U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2015, 07:22 PM

152 posts, read 117,423 times

Advertisements

Would you consider living in the Paraíba Valley(Vale do Paraíba - NOTE: THIS REGION IS NOT RELATED TO THE PARAÍBA STATE) in Brazil?

The Paraíba Valley is located in the eastern part of the state of São Paulo(not the city, the state).

This is the State of São Paulo:

This is the Paraíba Valley:

It has a population of aproximately 3.5 million people, São José dos Campos is the biggest city with aprox. 700 thousand people.

It is one of the most developed places in Brazil, with a really big number of industries that produce pretty much everything(from chocolate to planes), HDI is on average 0.810(considered very high for the UN, comparable to some of the US states.)

Climate is known as "highland tropical" or subtropical depending on the source, with hot summers(never higher than 35°C/95°F) and cold winters(never colder than 0°C/32°F - just remembering Brazilian houses don't have heating systems).

Most cities are around 1 hour away from good beaches(cities of Ubatuba and Caraguatatuba) by car. They are also on average 1 hour away by car from a mountain city called Campos do Jordão, which has a colder climate. If you need an international flight or something you're 1.5 - 3 hours away from São Paulo and 2.5 - 5 hours away from Rio.

This region has campi of some of the best universities in Brazil(which happen to be for free!) and most cities have at least one good mall, restaurants(mostly influenced by the Italian and Portuguese immigration in the 19th and 20th centuries) and nightlife places.

So... Would you consider moving to this place by any condition?
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2015, 01:13 PM

2,545 posts, read 4,446,787 times
Many people from my state (Ceará) live there because they are engineering students at the ITA, the Aeronautics Technology Institute, the top Brazilian university of Engineering, sometimes refered as "the Brazilian MIT". One third of the students currently in ITA are from Ceará.

The region is so developed because of the ITA, and because of Embraer, the third largest airplane making company in the world, after Boeing and Airbus. And Embraer is located in São José dos Campos exactly because ITA was there before and has an Aerospace Engineering school, providing aerospace engineers to the company.

There are some auto makers in the region too, like the General Motors factory.

The headquarters of the Brazilian Space Program (that is a relatively small program) is also located in São José dos Campos.

Last edited by MalaMan; 05-22-2015 at 01:21 PM..

Old 05-22-2015, 07:53 PM

152 posts, read 117,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Takedown View Post
40 or 50 students of Ceara in ITA per year? OMG very representative, many people...
Was that irony? I gotta laugh at you. It's maybe the hardest "university" in the world to get in and there are few spots. 40 or 50 means the majority is from Ceará.

Old 05-23-2015, 10:03 AM

1,484 posts, read 1,648,866 times
Yes‚ for sure. The quality of life in that place is excellent.
I regred only that Campos do Jordão has no snow flurries since many decades...

Old 05-23-2015, 10:04 AM

85 posts, read 91,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phelven View Post
Would you consider living in the Paraíba Valley in Brazil?
Yes, I would.

Old 05-23-2015, 10:15 AM

42,668 posts, read 71,613,725 times
Quote:

So... Would you consider moving to this place by any condition?
I cannot think of anyplace on earth I wold not consider moving to under any condition. But there are a few places, like Switzerland, that might try my patience. Paraiba Valley sounds like it might be one of them.

Old 05-24-2015, 02:41 PM

9,675 posts, read 10,997,128 times
I'd consider living there under the right circumstances

Old 05-25-2015, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takedown View Post
40 or 50 students of Ceara in ITA per year? OMG very representative, many people...

Yes, very representative, when you consider that Ceara has only 4% of the population of Brazil, but has over 30% of the students currently in ITA, the hardest university in Brazil to get in.

The admittance exams of ITA are the hardest in Brazil, and a poor state with only 4% of the country's population always have over 30% of the students who are admitted every year.

How do you explain that?

We could discuss the fact that Ceará is by far the state that gets more gold, silver and bronze medals per capita in the knowledge olympiads in Brazil, such as the Math Olympiad, Physics Olympiad, Chemistry Olympiad, but that's a bit off topic...

Old 05-25-2015, 07:07 AM

In fact, it's a pity that most foreign investors who think about starting business in Brazil have no idea about the statistics regarding Ceará students that I mentioned above...

If I was a foreign investor thinking in opening business in Brazil, and I knew about those little known statistics regarding Ceará students, I wouldn't think twice before choosing Ceará to be home of my business, a land where I would get the best workforce for the lowest cost.

Old 05-26-2015, 10:58 AM

1,237 posts, read 924,645 times
Quote:

The Paraíba Valley is located in the eastern part of the state of São Paulo(not the city, the state).

This is the Paraíba Valley:

Nope. The Paraíba Valley is located between Serra da Mantiqueira and Serra do Mar. Runs parallel to the sea by the states of São Paulo and Rio de Janeiro. The map posted previously isn't correct. Here is the Paraíba Valley:

Last edited by Mr.Falcon; 05-26-2015 at 11:10 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or