Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2015, 05:34 PM

676 posts, read 989,819 times

Advertisements

Back when I lived in Poland
we used to go to church with a basket of food

The basket was then blessed by a priest at mass

we also used to make Easter Palms and we brought them with us to church
Easter palm - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
we used to decorate them and we even had competitions at church for the best one

Instead of Easter eggs we have lambs in Poland which are sometimes made out of sugar or butter and sometimes cake
https://atthepolishtable.files.wordp.../baraneklr.jpg

Everybody goes to mass in Poland on easter, it's a big event

I don't really do anything at easter now, apart from going to church
It's not really as big here as it is in Poland
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2015, 12:47 AM

1,071 posts, read 1,260,039 times
We have a lot of people/towns making Easter Fires. Especially in the Eastern part of our country this is very popular. This one won the world record at 45,98 m.

Old 04-06-2015, 01:42 AM

8,864 posts, read 8,446,442 times
Nobody celebrates Easter here. I don't even know when Easter is gonna be, is it today?

Old 04-06-2015, 01:44 AM

Yesterday was the first Easter day, today the second

Old 04-06-2015, 01:47 AM

8,864 posts, read 8,446,442 times
Oh there are two Easters? I had no idea lol.

Old 04-06-2015, 01:54 AM

Yep, always a Sunday and the next Monday. Second day is always the most boring, since everything is closed and the party is over. Only the big shopping malls are open. So what mainstream Holland does is going to the big "housing boulevards" and go shop for furniture.

I'll stay with doing some work in the garden since it's great weather over here now.

Old 04-06-2015, 02:21 AM

1,373 posts, read 1,443,307 times
Here in Italy Easter is firstly a religious celebration, in fact Easter (together with Christmas) is one of the days in which there is the highest number of people that go to church.
However it is considered the boring part of the festivity, in particular if you are not a so religious person (like me for example).

About the most funny stuffs, we are used to give chocolate eggs to other people as a present (and in particular to children).
Those eggs contain a little (and usually completely useless) present. We are used to open those eggs during the Easter morning, and in particular children like it a lot (as much as to open their present at Christmas or at their birthday). However, also adults like those eggs because it's a good excuse to eat a lot of chocolate.
We don't have any kind of eggs hunt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjN8thn7iqM
^ a boy that is opening a really big chocolate egg, a normal egg is more or less a quarter of that one.

Another tradition is the Easter lunch, that in a lot of families is a huge meal in which are invited practically all your known relatives. A lot of regions have specific recipes that are prepared only for Easter. A lot of those recipes have lamb and\or eggs in them.

Instead today is Pasquetta (Easter Monday), and usually in this day we pass this day outdoor. If we can we do a trip in the countryside, and we prepare picnics and\or barbecues. We are more likely to pass Easter with our families and Easter Monday with our friends. So usually today is the funniest day of this period.
But today here we are really unlucky, because it's still really cold (it's 10AM and the temperature is still lower than 10°C...), so we will probably remain at home this year...

Last edited by Urania93; 04-06-2015 at 02:44 AM..

Old 04-06-2015, 02:43 AM

4,491 posts, read 6,344,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagittarius Sirius View Post
Back when I lived in Poland
we used to go to church with a basket of food

The basket was then blessed by a priest at mass

we also used to make Easter Palms and we brought them with us to church
Easter palm - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
we used to decorate them and we even had competitions at church for the best one

Instead of Easter eggs we have lambs in Poland which are sometimes made out of sugar or butter and sometimes cake
https://atthepolishtable.files.wordp.../baraneklr.jpg

Everybody goes to mass in Poland on easter, it's a big event

I don't really do anything at easter now, apart from going to church
It's not really as big here as it is in Poland
It's exactly like that in Austria. Less and less people go to church, though.

Plus there is a "Osterball" in my area in Upper Austria. A Ball-event where people dress up in traditional clothes and get wasted. After all it's the end of the Easter lent.

Old 04-06-2015, 02:59 AM

5,406 posts, read 3,602,806 times
We don't celebrate Easter, Christmas or any of the other times in the Christian calendar as we are Pagans.

Old 04-06-2015, 03:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpaul View Post
We don't celebrate Easter, Christmas or any of the other times in the Christian calendar as we are Pagans.
So, do you celebrate Yule then? I read it's a sort of equivalent of Christmas, is there a Pagan equivalent for Easter as well?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World