U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2015, 07:15 AM

14,022 posts, read 16,478,517 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
It doesn't really vary that much. Except for a few notoriously high-priced areas, a modest apartment in a safe neighborhood can be rented within a pretty narrow range of prices, probably within about $100 of a median. Everything else is even more uniform than that. Very little difference in the price of groceries, or eating out, or furniture/appliances. A certain car will sell for the same price anywhere, give or take a few dollars. Heating will offset cooling, depending on location, but you'll still pay for one or the other. I moved from northern Michigan to south Texas, and I did not face a single cost of living item that was significantly different enough for me to notice, and I'm living on almost exactly the same budget.

Seniors on SS get the same everywhere, and it covers the same costs everywhere, pretty equally. Except for a few notoriously high-priced areas, which I will repeat to make sure you see it before you reply, and nobody is obliged to live in one of them.

Since every other country on earth has similarly varied costs of living, it not unfair to compare a median for basic needs in one country with a median for basic needs in another, so in fact, it does not remain to be clarified what I mean by the cost of living in the USA or anywhere else.
Well, it did absolutely remain to be clarified what you meant, and whether you realize it or not, the above post did in fact clarify it. You have chosen to just ignore the cost of living in the major metro areas where millions and millions of people live in order to assume that "cost of living in the USA" means the cost of living that you experience personally. There is nothing wrong with your choice now that we understand what that choice is. But the unstated assumption leads to confusion until it is actually stated as you did above.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2015, 02:27 AM

3,713 posts, read 1,774,261 times
I have lived and worked in foreign countries before. Some very nice, some not so nice. You should never consider a place without first going there and staying for several months so you can sample the local customs and lifestyle.

I think many naively assume after they have spent most of their life in one or two places in the US that some foreign destination must be better - you do not want to find out the hard way that you are a fish out of water.

Old 05-28-2015, 06:34 AM

Well, it's been six days since this thread was created but the OP has not returned to comment. The discussion is still valid, of course, with or without the OP, but I am always curious in these cases what the OP's motivation was in starting the thread.

Old 05-28-2015, 06:41 AM

2,943 posts, read 10,864,393 times
^^^
ERider, this thread first popped up in the Real Estate forum, which is where I answered it. It was soon afterward moved to the World Forum.

The OP only has one post on City Data, this one. I'm sure they have no idea where their thread went after it got moved and probably don't care. They're long gone. Drive-by posters I like to call them.

Now we're only left to fight amongst ourselves.

Old 05-29-2015, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azoria View Post
^^^
ERider, this thread first popped up in the Real Estate forum, which is where I answered it. It was soon afterward moved to the World Forum.

The OP only has one post on City Data, this one. I'm sure they have no idea where their thread went after it got moved and probably don't care. They're long gone. Drive-by posters I like to call them.

Now we're only left to fight amongst ourselves.
Thanks for that clarification. Yes, I think it's justified to be suspicious of first-time posts. And yes again, I do realize all of us, at one time, made our first-time post on City-Data.

Old 05-29-2015, 08:52 AM

971 posts, read 1,104,543 times
"Seniors on SS get the same everywhere"

jtur88 made this statement which I don't believe to be true. Would there be a more knowledgable person here that can clairfy? I had posted previouslt on another thread that my dad had taken his SS at 62 and received $890 per month and collected for two years and died. My mom then collected 1/2 what of what my dad was receiving. These are facts as I was doing my moms books for several years as she was in a nurseing home. A nice person took the time to PM me that my mom should have been getting the same as my dad was. That got me to thinking that possibly all states may be operating their SS programs in different fashions. After my paying into SS for 39 years, my benefits were $68 a month and like my dad I started mine when I was 62 years old. Now after collecting for 20 years, I am receiving $189 per month. Of course the SS is taking $108 out for Medicare, so my total is $297 per month that I am paying tax on each year. From what info I can gather from the blog sites, I was "means tested".

