KOA campground, most of which don't have easy access to downtown centers. Honestly I'd love to just tramp around America for months on end and explore but unfortunately that would make me a criminal in this "free" country.
+1
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2015, 12:06 PM

281 posts, read 712,580 times
Your ignorance of third world problems is a perfect example of a first world problem.

Old 03-13-2015, 12:29 PM

2,516 posts, read 5,685,319 times
What does this have to do with "meme's"?

Old 03-13-2015, 01:44 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,533,632 times
Quote:
Yes, it seems like everything is illegal in America! You can't just build a hut and live simply and cheaply. Most places will refuse to rent to you if you don't make 3x the rent. Little girls can't even start lemonade stands anymore. There are tons of regulations but only for the little people, if you have the money you can get around them in America.

Hell, even traveling in America you generally can't just pitch a tent, you have to go to an overpriced KOA campground, most of which don't have easy access to downtown centers. Honestly I'd love to just tramp around America for months on end and explore but unfortunately that would make me a criminal in this "free" country.
To be fair, in most countries you just can't pitch a tent anywhere. I don't equate someone being able to camp on my property without my permission with freedom. However YOU can camp for free in many, many places in the USA and Canada.

Map of Free Camping Areas | Go Camping for Free!)

Lemonade stands? Really? If that's true then that is sad. I still see kids, boys and girls here in Vancouver selling lemonade, with some smart young entrepreneurs set up where they catch a flow of walkers and bikers.
I'm not sure about the rest of Canada though.

Old 03-13-2015, 01:56 PM

9,962 posts, read 12,375,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
That protest made some progress. Wal-mart announced raises for it's employees. Not much of one but it's a start. Communities all over the US are also starting to take matters into their own hands by raising the minimum wage. This may be difficult for non Americans to comprehend but there are a staggering number of people against that.
Same issue in the UK just on a lesser scale. Though the labour party wants to rise the minimum wage.

Old 03-14-2015, 03:45 AM

18,123 posts, read 25,262,858 times
Quote:
A surprisingly large number of people in the Third World actually live about as well as Americans too.
Just because Africa, India, etc have it worse doesn't mean that we should be complacent idiots. Wanting a better life is what made us "First World" in the first place.
In poor countries people have lots of public transportation
in the US, if you don't have a car, you are screwed.... which requires registration, insurance, maintenance, gasoline, etc.

Old 03-14-2015, 07:43 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
OK, you live in the First World, in a country that beats its chest about liberty and free enterprise. Go and buy an old beater car, and paint the word "Taxi" on the door, and pull up in front of the terminal at the airport. See if you experience any "first world problems". Or, set a kitchen chair next to a public roadway, and put up a sign saying "Haircuts -- $5".

Old 03-14-2015, 07:52 AM

7,956 posts, read 11,841,928 times
Some of the poverty I see in Scotland is truly shocking for such a rich country.

But in certain countries countless people are literally starving to death.

But the poverty in my own back yard is terrible because we have the resources to stop it.

People who say ''god we have it good stop complaining'' clearly don't live in some of the areas I am talking about.

Old 03-14-2015, 09:51 AM

9,962 posts, read 12,375,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post
Some of the poverty I see in Scotland is truly shocking for such a rich country.

But in certain countries countless people are literally starving to death.

But the poverty in my own back yard is terrible because we have the resources to stop it.

People who say ''god we have it good stop complaining'' clearly don't live in some of the areas I am talking about.
Yep.

Old 03-14-2015, 10:35 PM

164 posts, read 160,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankhharu View Post
What does this have to do with "meme's"?
It's a meme that's currently going about.

A bit irksome for the fact that it's usually said by young liberals, often inappropriately, and usually with a good dose of sanctimony. It diminishes genuine third world concerns to some bandwagon fad that will be quickly forgotten once it goes out of mode.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World