Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which one is your favorite?
Brisbane (Australia) 6 11.32%
Auckland (New Zealand) 14 26.42%
Tel-Aviv (Israel) 4 7.55%
Haifa (Israel) 1 1.89%
Nice (France) 17 32.08%
Valencia (Spain) 11 20.75%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2015, 11:06 AM

6,843 posts, read 10,964,875 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
Haifa and Angeles City are not the 2nd city in their country.
I view Jerusalem as its own thing, a hybrid territory both in Israel and Palestine. The city is subdivided into quarters and has areas of its territory (both city and suburbs) that are in both Israel and Palestine (the West Bank).

Anyhow, I was talking about them in the context of their metropolitan areas as it is.

Israel 2014:
1. Greater Tel-Aviv (Gush Dan): 3,642,000
2. Greater Haifa: 1,050,000
3. Greater Jerusalem: 1,029,300

Both Israel and Palestine also claim Jerusalem to be the capital of their states, officially unrecognized so by the United Nations, for both countries. If you view Jerusalem as solely an Israeli city, that's fine, that in all likelihood would bump Haifa down to third in Israel. If you view it as a disputed territory between two states, then it will exist as an aberration and not the norm of the region.

What place (metropolitan area) aside from Manila is larger than Angeles City in the Philippines? I was under the impression that practically every large city in the Philippines with more than a million people was apart of Metro Manila? Leaving Angeles as the next largest metropolitan area in the Philippines.

Last edited by Trafalgar Law; 09-19-2015 at 11:21 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2015, 02:45 PM

10,646 posts, read 16,030,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red John View Post
What place (metropolitan area) aside from Manila is larger than Angeles City in the Philippines? I was under the impression that practically every large city in the Philippines with more than a million people was apart of Metro Manila? Leaving Angeles as the next largest metropolitan area in the Philippines.
-Cebu City
-Davao City
-Cagayan de Oro

Old 09-20-2015, 12:23 AM

984 posts, read 1,314,638 times
Brisbane and Auckland are both in the middle of no where so I wouldn't consider them. That said if I was forced to I would pick Auckland in a heart beat. I hear it's a very nice city and I have NEVER heard anybody say anything good about Brisbane.

Tel Aviv and Haifa would be out of the question due to the political/religious/social turmoil.

For me it would come down to Valencia or Nice. I think I would probably enjoy Valencia more but being Canadian I speak some French so I would pick Nice.

Old 09-20-2015, 03:32 AM

1,475 posts, read 1,345,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mooguy View Post
Brisbane and Auckland are both in the middle of no where so I wouldn't consider them. That said if I was forced to I would pick Auckland in a heart beat. I hear it's a very nice city and I have NEVER heard anybody say anything good about Brisbane.
Brisbane certainly does have its good points, and its close to the Gold Coast and Sunshine Coast as a bonus. I've no idea why its such a troll magnet...... I suspect most of the naysayers have never actually been there.

Old 09-20-2015, 05:00 PM
Status: "From 31 to 41 Countries Visited: )" (set 8 days ago)

4,640 posts, read 13,919,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mooguy View Post

Tel Aviv and Haifa would be out of the question due to the political/religious/social turmoil.

For me it would come down to Valencia or Nice. I think I would probably enjoy Valencia more but being Canadian I speak some French so I would pick Nice.
Australia is technically less isolated than Western North America and has close enough not too far away proximity to enough places. Southeast Asia(Thailand, Malaysia, Indonesia, Singapore, Vietnam), Oceania Islands (Fiji, New Caledonia), and New Zealand. Brisbane is certainly not in the middle of nowhere near Gold Coast, Sydney, and Melbourne. Not a Perth.

Israel straight up seems too dangerous lately, and too corrupted with hostile neighbors.

Valencia is more spontaneous, and unknown compared with the tourist star area of Nice France maybe getting too much attention occasionally. I bet Valencia's nightlife is better, yet there is mutual understanding why Nice France might get chosen before Valencia.

Last edited by ; 09-20-2015 at 05:11 PM..

Old 09-20-2015, 05:06 PM
Status: "From 31 to 41 Countries Visited: )" (set 8 days ago)

4,640 posts, read 13,919,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakery Hill View Post
Brisbane certainly does have its good points, and its close to the Gold Coast and Sunshine Coast as a bonus. I've no idea why its such a troll magnet...... I suspect most of the naysayers have never actually been there.
Wow, you are right. Brisbane is a really attractive city in some ways. Tons of underrated features on the city, and more urban than expected. A tropical metropolis aura, and Brisbane offers tons of top end urban amenities, even if not Melbourne or Sydney. Gold Coast to Cairns is in immediate close proximity of Brisbane, and probably my 3rd favorite city in Australia. Lots of character, not overly sterile at all.

The same situation occurs with Milan Italy. I never understand why anyone would ever insult Milan when this city is incredibly underrated, and lovely, even occasionally utopian. Must be jealous Southern Italians wanting the wealth of allure on Milan, people just not visiting, or honestly to acknowledge this city is one of the best, and most remarkable in Europe.

Last edited by ; 09-20-2015 at 05:36 PM..

Old 09-20-2015, 07:19 PM

5,981 posts, read 13,121,497 times
1. Brisbane/Aukland to live in/experience

2. Nice/Valenica for a short visit.

3. Isreal - no.

Old 09-20-2015, 08:30 PM

680 posts, read 649,109 times
Not sure if the guy talking about Brisbane is serious? I mean you hear about Brisbane and how it's so great so if anything it might be slightly overrated from a weather standpoint and in other areas, I think Cape Town would be superior to Brisbane in terms of climate for warm weather at least. I don't see many Brisbane naysayers, it's actually the opposite.

Anyways, if I had to choose between the choices then I'd take Auckland. I think it has the one the best settings for a city with all the islands and rolling hills as well mountains in the general vicinity and not to forget the water color around all those topographical features. It could be sunnier but at least it isn't that nasty lowland tropical heat that is hard to escape from... Nice and Valencia are great but I'd probably take Auckland over them.

I'd take Auckland's location over Rio, I know go ahead and kill me for that. I figured all the positive press for Auckland would bring out lots of people hating on it.

Old 09-21-2015, 06:54 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,872,814 times
1 Brisbane (away from it all and warm all round climate)
2 Auckland
3 V alencia
4 Nice
5 Tel Aviv
6 Haifa

Old 11-08-2015, 03:45 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,346,611 times
Valencia just because Spain is my favorite country in the world. It would be my 4th choice to live in Spain though after 1) Madrid, 2) Malaga, 3) Barcelona. But I would take anywhere in Spain to live over any other city on earth. I love everything Spanish so it's not even worth it to type everything out.

Tel Aviv would be next. I visited summer 2014 and even with the whole hiding from rockets thing, I still loved the city. It has such a vibe to it that I've never experienced outside of Spain. Extremely friendly people. And probably the best beach I've ever been to.

Brisbane because it's Australia.

Nice is this low because I don't like the French language at all and am quite adverse to learning it. It's basically next in line since I speak Spanish, Italian, and understand a good amount of Portuguese. But I'm just very biased against France and French and don't really care what people think about my opinion lol. But I still like it over the other options.

Haifa would be next. Not as fun as Tel Aviv but with all the danger.

Auckland would have to be last just because it's way too isolated for me. At least Brisbane is actually in Australia and closer to other Australian things. NZ seems like a very isolated place to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World