U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2015, 07:53 AM

11,269 posts, read 11,235,673 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
But what if there is no frequent cold winds during winter?
It's not just that. It's plain old snow blindness. The eyes of say, the Inuit of the arctic regions of Canada are limiting the amount of reflected light from the snow into their eyes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2015, 08:02 AM

23,597 posts, read 14,860,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post
It's not just that. It's plain old snow blindness. The eyes of say, the Inuit of the arctic regions of Canada are limiting the amount of reflected light from the snow into their eyes.
Ok... so you claim that snow blindness is more a factor than relentless sun?

First of all, in the Arctic and high latitudes the period when there's snow (winter) the daylight hours are few (5 hours 45 minutes during winter solstice at my latitude), winters are especially in Europe extremely gloomy (little reflection) and so on. For example my location gets less sunshine in the November-February period than in the month of July.

Meanwhile in Sahara where the environment is also very light (sandy), places like Tunis gets 1000 hours of more sun than my city and the sun angle is very high, all logic says to me that Saharans should have small eyes too. But they don't. Why? Coastal locations are usually sunnier and windier than inland locations, so people living in Ireland should have really really small eyes simply because of the wind.

I'm quite confident that this reflection thing is just BS and an urban legend, the Inuits have small eyes simply because their heritage is Asian.

I never need sunglasses in winter, but need them in summer. Still you claim that a wintery, snowy reflection is due to of evolution and adaption, while actual sunshine isn't? It's simply illogical.

Last edited by Ariete; 04-05-2015 at 08:14 AM..

Old 04-05-2015, 08:43 AM

11,269 posts, read 11,235,673 times
First of all, calm down, Ariete. lol And yes, I do. With reflected snow you're getting intense light from everywhere. Not just above. It doesn't matter how many hours in a day the sun is out. Snow blindness is like a welders flash. I know very well they are of Asian decent. And the Mongoloids are thought to have originated on steppes and tundra of Asia. They developed their eyes they way they did to protect them from wind and light. You do understand that some arctic areas in Canada.....ALWAYS have snow, right?

I always need sunglasses in the winter. What's your point?

Old 04-05-2015, 11:07 AM

23,597 posts, read 14,860,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post
First of all, calm down, Ariete. lol And yes, I do. With reflected snow you're getting intense light from everywhere. Not just above. It doesn't matter how many hours in a day the sun is out. Snow blindness is like a welders flash. I know very well they are of Asian decent. And the Mongoloids are thought to have originated on steppes and tundra of Asia. They developed their eyes they way they did to protect them from wind and light. You do understand that some arctic areas in Canada.....ALWAYS have snow, right?

I always need sunglasses in the winter. What's your point?
I am calm. Why doesn't Berbers or like Pueblo peoples too have small eyes, as they are very much exposed to light. Why do Chinese people have, but Swedes or Finns or Ukrainians don't look like this:

Our snow and sun is somewhat different? And why wouldn't daylight hours matter? After all, we are talking about light, right? If wind is the problem, why do Celtic people, who inhabit some very windswept regions like Brittany and Scotland don't have small eyes?

This Tuareg man wears a tagelmust, you definitely see he needs protection from light, sand and wind:

I'm still confident that the snow-reflection is an urban legend. Surprised that you as a Canadian, well accustomed to snow, actually believes it.

Old 04-05-2015, 02:41 PM

118 posts, read 79,622 times
Some Irish people have a unique eye shape. Its not really small or anything completely different to English people BUT it is really easy to spot. I am not sure how to describe it verbally, this image is a good example.

http://www.irishtimes.com/polopoly_f..._330/image.jpg

Old 04-05-2015, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theropod View Post
Are there ethnicities where people tend to have larger or smaller eyes in general?

For example, from my experience, Russians and Slavs tend to have rather smaller shaped eyes overall, whereas Greeks and Italians have larger eyes.

Is there a truth to this or is it a stereotype?
I can ALWAYS spot a Polish person and I have never been to Poland . I don't know what it is about their eyes but they are very distinctive.

Old 04-05-2015, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
There is only one race - the human race. I think it's perfectly clear for everybody else but Anglos. An African is not of another race compared to me, but the same.
What!?

Old 04-05-2015, 03:28 PM

668 posts, read 542,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onefair View Post
I can ALWAYS spot a Polish person and I have never been to Poland . I don't know what it is about their eyes but they are very distinctive.
I doubt you'd be able to tell if I was polish

Old 04-05-2015, 03:45 PM

668 posts, read 542,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onefair View Post

what makes me look polish ?

http://postimg.org/image/a1fxo4jir/

Old 04-05-2015, 03:49 PM

You don't have Polish eyes so to ME you don't look Polish. Maybe German or something.

Are you American with a bit of Polish?

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...6a939e2160.jpg
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World