Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2015, 01:23 AM

18,492 posts, read 15,342,596 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post
That's all newly built?? Even the commercial buildings?!?! I LOVE IT!!!! (not the street layout though)
Interesting development. I like it too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2015, 03:28 PM

943 posts, read 776,905 times
This whole thread is based on false premises. New urbanist DO look to Europe on how to make towns more walkable. But zoning laws and NIMBYISM makes it difficult to implement it. That said, I want to live in a walkable town/city, but I don't want to live in a carbon copy of some European city. It is bad enough many planenrs try to create disneyfied "town squares." Architecture and planning should be culturally relevant to the area. Simply looking at pre second world war II neighborhoods would help.

Old 11-01-2015, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mag3.14 View Post
You mean get crime up to European levels right? Baltimore aside, most American towns would be horrified at the crime rates of many a Euro nation
That is nonsense. Most European crime is property crime. The US has a 4.4 crime rate whereas most of Europe and developed countries are in the 2s. And before you blame black people, white American crime rate is above European and developed averages. Europe doesn't share our gun crime or murder rate. I will admit they have higher rates of petty crimes.

Old 11-01-2015, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by viribusunitis View Post
Huh? You do realize that European cities aren't confined to the areas within ancient city walls?
Most European countries don't have as much space to build new towns or suburbs. There are more laws to protect the country-side. Outside of the coast, most US cities can sprawl. And I don't necessarily mean ugly suburban sprawl.

Old 11-02-2015, 06:47 AM

2,975 posts, read 2,793,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moionfire View Post
This whole thread is based on false premises. New urbanist DO look to Europe on how to make towns more walkable. But zoning laws and NIMBYISM makes it difficult to implement it. That said, I want to live in a walkable town/city, but I don't want to live in a carbon copy of some European city. It is bad enough many planenrs try to create disneyfied "town squares." Architecture and planning should be culturally relevant to the area. Simply looking at pre second world war II neighborhoods would help.
That's something i can agree with, American cities should develop their own architectural style, they should look to Neoclassic, Colonial, Italianate and all the styles which were common in the USA up until the first half 20th century.

The presence of squares is necessary however, they should be the center of a neighbourhood where people would meet up for events and the like.

Old 11-02-2015, 12:21 PM

515 posts, read 467,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post
That's all newly built?? Even the commercial buildings?!?! I LOVE IT!!!! (not the street layout though)
Very elegant isn't it? Has elements of both (at least what seem to me to be) americana and European suburbia.

Old 11-07-2015, 11:45 AM

2,639 posts, read 1,977,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Randal Walker View Post
But in general, yes, the character that comes from history/time would be lacking. And as Jane Jacobs pointed out, for a vibrant urbanism you need some older buildings, ones that are already paid for; new construction tends to fill with chains, because small or new businesses/nonprofit endeavors cannot afford the rent.

If starting fresh, a fairly vibrant urbanism would be the result of long term cultivation; I suspect that it would take a human lifetime to achieve that, and a sense of history would still be quite limited.

Perhaps a rough/unrefined version of urbanism could be achieved on a shorter time scale-I am thinking of TODs (Transit Orientated Development).
At this point, to build in the USA a European style city you would either have to pick a green field site, or embrace so called Urban Renewal. Which meant demolishing what existed before, with the notion that it would be replaced with something better.

Which did not work out very well. To invent a metaphor, Urban Renewal could be compared to performing surgery…with an ax.

Last edited by Tim Randal Walker; 11-07-2015 at 12:10 PM..

Old 11-11-2015, 06:19 AM

23,771 posts, read 28,847,574 times
I read somewhere that a California billionaire is in discussions with German authorities to move one of their towns (Cologne I think) in it's entirety; building, people and their pets, to the US and open it as a theme park.

Old 11-11-2015, 10:06 AM

26,758 posts, read 37,652,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
I read somewhere that a California billionaire is in discussions with German authorities to move one of their towns (Cologne I think) in it's entirety; building, people and their pets, to the US and open it as a theme park.
Hmmm Cologne is a city of one million people!

Old 11-11-2015, 11:08 AM

24,205 posts, read 24,644,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Hmmm Cologne is a city of one million people!
The Germans would probably be thrilled to move one of Europe's most well-known landmarks to an US themepark too.

But the US and UK have already destroyed the city once, so...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World