Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 06-20-2017, 02:11 PM
 
Location: Seoul
11,556 posts, read 9,269,744 times
Reputation: 4655

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenFresno View Post
A good example of a very American city that has all of the features you would want in a city is Chicago. Its dense, built on a grid system, has good public transportation, lots of in city green space, majestic skyline, and is entirely walkable. At the same time it is very prototypical American city, one you would never confuse it for a city in Europe. I would much rather have American cities take after Chicago then a European city. We have a great template already here, lets copy that. Ditto New York as well.
New York and Philadelphia are both great models. In a better universe, every American city would be built like Philly or NYC
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-20-2017, 02:35 PM
 
Location: Gatineau, Québec
26,765 posts, read 37,688,818 times
Reputation: 11542
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokitobounto View Post
Probably they say the truth. Montreal must be truly lovely. But this is clearly a promotional video for the city.
It's actually not a promotional or tourism video.


Though it's obviously made by someone with an interest in showcasing the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-20-2017, 02:38 PM
 
Location: Gatineau, Québec
26,765 posts, read 37,688,818 times
Reputation: 11542
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
Montreal is a beautiful city, but it just doesnt compare with a city like Paris or Lyon. Montreal is one of the best cities in North America; Paris is one of the best cities in the entire world
In terms of aesthetic beauty perhaps not, but for other stuff not sure Lyon trumps Montreal. This would be highly debatable.


Paris of course is a whole other ball game.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-20-2017, 03:15 PM
 
Location: Near Luxembourg
1,892 posts, read 1,665,159 times
Reputation: 1392
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
In terms of aesthetic beauty perhaps not, but for other stuff not sure Lyon trumps Montreal. This would be highly debatable.


Paris of course is a whole other ball game.
Mmmm right...Montreal must be great, Lyon is great too. A Paris without the speed, touristic pressure and all the bad things it brings.

I could choose Lyon because of its geography...Alps, Massif Central, Rhone Valley and its Provence, 'rivieira', Switzerland... Clearly a sympathic spot.

I can tell you that if you are a normal person, not specially rich, Montreal is better than Paris to live in. Because when you are normal, you don't live in Paris -or in the north- but suburbs (not west or east ofc, where it's 1/2 million euros immediately when you buy something even modest ) that have nothing special.

Not that I hate Montrouge, but it's BS compare to Montreal I.... Guess
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-21-2017, 10:47 AM
 
Location: Vancouver
18,490 posts, read 15,363,572 times
Reputation: 11929
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
In terms of aesthetic beauty perhaps not, but for other stuff not sure Lyon trumps Montreal. This would be highly debatable.


Paris of course is a whole other ball game.
Oh god my worse nightmare. Deciding which is " better " Lyon or Montreal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-21-2017, 11:36 AM
 
2,631 posts, read 2,032,258 times
Reputation: 3134
Montreal is in my top two cities in North America.

Signed--Nationalistic Ugly American
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-02-2017, 03:20 AM
 
2,639 posts, read 1,979,501 times
Reputation: 1988
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenFresno View Post
I would much rather have American cities take after Chicago then a European city. We have a great template already here, lets copy that. Ditto New York as well.
There was a thread regarding turning cities such as Houston or San Diego into copies of northeastern cities. It was concluded that it may be possible to make them more urban, but it is very unlikely that they would ever closely resemble any eastern city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-02-2017, 05:02 AM
 
345 posts, read 266,200 times
Reputation: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I think part of the answer to the OP is that in North America people tend to value personal space more than public space. And they also have the luxury (affordability) to be able to do that.

As one poster said, many NA cities are moving towards a greater valorization of public spaces (often along pseudo-uropean models) but sometimes the personal space thing is at odds with the public space thing.

Historically, in North America when that conflict happens, personal space wins out. This is what is increasingly happening in Europe as well. Although not on as massive a scale due to reasons of history, land availability, geography, etc.



If you take a look at pre-motorization eastern seabord historical downtowns in the US, they were not substantially different from modern, contemporary European cities that emerged after tearing down the walls.

I'm referring to the new planned quadricula cities, a product of the 19th century that started with off the wall buildings - bourgs during middle ages.

What junked American cities were cars, motorization, suburbanity...that was pushed a century or less ago.

In Europe, urban trends are just the same that in the US right now.....gentrification.

The Doughnut effect but in reverse, wealthy people are pushing low income and old people from the "inner city"...which in Europe are the areas that were protected by walls.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-02-2017, 07:48 AM
 
Location: Bologna, Italy
7,501 posts, read 6,231,935 times
Reputation: 3761
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokitobounto View Post
Mmmm right...Montreal must be great, Lyon is great too. A Paris without the speed, touristic pressure and all the bad things it brings.

I could choose Lyon because of its geography...Alps, Massif Central, Rhone Valley and its Provence, 'rivieira', Switzerland... Clearly a sympathic spot.

I can tell you that if you are a normal person, not specially rich, Montreal is better than Paris to live in. Because when you are normal, you don't live in Paris -or in the north- but suburbs (not west or east ofc, where it's 1/2 million euros immediately when you buy something even modest ) that have nothing special.

Not that I hate Montrouge, but it's BS compare to Montreal I.... Guess
Lyon has the advantage of being quite big, yet walkable and easy to access everything. And yeah, proximity to many cool places. Paris is great to visit, but I always feel like I'm swallowed everytime I go there, and after about 3 days I want to leave.

Don't know Montréal, but I'd sure like to see it. I really enjoyed Toronto when i was there, but it took like 8 years to go anywhere because of the distances. Still it felt quieter and almost more village-like than Lyon or even here because Canadians are so quiet and polite. More space also between buildings and houses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-04-2017, 09:44 AM
 
Location: Gatineau, Québec
26,765 posts, read 37,688,818 times
Reputation: 11542
Quote:
Originally Posted by forgotten username View Post
.

Don't know Montréal, but I'd sure like to see it. I really enjoyed Toronto when i was there, but it took like 8 years to go anywhere because of the distances. Still it felt quieter and almost more village-like than Lyon or even here because Canadians are so quiet and polite. More space also between buildings and houses.

I've always found it interesting that you say that you've lived in Toronto, but you never got to Montreal/Quebec during that time...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top