Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What would be the worst country in the world to live in?
Algeria 1 1.12%
Angola 0 0%
Belarus 1 1.12%
Burma 0 0%
Cambodia 0 0%
Cameroon 0 0%
Chad 0 0%
China 0 0%
Congo 3 3.37%
Cuba 2 2.25%
Djibouti 0 0%
Egypt 0 0%
Equatorial Guinea 0 0%
Eritrea 1 1.12%
Ethiopia 0 0%
Gambia 0 0%
Laos 0 0%
North Korea 40 44.94%
Russia 1 1.12%
Somalia 21 23.60%
Sudan 1 1.12%
Syria 4 4.49%
Tajikistan 0 0%
Turkmenistan 0 0%
Uzbekistan 0 0%
Vietnam 1 1.12%
Yemen 0 0%
Zimbabwe 4 4.49%
Another country 9 10.11%
Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2015, 10:43 AM

24,144 posts, read 24,673,495 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
You quoted the part of my post in which I asked "How do you know . . . ?", which remains unanswered.
From the Somalian diaspora in my country. It's one of our largest immigrant groups.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2015, 11:03 AM

42,579 posts, read 86,631,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
From the Somalian diaspora in my country. It's one of our largest immigrant groups.
Are they a representative sample of all Somalis, reflecting present day conditions in the country? Or are they representative of a a refugee group from a locality that was affected by local disorder a decade ago, which does not reflect conditions at the present time, nor general conditions widespread over the whole of Somalia? Are you qualified to draw general conclusions based on a few anecdotal reports from people who were caught up in the worst of some localized incidents?

Old 04-04-2015, 11:14 AM

Finland refuses to deport Somalian criminals, due to "imminent danger to their life". I think that tells it all.

Old 04-04-2015, 01:40 PM

1,386 posts, read 1,550,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I did not equate anything. I said there are good and bad features about all countries, in response to people who said third world countries are all bad and there are no redeeming qualities to be found in any aspect of the way of life there for any demographic sector. How is that bad logic? The US government is paying very close attention to everything you do, far beyond just storing your online communications. If your phone is turned on, they're storing exactly where you are right now. They know exactly how many pounds of grapes you bought at Krogers at 3:24 this afternoon, and what time you want through a traffic light on the way home and they have a photo of your passengers and software to digitally identify them. And regulatory power has got every private sector industry doing the heavy lifting of gathering that data and feeding it to the government. And you can be sure that when they need to use that against you, they will. The government's first priority is to protect itself, not the citizenry.

Even by the most liberal estimates, the rate of North Koreans being thrown into gulags is lower than the rate of Americans being thrown into jails and prisons, more than 90% of them without a trial -- plea bargained to have several imaginary charges against them dropped in exchange for a guilty plea to one for a non-violent offense.
First off you can pay cash since that doesn't leave a trace of your spending habits if your really that concerned the government maybe watching and care what you buy at the grocery store.

Most towns in the United States don't have traffic cameras at all so following someone everywhere they go throughout the United States via using camera systems only isn't even possible. Your trying to equate a bunch of BS conspiracy theories with what actually happens in a country like North Korea if you step out of line. Your trying to say Gulags in North Korea were women are used as sex slaves by the guards and people are beaten to death if the guards feel like it is equal to the treatment convicts get in the United States. This shows absolute stupidity on your part.

Last edited by Rozenn; 04-05-2015 at 05:51 PM.. Reason: Rude

Old 04-04-2015, 02:01 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

46,009 posts, read 53,204,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
I know you probably have a lot of life experience and have probably risen above this awful chaotic world but this is quite absurd. Somalia is basically a warzone, North Korea is somewhere every man must follow the hairstyle of their great great leader, while Detroit is just a poorer American city. Totally not comparable.
Eww Detroit. Much rather be in more civilized Somalia :

https://www.google.com/maps/place/15...e69c417295fa9f

https://www.google.com/maps/place/@4...e69c417295fa9f

Old 04-04-2015, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwa1984 View Post
Most towns in the United States don't have traffic cameras at all so following someone everywhere they go throughout the United States via using camera systems only isn't even possible. Your trying to equate a bunch of BS conspiracy theories with what actually happens in a country like North Korea if you step out of line.

My country, which is one of the richest ones on the planet, is still so damn poor that we can't afford more than one tenth of the speed cameras, meaning that 9 of 10 camera posts are empty shells simply just for display. Not to mention CCTV which plop up in the UK on a daily basis, but here only a few key locations in the capital have them. And who would pay to someone to actually watch the screens?

Old 04-04-2015, 02:29 PM

7,964 posts, read 11,807,580 times
Man all these CCTV cameras are a nightmare here. I remember I got in to a ''scuffle'' at a nighclub and went home after it. Later the police came to my door - they had followed me from the city centre to my house with cameras. Miles away, crazy. I got on bus then off bus, they must have picked me up on another camera when I got off! This was on my old street.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/...67f29e!6m1!1e1

Old 04-04-2015, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post
Man all these CCTV cameras are a nightmare here. I remember I got in to a ''scuffle'' at a nighclub and went home after it. Later the police came to my door - they had followed me from the city centre to my house with cameras. Miles away, crazy. I got on bus then off bus, they must have picked me up on another camera when I got off! This was on my old street.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/...67f29e!6m1!1e1

Oh man, that sounds quite orwellian. Luckily we are still quite paranoid about privacy laws, and secondly, don't have the manpower to man these cameras.

Old 04-04-2015, 04:01 PM

22,118 posts, read 29,470,574 times
They are good and bad, depending on how they are used. They can be a blessing when serious crimes are committed - such as rape, murder or unprovoked assault. Some woman here recently was violently raped and it was because of CCTV cameras that the guy was caught in the end, so they have their uses.

Old 04-04-2015, 04:10 PM

https://www.google.fi/maps/@60.45139...MetIe3DAyA!2e0

This is one of the very few ones I have been able to spot here.

Of course CCTV can be useful, but I don't like this "just in case" surveillance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World