Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2015, 07:15 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,704,209 times

Advertisements

This is one of the lamest threads I've seen on these boards. How can a language be harmful even if it's a 2nd, 3rd or 10th language... I mean come on
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2015, 07:37 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,933,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
This is one of the lamest threads I've seen on these boards. How can a language be harmful even if it's a 2nd, 3rd or 10th language... I mean come on
OP is.......American. Enough said

Old 05-03-2015, 09:52 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,076,154 times
Some examples of how Quebec's bureaucracy persecutes / harasses its Anglo residents who speak very adequate French but not 100% perfectly

http://www.city-data.com/forum/Canad...-speakers.html

Old 05-03-2015, 10:25 PM

4,865 posts, read 10,526,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowlane3 View Post
Some examples of how Quebec's bureaucracy persecutes / harasses its Anglo residents who speak very adequate French but not 100% perfectly

http://www.city-data.com/forum/Canad...-speakers.html
Okay, for real I am from that English speaking Quebec minority and there are complicated issues, but this thread is full of extreme ignorance, it's pretty hard to understand the issues involved here without a pretty intense knowledge of the societal dynamics on the ground, history, politics etc. I'd advise foreigners to look into this a bit if you want, but try not to jump to any conclusions or take sides, no matter which side you choose things can be pretty grey and you get into some really foundational philosophical questions about how humans organize ourselves.

Old 05-04-2015, 04:58 AM

5,277 posts, read 2,800,352 times
Harm caused by confusion over multiple languages owing to air traffic control is an excellent point. Aboard a ship at sea, every ship must have someone on board to speak a common language English.

These are life and death matters. Like come rescue us the ship is sinking we are at. ... Degree North and ....Degrees West

Travelers rent cars and have to contend already with switching the side of the road. All signage around the world for a STOP sign should look alike. There is nothing harmed if a Frenchman sees STOP instead of ARRET. Whereas an English speaking driver may have no idea they just ran a STOP sign until.

Road traffic injuries are the leading cause of death among
young people, aged 15–29 years.

Old 05-04-2015, 05:28 AM

The United States is terribly guilty of a language sin that sinks ships.

The US is the opposite of the rest of the world on channel markings.
A red channel marking light should be on your right when coming back to the port in the US.

However, this is only in the US and certain countries like the Philippines. Well sometimes in Philippines. I pulled into a new harbor at night in the Philippines and saw a large blinking green light. I kept it on my left. I would have destroyed my sailboat had I come in fast. They were using the wrong color. It was supposed to be white, according to the charts.

Language misunderstandings and color conventions lead to deaths.

Old 05-04-2015, 05:29 AM

2,441 posts, read 2,608,562 times
I've driven in lots of different countries, and the only confusing road sign is the yellow diamond in continental Europe. And it's not so much that it's confusing, it's the rule which it represents whichis so difficult to remember for a foreigner.

PBMaise, stop signs are, in fact, universal or close to it.

Old 05-04-2015, 05:33 AM

Have you ever been to an internet cafe with French keyboards?
They are very difficult to use owing to special characters not in English.

Old 05-04-2015, 05:48 AM

1,600 posts, read 1,889,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbmaise View Post
Harm caused by confusion over multiple languages owing to air traffic control is an excellent point. Aboard a ship at sea, every ship must have someone on board to speak a common language English.

These are life and death matters. Like come rescue us the ship is sinking we are at. ... Degree North and ....Degrees West

Travelers rent cars and have to contend already with switching the side of the road. All signage around the world for a STOP sign should look alike. There is nothing harmed if a Frenchman sees STOP instead of ARRET. Whereas an English speaking driver may have no idea they just ran a STOP sign until.

Road traffic injuries are the leading cause of death among
young people, aged 15–29 years.
Figures are in theory already standardised.
There's no need to read "STOP","ARRÊT" etc when you know the signal.
Though I do agree with the ships and aeroplanes part.

Old 05-04-2015, 06:16 AM

13 posts, read 10,984 times
Europe uses international signals with signs of different shapes and colours. For example, all signs that are written in the US, such as YIELD or ONE DIRECTION, LEFT ONLY, etc, use a sign with no words as in the US.

As to written characters, only names of locations.

I read once that children that are exposed to several languages during their infancy are smarter.

The US system is EASIER to learn, more practical, but it would involve the use of a specific language..and in the EEC that amounts to politics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World