U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2018, 02:56 AM

1,719 posts, read 538,740 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthony69 View Post
Happiness is cultural

A Sicilian will be happier than a Danish any time

the Happiest people I know are the mediterraneans, latin americans and pacific islanders.

the most unhappy people I know are the japanese, chinese, and northern and eastern europeans
But who would be happier -- the Sicilian living in Denmark, or the Dane living in Sicily? There are places in the world where it is easy to be happy, and some not so easy.

Most such rankings Ive seen find that people in Roman Catholic countries are the happiest. A person's ingrained spiritual perceptions can have more to do with happiness than their immediate social or economic circumstances.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2018, 03:35 AM

6,981 posts, read 2,352,440 times
This was a post from 2015 and is not a newly published report.

In terns of the most recent repirt in 2017 Norway was ranked first and Switzerland was 4th.

Last edited by Brave New World; 01-16-2018 at 03:53 AM..

Old 01-17-2018, 12:55 PM

3,089 posts, read 1,781,960 times
Useless studies trying to measure happiness which can be something very different from individual to individual.

According to Happy Planet Index, Costa Rica has been in and out of the #1 spot in recent years.

Costa Rica

I do not agree that suicide rates should not be taken in consideration...usually happy people usually do not kill themselves...

Old 01-17-2018, 11:56 PM

If a pollter asked you to rate your happiness on a scale of 1-10, what would you say? I'd say "define happiness". How far or wide do the ripples of happiness spread out into what areas that are of concern to me?

As for suicide, that is a completely worthless indicator. First of all, an insignificantly small number of people seriously contemplate suicide, far smaller than any margin of erfror in the metric. And the second, the chance that a person will actually do so depends not on his extreme of unhappiness, but on the cultural attitudes that have been imposed on him, as well as his perception of the consequences in his afterlife. And, the availability of effective means in his environment of doing so. Not to mention his concern for the social stigma that his surviving relatives might have to carry in his particular culture. None of which are a measure of the culture's happiness, nor his own.

Old 01-18-2018, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post
Useless studies trying to measure happiness which can be something very different from individual to individual.

According to Happy Planet Index, Costa Rica has been in and out of the #1 spot in recent years.

Costa Rica

I do not agree that suicide rates should not be taken in consideration...usually happy people usually do not kill themselves...

Suicide rates should be included.

List of sovereign states by suicide rate - Wikipedia

Indeed there are things countries can do to help reduce suicide rates such as prevention work which has significantly reduced suicides in the UK, and by including suicides in the figures it could encourage other countries to adopt such strategies.

UK suicide rate shows largest drop for 20 years - BBC News

Drop in suicide rate in Britain linked to prevention work in England - Guardian

Rail suicides fall by 12% | Samaritans

Drop in rail suicides after new Samaritans course - BBC News

Old 01-18-2018, 12:11 PM

14,799 posts, read 16,524,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ISTJ View Post
Swiss reign supreme in world happiness ranks | World news | The Guardian

As a person living in Switzerland, i'm speechless.

The Swiss would have to be the most miserable looking people i've ever seen in the world. You never see them smiling or laughing, and the suicide rate is one of the highest in europe!

They are socially disconnected and are only concerned about work and money.

Do you agree with this report?
Happiness can't be measured by a little internet study in my honest opinion, however. after spending a few days in Switzerland i will say it is an amazing country and the people were far from miserable, everything was so clean and kept up very well and the scenery was amazing.

Old 01-19-2018, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post

Suicide rates should be included.

That is like saying elephant owners should be given weight in a judgement of how many people sleep with their pets.

Of the links you cite to support your argument, do any of them address the happiness of the general public?

Old 01-19-2018, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
That is like saying elephant owners should be given weight in a judgement of how many people sleep with their pets.

Of the links you cite to support your argument, do any of them address the happiness of the general public?
Clearly they do address the happiness of the general public if they reduce suicide and lead to people getting throuch crisis and back to a state of happiness.

Suicide is the ultimate indicator of unhappiness and despair, and preventing suicide should be the aim of every decent society. Indeed many people who go through suicidal times later go on to fully recover and get back to a place of happiness and normality.

As for your analogy with people sleeping with elephants it's as bizarre as the rest of your post.

The Happiness survey is merely a United Nations Survey based on a questionaire relating to areas to a few questions based on a few criteria, and to be honest most people just throw questionaires in the bin and those that do fill them in usually just tick anything and quickly finish them. It is hardly a comprehensive guide to happiness nor does it reflect many mental health issues related to happiness or important indicators of unhappiness such as suicide rates.

Last edited by Brave New World; 01-19-2018 at 09:25 AM..

Old 01-22-2018, 01:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post

Suicide is the ultimate indicator of unhappiness and despair, and preventing suicide should be the aim of every decent society. Indeed many people who go through suicidal times later go on to fully recover and get back to a place of happiness and normality.
Suicide is also the ultimate indicator of people who have fallen out of touch with their culture and society. So it is counterproductive to use it as a measure of that culture and society which is the opposite of he norm exhibited by suicidal people. It is like determining which is the tallest nation by measuring the shortest one percent.

In fact, one could make the argument that the happiest nations are the ones with the largest number of suicides, because it exactly that prevailing and pervasive happiness that suicidal people are in despair of.

By the way, prisons are very efficient at preventing suicide. The suicide rate is very low in prisons, that is the aim of their decent society. Does that make prison the happiest place?

Old 01-22-2018, 07:54 AM

377 posts, read 144,550 times
Happiness surveys are pretty much worthless, but I have to say that Switzerland is one of my favorite countries and one of the reasons I choose to maintain a residence there (I also like to skii). As stupid as this sounds, it's probably the only landlocked country I ever was smitten by. The scenery is gorgeous, the food is good (you get a lot of good italian and french stuff, as well as some local specialities), the standard of living is very high, the people are very educated and polite.

You don't need much more than that!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World