Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is the least vibrant/urban?
New York City 22 33.85%
Paris 17 26.15%
Tokyo 4 6.15%
London 22 33.85%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2015, 06:33 AM

1,327 posts, read 2,606,127 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by smool View Post
In truth though residentially it's dense, but also very green. Londoner's (and UK in general) suffer the smallest housing in the West (and the most expensive despite).

Home - BBC News

In other words they house us in small, dense subdivided rowhomes, and blocks of flats, but give us parks for every neighbourhood.

http://medias.photodeck.com/aa4bcb4c...62204_uxga.jpg
This survey cçompare apple with oranges, it compares the size of the new houses built in and around London with entire other countries.
It is pretty obvious that the size in the large and most expensive city will be lower.

I don't think London would have the smallest house, in my opinion it would not be smaller than Paris.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2015, 08:56 PM

11,655 posts, read 12,956,707 times
London.

That's only because its competitors are very powerful and the most vibrant to me personally - NYC, Paris and Tokyo....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Excuse me, you're asking which city is the least urban, and if someone says it's not London, you start bickering? So what's the point of this thread? Are you really asking, or is the only answer you'll accept London?
I hate it when they do that. Now I bet someone's gonna come and attack me for choosing London as the "least vibrant".

They even do it at the climate boards.

Old 04-02-2015, 09:14 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times
The City of New York post a document with pedestrian counts of some of the busier commercial streets compared against some busy European streets. Oxford St is busier than Times Square by their measure [Times Square is more concentrated, however] Regent Street is less busy than Flushing St (busy street in Queens) or Fordham Road (busy street in The Bronx)

http://www.nyc.gov/html/dot/download...ts_Gehl_08.pdf [page 18]

Old 04-02-2015, 11:07 PM

514 posts, read 470,958 times
Add me to the list of people that's confused at what we're voting for here.

London is the least urban, but wander even beyond tourist-boom central London and you come across many individual points of interest in the inner London area with plenty of activity and things going on.

That's also true of Paris to a lesser degree - the are cultural hotspots laid out all across the metro area though without the same activity levels as London. I can't speak for Tokyo but you don't get your wanderlust as rewarded to the same degree in New York.

Old 04-03-2015, 02:12 AM

1,327 posts, read 2,606,127 times
This is all inflated figures that either comes from nowhere or from a combination of several streets.

Old 04-03-2015, 08:15 AM

969 posts, read 825,751 times
To put it in comparison, Times Square boasts "only" over 300,000 a day according to the Times Square Alliance. Over 480,000 on busiest days.

The poll for this thread is a mess:

Some people are voting for London on the basis of its merits (most green spaces).
Many are voting for New York on the basis of its faults (most depressing).
The rest I think are hedging their bets as to what the OP is talking about and choosing Paris (neither the most depressing nor the most green, but somewhere in between).

Good job OP. You have a long productive career ahead of you as a government employee.

Old 04-03-2015, 08:37 AM

8,864 posts, read 8,446,442 times
How could any of these four cities be not urban or not vibrant? Aren't they most famous for their vibrancy and urban layouts?

Old 04-05-2015, 10:54 AM

366 posts, read 404,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smool View Post
Look up the stats again.

NYC/ US counts daytrippers in it's tourist figures - and makes no secret of the fact, not just overnighters. European cities, and much of the rest of the world only count overnighters.

http://www.nycandcompany.org/assets/...omicImpact.pdf
^
"Visitors are defined as people who made an overnight trip to NYC or
traveled 50 miles or more one-way from home for a day trip".

If however you counted daytrippers in London it reaches 176-180 million a year (150 million daytrippers-not-commuters + average 26 million overnighters):

http://www.takeonemedia.co.uk/_sitef...actsheet_1.pdf

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=...illion&f=false

This is why there are more people on the streets outside rush hour rather than just workers. There are about 6x more visitors in London.

[I think the world's most visited city in terms of overnighters anyhoo is Kyoto (over 60 million I heard)].
I just clicked your link, your stats of 150 million is for the whole country.

Last edited by Rozenn; 04-05-2015 at 03:26 PM.. Reason: Rude

Old 04-05-2015, 11:43 AM

366 posts, read 404,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hightower72 View Post
Does vibrancy factor in qualitative aspects such as excitement, cultural stimulation, elegance of public realm, walking perspective and so on, or is it meant simply to mean numbers of people cramming the streets?

If going by sheer numbers, based on my experience:

1. Tokyo 9/10
2. New York 6/10
3. London 5.5/10
4. Paris 3.5/10

If qualitative aspects are important:

1. London 8/10 (trending up)
2. Tokyo 7/10 (trending slowly down)
3. Paris 6.5/10 (static)
3. New York 5/10 (trending slowly down)

I voted with the latter in mind because what's the point in having lots of people crammed into a city if it's oppressive or unpleasant? You may as well go to a Calcutta slum if all you want to see are crowds.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noggin of Rum View Post
I admire your patience, but I think this is a troll thread right down to false choice poll - London is objectively least 'urban' because of its green spaces, but the way the question is worded, by voting for it you also have to concede to the idea of it being less 'vibrant', which is kind of silly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post

Density is not the same everywhere,
There is a huge difference in 1st-world organized cities (New York, London, Paris, Madrid, Seoul, Tokyo etc.) and 3rd-world unorganized cities (Lagos, Karachi, Mumbai, Delhi, Calcutta, Dhaka etc.).
I see to fanboys the title of the thread reads "101 excuses reasons not to vote for London in this thread." I mean Calcutta ffs.

3rd world cities ARE often considerably more urban and vibrant than the very best of 1st world cities. What of it?

I find it quite baffling that find people here have nerve to bring up the 1st world and 3rd world stuff when quite clearly the US in comparison can very well make the UK look like a poor man's destination.

In a thread about urban lifestyles, we get emotional fanboys talking about subjective things and dissing the actual aspects of urbanity and the 3rd world out of random.

If you want to speak of the 3rd world btw, pick a rich man's town in California at random and pick a random street in London. The latter would look 3rd world to most people. It's funny that a group of urbanites who are suppose to be above that level of stupidity is using that same thing for London boosterism.

Old 04-05-2015, 12:34 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,879,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaneKane View Post
I see to fanboys the title of the thread reads "101 excuses reasons not to vote for London in this thread." I mean Calcutta ffs.

3rd world cities ARE often considerably more urban and vibrant than the very best of 1st world cities. What of it?

I find it quite baffling that find people here have nerve to bring up the 1st world and 3rd world stuff when quite clearly the US in comparison can very well make the UK look like a poor man's destination.

In a thread about urban lifestyles, we get emotional fanboys talking about subjective things and dissing the actual aspects of urbanity and the 3rd world out of random.

If you want to speak of the 3rd world btw, pick a rich man's town in California at random and pick a random street in London. The latter would look 3rd world to most people. It's funny that a group of urbanites who are suppose to be above that level of stupidity is using that same thing for London boosterism.
HUH?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World