Thanks in advance for any clairfication.
Bluff

Old 05-29-2015, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluff_Dweller View Post
"Seniors on SS get the same everywhere"

jtur88 made this statement which I don't believe to be true. Would there be a more knowledgable person here that can clairfy? I had posted previouslt on another thread that my dad had taken his SS at 62 and received $890 per month and collected for two years and died. My mom then collected 1/2 what of what my dad was receiving. These are facts as I was doing my moms books for several years as she was in a nurseing home. A nice person took the time to PM me that my mom should have been getting the same as my dad was. That got me to thinking that possibly all states may be operating their SS programs in different fashions. After my paying into SS for 39 years, my benefits were $68 a month and like my dad I started mine when I was 62 years old. Now after collecting for 20 years, I am receiving $189 per month. Of course the SS is taking $108 out for Medicare, so my total is $297 per month that I am paying tax on each year. From what info I can gather from the blog sites, I was "means tested".

Thanks in advance for any clairfication.
Bluff
Jtur88 correctly stated that Social Security is a federal program. The individual states have nothing to do with it. The formulas for computing the retirement benefits, the rules concerning spousal benefits, and all sorts of other rules, apply to us no matter where we live. The "nice person" who told you your mom should have been receiving more may have been mistaken, or Social Security may have made a mistake (less likely), but in any case it had nothing to do with the state in which your mom lived.

I believe Jtur88's point was that variations in the cost of living across the United States do not affect the amount of Social Security benefit payments. If a retiree happens to live in a high cost of living location such as New York City, for example, where the SS payment will not go nearly as far, well that retiree can either move or just be out of luck if the SS income is a major portion of the total income.

You may be thinking about Medicaid (not Medicare) which is run by the states.

Old 05-29-2015, 04:10 PM

Thank you for your reply ERider.

One thing I might mention to the OP and others that might leave the US to work in a foreign country is the fact if you maintain your US citizenship, you will be required to pay income tax to the US as well as the tax necessary to the foreign country. Double taxation. This could eliminate a lower cost of living the OP is seeking. Also the price of giving up your citizenship has reported to be increasing in price.

So I was "means tested" by the Feds. Interesting!!

Old 05-29-2015, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluff_Dweller View Post
Thank you for your reply ERider.

So I was "means tested" by the Feds. Interesting!!
I may be missing something, but I don't see how you are being "means tested" in relation to your Social Security benefit. If we are over 65 (meaning we are enrolled in Medicare), the monthly Medicare Part B premium is deducted from our SS monthly benefit, just as you described. That's true for everybody.

And by the way, the maximum percentage of SS benefits subject to federal income tax is 85%. So you are only paying tax on 85% of the $297, or $252, at the most. At the least, you aren't paying any tax on it, as it depends on how much other income you have. Or is that what you mean by "means-tested"? O.K., I agree if that's the case. Yes, paying income tax on Social Security means we have been "means tested".

Old 05-29-2015, 09:28 PM

Entitlement/promises
If means-testing is implemented in an existing program, particularly for which people have paid taxes but not benefited, as in pensions or medical insurance, the reduction in benefits can be seen as a breach of promise and entitlement of the program.

As you are probably aware there are many types of means-testing. This was the one that I thought pertained to me. After 40 years of SS being held from my wages,(according to the printout SS sent, 39 years as one employer declared bankrupsy and apparently paid on none of their employees) I was suprised when I was told my monthly benefits would be $68 per month which began May 1997. At that time the maximum I was told was $1550 a month. The max now seems to be $1050 per month. Now after collecting for 18 years my benefits are $189 + medicare paid. While I agree that in the early years I was only paid $1 to $2 per hour up as far as 1959 but did go up later. So I figured since I had a pension, I didn't receive my normal percentage of SS. Having had the state rip me off a few times, I thought the state did it again with the SS.

Thank you again for the information!!

P.S. I apoligize for the lack of spacing, tried it twice, didn't work. My laptop gets a little wackie at times. Also sorry this message isn't about cost of living.

Last edited by Bluff_Dweller; 05-29-2015 at 09:48 PM.. Reason: Typo's
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or