Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2015, 03:55 PM

1,424 posts, read 2,486,784 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by viribusunitis View Post
IMO Taipei is missing big times on this list. Even though Greysholic will probably chime in and is going to tell some horror stories about it

New York has indeed some of the best food in the world. But it's pretty mediocre in the street food department, when compared to other cities mentioned in this thread. Same with Hong Kong btw. Great restaurant food, but proper street food? Meh.
Yeah, that was the obvious one left-out to me as well. I mean, even just in LA, our emerging night market scene is based on Taipei's scene. My friends couldn't stop raving about them when they were in Taiwan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3waKP1NXSY
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2015, 04:41 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,396,033 times
Los Angeles, California definitely deserves a mention. You can get all kinds of stuff from food trucks, food carts and sometimes even shopping carts, I've seen people put hot pots in shopping carts! LA is really where the food truck/ethnic fusion craze started.

Old 04-27-2015, 06:47 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,540,438 times
The thread has strayed from " street food " to " food trucks ". The cities with the best street food, are cities that aren't necessarily the ones with the best food trucks.

Old 04-27-2015, 07:02 PM

8,864 posts, read 8,437,035 times
Watch out for the gutter oil though, among millions of other food scandals we have here.

Old 04-27-2015, 07:18 PM

8,864 posts, read 8,437,035 times
Btw locals usually say that Tainan is THE city of street food in Taiwan, which I agree. :P

Old 04-27-2015, 08:17 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,396,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
The thread has strayed from " street food " to " food trucks ". The cities with the best street food, are cities that aren't necessarily the ones with the best food trucks.
No one said the cities with the best street food are the ones with the best food trucks. But food trucks are usually considered street food, What exactly is your problem with that? Why should food trucks not be included in this conversation?

Old 04-27-2015, 09:19 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,936,034 times
The down side of street food in Thailand, is that everyone eats street food, they buy it before they go home for the evening, it is served in plastic bags and is pretty hard to negotiate if you aren't in possession of bowls, spoons, etc.

There is no way that Portland is anywhere near the top 1,000 in the world, nor anyplace else that has government regulations on what can be sold for human consumption. Try serving Kazakh horse-meat stew in Portland Oregon, and see how long you are in business. Or cats, bats or rats.

Old 04-28-2015, 06:39 PM

2,974 posts, read 2,814,162 times
I suggest you to go to Napoli and Palermo next time, in these Southern Italian cities you will find plenty of street food, in that regard they are maybe even the capitals of Europe, many little shops where you take away something to eat in the streets or stalls at the market which sell it directly.

In Napoli:
Spoiler

Pizza al Portafoglio

Calzone

Here's one of the little shops i was talking about hich specializes on sfogliatelle

Sfogliatella Riccia

Fried Pizza

Fried Maccheroni

I could go on and on and as a street food lover, it's so good and more than everything cheap, some places even serve parmesan eggplant to eat on the street, you just have to know where to go.

Old 04-29-2015, 04:17 AM

321 posts, read 399,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by improb View Post
I suggest you to go to Napoli and Palermo next time, in these Southern Italian cities you will find plenty of street food, in that regard they are maybe even the capitals of Europe, many little shops where you take away something to eat in the streets or stalls at the market which sell it directly.

In Napoli:

I could go on and on and as a street food lover, it's so good and more than everything cheap, some places even serve parmesan eggplant to eat on the street, you just have to know where to go.
Great to know improb, unfortunately when I visited Naples it was my first time and I knew nothing about this Neapolitan street food, so I often ended up waiting hours for the pizzerias in the city center to open (they open at 7.00 pm for dinner).

Old 04-29-2015, 07:17 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,717,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarineBlue View Post
I'm surprised no mention of New York. I would rank it up among the best gastronomic cities.
New York street food? what a joke. You mean all kinds of hotdogs and hotdogs?

US and Canada are pretty much a dead zone for street food. Can't remotely compare with a real energetic city with streets lined with small venders. Any second tier Chinese city crushes NYC immediately.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World