U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which Chinese cities/regions have you visited or lived in?
(none) 18 52.94%
Beijing 12 35.29%
Shanghai 12 35.29%
Hong Kong 11 32.35%
Macau 5 14.71%
Tianjin 2 5.88%
Shenzhen 8 23.53%
Guangzhou 8 23.53%
Guilin/Yangshuo/Nanning (Guangxi) 2 5.88%
Lhasa (Tibet) 0 0%
Urumqi/Xinjiang 1 2.94%
Xiamen (Fujian) 0 0%
Suzhou 3 8.82%
Nanjing 4 11.76%
Hangzhou (Zhejiang) 4 11.76%
Qingdao (Shandong) 2 5.88%
Chonqing 3 8.82%
Chengdu/Sichuan 2 5.88%
Xi'an 6 17.65%
Dalian/Shenyang (Liaoning) 2 5.88%
Harbin (Heilongjiang) 1 2.94%
Kunming (Yunnan) 2 5.88%
Haikou/Sanya (Hainan) 2 5.88%
Wuhan (or nearby Changsha) 2 5.88%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2015, 11:05 AM

4,575 posts, read 2,337,249 times

Advertisements

I think Zhengzhou should be on the list as well. Anyway, of this list.

1. Beijing
2. Shanghai
3. Nanjing
4. Hangzhou
5. Suzhou, but I didn't see it until after I voted.
5. Sanya
6. Liaoning

We may go to China later this year to Lhasa via train from Xian. My wife would really like to go to Chengdu as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2015, 12:40 PM

7,668 posts, read 3,911,410 times
Zero.

Old 05-18-2015, 03:24 PM

788 posts, read 1,541,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattks View Post
I think Zhengzhou should be on the list as well. Anyway, of this list.

1. Beijing
2. Shanghai
3. Nanjing
4. Hangzhou
5. Suzhou, but I didn't see it until after I voted.
5. Sanya
6. Liaoning

We may go to China later this year to Lhasa via train from Xian. My wife would really like to go to Chengdu as well.
Zhengzhou is largely insignificant in larger China. I considered adding it under a separate Zhengzhou/ShijiaZhuang option (like Changsha/Wuhan), but there were already too many options.

How was Zhengzhou? Worth visiting?

Old 05-20-2015, 02:53 PM

30,428 posts, read 31,355,472 times
The main place I stayed in both times is not on your list and that is Jinan, the capital of Shandong Province. I have also been to Beijing, Shanghai, Xi'an, Nanjing, Qingdao, Qufu, Kaifeng, Shenzhen and Hong Kong.

Old 05-20-2015, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
The main place I stayed in both times is not on your list and that is Jinan, the capital of Shandong Province. I have also been to Beijing, Shanghai, Xi'an, Nanjing, Qingdao, Qufu, Kaifeng, Shenzhen and Hong Kong.
I've only had the pleasure of getting stuck in Jinan, which is a surprisingly huge city. Most people also don't realize that Shandong province is the 2nd largest in terms of population. The only recognizable city is typically Qingdao, which I love for its pseudo German architecture. It is probably one of the few smaller cities in China that truly has a distinct identity and sense of place.

Unfortunately, most traditional neighborhoods are destroyed all across China and most cities look the same. I was really disappointed upon visiting Hainan, the "Hawaii of China" when I realize it just looks like a dirty, standard Chinese city on the beach and it a more tropical setting. Really not special at all.

Qingdao is special though.

Old 05-20-2015, 05:34 PM

863 posts, read 789,793 times
Been to Hong Kong, Shenzhen and Guangzhou. There is also one 3rd tier city called Huizhou which I also been to.

Old 05-21-2015, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdhkshdcny09 View Post
I've only had the pleasure of getting stuck in Jinan, which is a surprisingly huge city. Most people also don't realize that Shandong province is the 2nd largest in terms of population. The only recognizable city is typically Qingdao, which I love for its pseudo German architecture. It is probably one of the few smaller cities in China that truly has a distinct identity and sense of place.

Unfortunately, most traditional neighborhoods are destroyed all across China and most cities look the same. I was really disappointed upon visiting Hainan, the "Hawaii of China" when I realize it just looks like a dirty, standard Chinese city on the beach and it a more tropical setting. Really not special at all.

Qingdao is special though.
What is special about Jinan are all of its 72 springs (of cold water). There are canals in the center of the city and a large lake on which one can take boat rides besides the different parks centered around the city's springs. Jinan is the capital of the province whereas Qingdao is the commercial center and a resort town.

Old 05-21-2015, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
What is special about Jinan are all of its 72 springs (of cold water). There are canals in the center of the city and a large lake on which one can take boat rides besides the different parks centered around the city's springs. Jinan is the capital of the province whereas Qingdao is the commercial center and a resort town.
Yeah I've read about that, but it's not really something that makes it stand out.

I suppose I was/am uninterested because the springs are the only unique natural feature, while there aren't any unique manmade features. It's like Minnesota in the states or "Land of Lakes". Yeah, they have that one distinct natural feature, but it's definitely not on anyone's radar as a tourist to the US.

Suzhou has better canals and Hangzhou/Kunming has a better lake. Is there anything that speaks to a unique built environment or culture? I left the train station briefly, but it looked like a standard Chinese city.

Old 05-21-2015, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdhkshdcny09 View Post
Yeah I've read about that, but it's not really something that makes it stand out.

I suppose I was/am uninterested because the springs are the only unique natural feature, while there aren't any unique manmade features. It's like Minnesota in the states or "Land of Lakes". Yeah, they have that one distinct natural feature, but it's definitely not on anyone's radar as a tourist to the US.

Suzhou has better canals and Hangzhou/Kunming has a better lake. Is there anything that speaks to a unique built environment or culture? I left the train station briefly, but it looked like a standard Chinese city.
I have not been to Suzhou or Hangzhou/Kumming so I can't compare. What I can say about Jinan is the people are very friendly and the Shandong Cuisine is very good. Also Jinan is the only stop on the express high speed train between Beijing and Shanghai and is at a junction with a high speed train going between Qingdao and Kaifeng (which I have both been to).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or