Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2015, 02:31 AM

183 posts, read 219,008 times

Advertisements

New York and Philadelphia are as close to European cities as you can get. Outside of those 2 the U.S. is auto-dependent and most people just don't care no matter how hard I try to convince them that biking, walking, or transit is better than taking the 4-wheels everywhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2015, 05:42 AM

24,205 posts, read 24,644,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I think the emerging trend in urbanism in the western world is about having your cake and eating it too.

In Europe they have the vibrant central city thing down pat but a lot of people are wanting the single-family home lifestyle or at least a lifestyle that's not a cramped apartment in a building. Very few cities are hollowing out at the centre but if you look at where most of the growth is taking place it's on the outskirts in more auto-dependent styles (if not quite as auto-dependent as in the US).
I'm sorry, but this trend reversed already in the 90's. The majority of people, though not all, want a green urban lifestyle close to culture and city life even when they get children. What pushes people into the suburbs are mostly as you said the size of the apartment (and price), not that they want a detached house and the amazing chore of mowing your lawn.

This is my dream: 210m² Pohjoinen Rautatiekatu 15, 00100 Helsinki Kerrostalo 6h myynnissä | Oikotie 8675050

Old 04-21-2015, 06:26 AM

11,974 posts, read 25,334,810 times
The better question: why did N American towns go away from the pre WW2 American model? You had scenic, walkable core areas and classy housing that was compact yet offered more breathing room than European styles.

Old school neighborhoods are making a comeback, many cities have at least one newly built traditional style neighborhood. Realtors are taking notice that these areas maintained or grew property value throughout the housing bubble and are highly coveted.

Here's an example in my city

https://www.google.com/maps/place/No...c983c546db801a

Old 04-21-2015, 11:43 AM
SE9

219 posts, read 345,124 times
Houses leading on to pedestrian friendly streets, walkable amenities, stores on the sidewalk, looking good!

As I touched upon earlier, they're doing the same in Atlanta. It instantly makes for better neighborhoods than the auto-centered, gated community, highway, strip mall concept.

Old 04-21-2015, 01:25 PM

14,848 posts, read 21,378,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SE9 View Post
Houses leading on to pedestrian friendly streets, walkable amenities, stores on the sidewalk, looking good!

As I touched upon earlier, they're doing the same in Atlanta. It instantly makes for better neighborhoods than the auto-centered, gated community, highway, strip mall concept.
See i don't get it, you people not only try to tell everyone how to live but you think you are all so much better and its your way or the highway... why is it hard for so many of you to accept the fact that many people have different preferences? why do you care so much about peoples life in the suburbs?

Old 04-21-2015, 03:23 PM

62 posts, read 120,743 times
Hitchin' a ride: Fewer Americans have their own vehicle | University of Michigan News

There definitely appears to be a trend of more and more people in Chicago ditching cars altogether. A lot of people I know in Chicago and especially New York City do not have a car, but rely on Zip cars(short term rental) for weekend getaways. However I know a fair amount of people in both cities that own a car, but only use it for special trips and big grocery runs, otherwise they keep it in a garage or at a family member's house.

Chicago

"The better question: why did N American towns go away from the pre WW2 American model? You had scenic, walkable core areas and classy housing that was compact yet offered more breathing room than European styles. "

I think the answer is cheap housing, cheap easy green field development, easy loans, highway construction was made a top priority by the government, marketing, and the fact that the biggest densest cities in the US at the time (Boston, Detroit, Chicago, New York, Philadelphia etc..) were much more polluted, too crowded/dirty, & full of immigrant/racial tension prior to WW2.

It is a bit ironic that people used cars and sprawl to escape pollution, yet today the sprawl car lifestyle creates massive amount of pollution from car exhaust and from extracting & refining the oil itself. Los Angeles for example has awful air pollution, some of the worst in the US. I don't think it is a coincidence that California legislature is well known for trying to pass eco friendly laws because it is probably one of the most polluted state/regions in the world due to wasteful desert farming using massive quantities of diverted water which destroyed huge swaths of natural ecology, sprawl & cars, and the air getting trapped west of the mountains. Anyways, I'm getting a bit off topic, my point if I have one is that sprawl is not only ugly and destroys pedestrian vibrancy (which makes inferior communities in my opinion), but it is also very bad for the environment. Someone earlier mentioned sprawl being unsustainable, it will be interesting what happens to these places in the coming decades.

Old 04-21-2015, 04:24 PM

9,980 posts, read 12,319,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
See i don't get it, you people not only try to tell everyone how to live but you think you are all so much better and its your way or the highway... why is it hard for so many of you to accept the fact that many people have different preferences? why do you care so much about peoples life in the suburbs?
Living in massive houses in sprawling Suburbs isn't sustainable it may be your preference but it isn't good for the environment.

That's just a fact.

Old 04-21-2015, 05:07 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,334,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post

The 90% of the world not living in the USA, Canada, or Australia get fed up with 10% of the people using 40% of the resources. People in the Third World get tired of American companies extracting the oil under their feet so we can drive Escalades 50 miles roundtrip per day while they cook their dinner over an ox dung fire.

The good news is America is rapidly becoming a greener (at least less un-green) society due to economic and demographic factors. We're using less electricity, water, and oil now than 15 years ago. Most Americans are low wage workers but now even middle and high income earners have huge amounts of student loan debt which means young home buyers can only afford small starter homes rather than McMansions.

Old 04-22-2015, 12:58 PM

888 posts, read 1,584,396 times
I doubt most people would really want to spend too long in NY or London and deal with the cost of living and such. Sure if you are young, single, and have well above average income. It's totally different when it's not just about you, but also a wife and 4 kids for example. And i believe this is exactly the type of crowd that is drawn into "Sunbelt Sprawlvilles" by decent, safe neighborhoods with good schools and a little bit more space for a price that can fit well into an average familys budget. In these dense urban environments, such people would have to settle for much less, and while they might be in the middle of "culture" and "enlightment", they'd very likely be priced out of enjoying much any of it.

But oh well, please carry on bashing these "lesser folk" for wanting a decent lifestyle and settling for the best possible option they can get.

Old 04-22-2015, 01:47 PM

14,848 posts, read 21,378,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
The 90% of the world not living in the USA, Canada, or Australia get fed up with 10% of the people using 40% of the resources. People in the Third World get tired of American companies extracting the oil under their feet so we can drive Escalades 50 miles roundtrip per day while they cook their dinner over an ox dung fire.

The good news is America is rapidly becoming a greener (at least less un-green) society due to economic and demographic factors. We're using less electricity, water, and oil now than 15 years ago. Most Americans are low wage workers but now even middle and high income earners have huge amounts of student loan debt which means young home buyers can only afford small starter homes rather than McMansions.
That is part of life, those people can afford the Escalade and the gas so they have every right to drive 50 miles a day if they please. but i am asking these pro urban posters who are not living in 3rd world nations cooking food over an ox dung fire why they are so bothered by it.

These western european nations use just as much resources as we do, because they also have the money...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World