Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-28-2015, 03:55 PM

155 posts, read 165,507 times

Advertisements

In your opinion which one would be most beneficial to learn for people that work in the financial sector?

Which one is more required by companies for people working outside Mainland or Germany?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2015, 05:29 PM

9,229 posts, read 9,758,341 times
Where do you live?

In Europe, German is much more useful than Chinese. In East Asia it is the opposite.

Some things to consider:
(1) Very few people can really read and write Chinese fluently after years of studying it as a second language. Speaking is easier.
(2) All educated Germans can speak English.

Old 05-28-2015, 05:36 PM

1,600 posts, read 1,889,067 times
It mostly depends on which country you choose since at the financial level both people usually speak fluent English.
So, if you have deep connections with Chinese businessmen it might be beneficial (not in my opinion but I'm obviously speaking from a completely facts-less point of view), and vice versa with German.

Old 05-28-2015, 06:14 PM

338 posts, read 335,122 times
Mandarin in a way, most Germans speak English, many Chinese businessmen do too but the culture of "face" in Asia means being able to quote doggerel like those 4 word idioms that are thrown around will be sure to make you their favoritest white/black person they've met.

Old 05-29-2015, 02:10 AM

4,491 posts, read 6,344,759 times
I was recently looking into jobs in Hong Kong. Mostly at big banks like HSBC. You'll have to speak/write in Mandarin/Putonghua for most jobs. Some job descriptions just said that speaking the language would be beneficial.

Speaking German is also a must when you plan to work in Germany. Most job descriptions are only available in German and even the English ones usually say that excellent German and English communication skills are required (eg Deutsche Bank).

Same in Austria. Even the international banks require you to speak both English and German. Additional languages (especially Eastern European ones) are a huge advantage.

The same is basically true for Switzerland. French might be an additional requirement for some positions.

If you are planning to work in the US and just want something for your CV, I'd say it doesn't really matter which language you learn.

Old 05-29-2015, 09:13 AM

1,987 posts, read 2,110,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by viribusunitis View Post

If you are planning to work in the US and just want something for your CV, I'd say it doesn't really matter which language you learn.
Totally disagree there. I speak (native) American English, (near-native) French, and (university) German and Spanish. But Spanish and Mandarin are much better assets in the US than either French or German. French and German are marvelous languages, but they aren't practical here in any general terms. I've even met American employees from the big US offices of German firms such as Lufthansa, and few of these folks speak any German at all. I've been in German language classes here in NY with many such American employees, and most are there out of curiosity for the language and not because of any recommendation from the German firm (which would be unusual outside Germany and Austria.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World