U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2016, 06:03 PM

723 posts, read 311,600 times

Advertisements

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2016, 06:10 PM

69,042 posts, read 60,197,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
Are there ethnicities where people tend to have larger or smaller eyes in general?

For example, from my experience, Russians and Slavs tend to have rather smaller shaped eyes overall, whereas Greeks and Italians have larger eyes.

Is there a truth to this or is it a stereotype?
I've noticed that people with the N3 (or N1c) Y-DNA haplotype tend to have small narrow-ish eyes that are close-set. That is what I call the "reindeer-herder" gene, but it runs at about 35-40% in Baltic peoples, too (Lat, Lith, Est). For some reason, it's seen in some Frisians, as well, though it's not due to N3 in that population.

Old 10-12-2016, 06:14 PM

723 posts, read 311,600 times

Old 10-16-2016, 05:24 AM

9,989 posts, read 6,520,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saxonwold View Post
You're Assyrian, so what? You're still from the Middle-East and obviously there were links between the original Hebrews and Assyrians(all Middle-Easterners), as well as the Ancient Greeks who colonized southern Italy, parts of southern France (Marseilles), as well as part of the Middle-East.
Who said that we're not Middle Easterners and have no links to Hebrews?

Yes, the Jews are one of the most genetically closest peoples to us. As are Armenians, but that's mainly due to mixing.

Old 10-19-2016, 12:58 PM

4,237 posts, read 2,023,591 times
Quote:
The term "Black Irish" is more of a cultural term developed by people outside of Ireland, notably in the New World to describe what Irish people who physically did not conform to the conceived stereotype or image of what people thought Irish usually looked like.

This is was the stereotypical image of Irish people, light pigmentation (reddish hair, pale skin, blue or green eyes).

"Black Irish" was coined for those who had a darker pigmentation (dark hair or dark eyes or a combo of both).
Colin Farrell
Oh look, it's this "Black Irish" thing cropping up on here now!

Colin has a similar 'colouring' to me, in that photo. But he's usually quite tanned sometimes, isn't he?!

Old 10-20-2016, 12:45 AM

6,751 posts, read 6,865,357 times
Quote:
The term "Black Irish" is more of a cultural term developed by people outside of Ireland, notably in the New World to describe what Irish people who physically did not conform to the conceived stereotype or image of what people thought Irish usually looked like.

This is was the stereotypical image of Irish people, light pigmentation (reddish hair, pale skin, blue or green eyes).

"Black Irish" was coined for those who had a darker pigmentation (dark hair or dark eyes or a combo of both).
Colin Farrell
When I was a kid there was an Irish family next door with 12 kids - they were red -black-red-black all the way down the line. We all thought that was real cool - especially when they'd line up for a photo.

Old 10-21-2016, 01:31 PM

4,690 posts, read 7,176,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Star10101 View Post

Colin has a similar 'colouring' to me, in that photo. But he's usually quite tanned sometimes, isn't he?!
Colin Farrell is a celebrity so he may use fake tans and more in order keep himself attractive to the ladies. His natural colouring is light or "normal" Northern European skin color.

The same applies to Catherine Zeta Jones, her natural colouring is pale too.

So is Enya, my favorite Black Irish, she sings so beautifully.

Old 10-22-2016, 07:16 AM
BMI

5,944 posts, read 3,342,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Star10101 View Post

Jackie Gleason

Quintessential "black Irish" looking....jet black hair with piercing blue eyes.

Old 10-24-2016, 08:26 AM

9,989 posts, read 6,520,163 times
Quote:
Colin Farrell is a celebrity so he may use fake tans and more in order keep himself attractive to the ladies. His natural colouring is light or "normal" Northern European skin color.

The same applies to Catherine Zeta Jones, her natural colouring is pale too.

So is Enya, my favorite Black Irish, she sings so beautifully.
It's funny, because these "black Irish" people would be considered Nordic or Germanic looking among Middle Eastern people.

Enya is a typical looking Irish woman to me. If she's "black Irish" then most Irish people must be albinos or something.

Old 10-27-2016, 07:35 PM

4,690 posts, read 7,176,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
It's funny, because these "black Irish" people would be considered Nordic or Germanic looking among Middle Eastern people.

Enya is a typical looking Irish woman to me. If she's "black Irish" then most Irish people must be albinos or something.
Enya is " Black" Irish, only because she has very dark hair in comparison to what is considered average for Irish women. However, her features are very Northern European Celtic, she has a very pale complexion which is typically Irish. A "Black" Irish person can ldook typically Celtic, is only differentiated by darker hair and/ eyes. Why are you comparing Irish people with Middle-Easterners? Irish people are Whites. You can't get any lighter-complected than them!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World