U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2015, 07:26 PM

118 posts, read 73,123 times

Advertisements

Not British or any specific nationality but European.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2015, 07:40 PM

8,995 posts, read 4,932,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Ok... so you claim that snow blindness is more a factor than relentless sun?

First of all, in the Arctic and high latitudes the period when there's snow (winter) the daylight hours are few (5 hours 45 minutes during winter solstice at my latitude), winters are especially in Europe extremely gloomy (little reflection) and so on. For example my location gets less sunshine in the November-February period than in the month of July.

Meanwhile in Sahara where the environment is also very light (sandy), places like Tunis gets 1000 hours of more sun than my city and the sun angle is very high, all logic says to me that Saharans should have small eyes too. But they don't. Why? Coastal locations are usually sunnier and windier than inland locations, so people living in Ireland should have really really small eyes simply because of the wind.

I'm quite confident that this reflection thing is just BS and an urban legend, the Inuits have small eyes simply because their heritage is Asian.

I never need sunglasses in winter, but need them in summer. Still you claim that a wintery, snowy reflection is due to of evolution and adaption, while actual sunshine isn't? It's simply illogical.
I couldn't agree more.

Inuits and the rest of the polar people have these (slanted) eyes simply because they originated from Eastern Asia. It was probably a "fluke" in evolution that somehow occurred in that part of Asia.

If it wasn't a fluke, wouldn't Europeans and North Africans also obtain small eyes with an epicanthal fold?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsNHL View Post
What do my eyes look like?
The eyebrows and its ridge would tell a lot (if you happened to show them).

I'm gonna take a wild guess and say Italian or Slavic?

Old 04-06-2015, 03:21 AM

11,266 posts, read 10,619,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
I am calm. Why doesn't Berbers or like Pueblo peoples too have small eyes, as they are very much exposed to light.
Berbers do have epicanthical folds, don't they?

These are Moroccan Berbers

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=...28399916552666

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=...28399948232253

Quote:
Why do Chinese people have, but Swedes or Finns or Ukrainians don't look like this:
Another common name for epicantical fold, is Nordic Fold.

Look at the Sami people for example:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=...28399977421116

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=...28400012340204

Quote:
Our snow and sun is somewhat different? And why wouldn't daylight hours matter? After all, we are talking about light, right?
Maybe? Maybe the snow is different that far north. Less moisture in the air? We are talking about radiation. Snow reflects up to 80% of UV radiation. Dry sand, reflects 15%.

There is a reason more modern Inuit even went so far as to develop these for protection:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=...28400051224363

http://www.christies.com/lotfinderim.../d4648452x.jpg

^^ look familiar?

As I said, I have no doubt that the Inuit eyes are the shape they are due to their Asian heritage, but I have no doubt this is why they were originally developed this way. Theropod's explanation of it being a "fluke" is wrong, as I've just shown Europeans, and North Africans with epicanthal folds. You can't just poo-poo this stuff away as urban legend.

Quote:
If wind is the problem, why do Celtic people, who inhabit some very windswept regions like Brittany and Scotland don't have small eyes?
But some do.

These men are Irish

http://www.heritagecouncil.ie/educat...er-exhibition/

However, after many generations of mixing with the rest of the UK, these traits have probably dropped off.

Quote:
This Tuareg man wears a tagelmust, you definitely see he needs protection from light, sand and wind:
Indeed he does. So does this one:

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=i&rct=j...28400299912824

Quote:
I'm still confident that the snow-reflection is an urban legend. Surprised that you as a Canadian, well accustomed to snow, actually believes it.
lol Well, I don't know what to tell ya, man. I could very well be wrong, but I'm fairly sure that I'm not.

Last edited by Magnatomicflux; 04-06-2015 at 03:51 AM..

Old 04-06-2015, 03:34 AM

23,062 posts, read 13,621,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post
Another common name for epicantical fold, is Nordic Fold.

Look at the Sami people for example:

Maybe? Maybe the snow is different that far north. Less moisture in the air? We are talking about radiation. Snow reflects up to 80% of UV radiation. Dry sand, reflects 15%.

You can't just poo-poo this stuff away as urban legend.
The Sami people are a small minority in Norway, Sweden and Finland. They don't represent the general population. And we have been here just for only 10,000 years, the humans haven't evolved much since. The Sami are of European peoples the one who are genetically least European.

More moisture, most likely. It's a hell lot humid and damp here than say, Winnipeg in winter.

I think I can. FAS children are probably really good tolerating sun. If on average here the snow cover last for roughly 3 months of the year, this year it was like 2 weeks, I severely doubt the snow season would overplay the green season, which is 9 months of the year.

Not that I'm at all interested in this 19th century skull measurement at all either. It just reeks of nazi, like in 99% of my fellow Europeans, you probably understand the cultural stigma. Before joining C-D I wasn't even aware that skull-measurement, ethnicity, eye and skin colour and looking at pictures of individual and labeling different traits is common over there. TBH, I find it quite barbarian. So is also collecting data on ethnicity.

Old 04-06-2015, 04:31 AM

1,953 posts, read 1,771,692 times
Japanese eye

Old 04-06-2015, 07:50 AM

2,350 posts, read 3,792,443 times
Why the characters in Japanese comics (manga and anime) have always very big eyes?

Old 04-06-2015, 09:30 AM

5,830 posts, read 3,412,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalaMan View Post
Why the characters in Japanese comics (manga and anime) have always very big eyes?

Japanese think the bigger the merrier when it comes to eyes, I guess. They try to do the same in real life as well.

Like these ladies.

Old 04-06-2015, 12:12 PM

2,350 posts, read 3,792,443 times
wow...

that's what I call "real life manga"...

Old 04-06-2015, 07:35 PM

448 posts, read 370,777 times
Japanese with naturally big eyes are less genetically close to nearby people of similar latitude, such as Koreans, Manchus, Northern Han Chinese and Mongols.

I do not know if Ainus have large or smaller eyes.

Taiwanese aboriginals, Filipino, Indonesians and Pacific Islanders usually have large eyes.

Old 04-06-2015, 07:44 PM

448 posts, read 370,777 times
It varies. Vietnam was ruled by China for about 1000 years, and Central to Southern Vietnam were different kingdoms populated by Austronesians and Khmers. Some ethnic groups have assimilated into mainstream Vietnamese, while there are still some ethnic minorities in Inland Vietnam, there are some Hoa people originating from China.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevania01 View Post
SE Asian except vietnamese, they have small eyes ( slanted eye) like a typical East Asian eye

Indonesian Eyes :

Sigi Wimala Operasi Lasik karena Tak Betah Pakai Kacamata Tebal - Tribunnews.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World