U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2015, 06:52 AM

4,803 posts, read 5,045,870 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I'm sorry to deflate your logic, but people who commit suicide do not comprise a random statistical sample valid for use in judging an entire population's psychological profile.
Of course not but there is a misconception in the US that several European countries (the Scandinavian ones in particular) have a high suicide rate. Is is so hard to check some data before writing a post?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2015, 07:23 AM

42,672 posts, read 67,867,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmptrwlt View Post
Of course not but there is a misconception in the US that several European countries (the Scandinavian ones in particular) have a high suicide rate. Is is so hard to check some data before writing a post?
And Finland has more NHL-class ice-hockey goaltenders. But, like suicides, it is not a measure that is relevant to the topic. If for no other reason, simply because it is an insignificantly tiny and very heavily weighted slice of outliers within the demographic as a whole. Would you trust a Gallup Poll about, say, personal financial situation if the respondent sample consisted entirely of people who had attempted suicide?

Last edited by jtur88; 04-25-2015 at 07:36 AM..

Old 04-25-2015, 11:36 AM

2,986 posts, read 1,741,414 times
The truth is that happiness is one of those things that can't really be measured, these rankings are more often than not useless.
Anyay that doesn't mean people aren't happy, the average Swiss could have many things to be happy for but it can't be measured and compared in any way.

Old 04-25-2015, 07:42 PM

6,505 posts, read 3,876,831 times
I've been to Switzerland only once, and if they're a happy bunch, they have a funny way of showing it.
I didn't realise such boring, miserable people even existed.

Just my opinion of course before an extremely happy Swiss poster jumps on me.

Old 04-26-2015, 10:48 AM

448 posts, read 421,211 times
If people in rich country are unhappy, this is not related to money.
Must be many other reasons.

Old 04-26-2015, 02:53 PM

6,087 posts, read 9,011,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ISTJ View Post
Swiss reign supreme in world happiness ranks | World news | The Guardian

As a person living in Switzerland, i'm speechless.

The Swiss would have to be the most miserable looking people i've ever seen in the world. You never see them smiling or laughing, and the suicide rate is one of the highest in europe!

They are socially disconnected and are only concerned about work and money.

Do you agree with this report?
Same thing with the Danish. They were voted most happiest but yet they have a high suicide rate, nanny government, most expensive cost of living, and plethora of other issues. I have a high suspicion leftist with an agenda are behind these studies.

Old 04-26-2015, 03:54 PM

4,803 posts, read 5,045,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
Same thing with the Danish. They were voted most happiest but yet they have a high suicide rate, nanny government, most expensive cost of living, and plethora of other issues. I have a high suspicion leftist with an agenda are behind these studies.
The suicide rate in Denmark is lower than in the US What is wrong with a welfare state and income equality? Yes, all these reports are part of leftist conspiracy.

Old 04-26-2015, 11:36 PM

42,672 posts, read 67,867,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lokeung) View Post
If people in rich country are unhappy, this is not related to money.
Must be many other reasons.
I've known plenty of people a lot richer than me, but non were any happier. It's not often related to money. Most people figure out how to live within their budget and still be contented and fulfilled.

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
And I have a high suspicion a rightist with an agenda is behind your analysis. Most people in the world are perfectly happy with a nanny government, generally the rank and file don't really want to take responsibility for affairs of state or the national economy, and don't mind leaving it to people well-studied in those fields of administration. They seem to have enough earnings to offset their high cost of living, since there are not an awfully lot of homeless shelters or soup kitchens or beggars in Denmark.

Last edited by jtur88; 04-26-2015 at 11:48 PM..

Old 01-13-2018, 04:41 PM

5,795 posts, read 9,689,124 times
Severe deprivation away from a solid megalopolis holding title. Zurich is only approximately 400,000 people. https://www.worldatlas.com/articles/...itzerland.html Urbanite enthusiasts might not find that satisfying at a macro scale. Can anyone explain why Austria never went imperialistic on these lands. Austria going through Hungary, even Croatia, Romania, yet never grabbing territories from vast swaths of Switzerland. What a very odd mystery.

Old 01-13-2018, 06:00 PM

12 posts, read 1,493 times
I went to the French side of Switzerland and the people were very nice, polite and friendly. They were having fun just next to the gorgeous lake with the mountains that they have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World