Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2015, 04:54 AM

349 posts, read 488,414 times

Advertisements

Here in Melbourne, Australia:

Hospitals, obviously, and police stations. I figure this is the case in most countries. In Japan though bizarrely a lot of hospitals close on weekends, I've heard. Some emergency clinics too. The odd pharmacy/chemist/drug-store too.

A lot of fast food places like McDonald's, Hungry Jack's/Burger King, a few KFCs and Subways even. 24 hour McDonald's became the norm probably from about 10-15 years ago, though a lot are still drive-through only past about 12-1am. Some, especially in the CBD, have a 24 hour area dining area.

A lot of non-chain fast food places that sell things like pizzas, kebabs. A few Asian places in the CBD. I don't know of any 24/7 Pizza Hut or Dominoes though come to think of it.

We have a few 24 hour supermarkets, like Coles or Woolworths.

A few 24 hour K-Mart's, which are like a budget department store.

Most petrol/service stations are open 24 hours a day here. The ones that aren't tend to be the more independently owned ones, or the ones in the country/away from the big city.

Convenience stores like 7-11, especially in the inner city, but not all of them. Some might close at say 11pm or 1-2am.

That's pretty much it, I think.

For the most part, a typical working week is about 9am-5pm Monday to Friday for office type jobs, but increasingly hours have become more flexible.

Retail hours vary, but 8am to 5:30 to 11pm is typical of usual retail outlets. In a lot of shopping centres a lot of supermarkets or department stores, or certain other stores, may close later than most of the other shops. In the CBD, most shops tend to close between about 6-9pm these days. The smaller ones tend to close earlier. In Australia it varies by state, but there's a trend towards increasing liberalisation of trading hours.

Restaurants tend to open for lunch and dinner, or only dinner. Cafes usually breakfast and lunch. They often open later on weekends.

A lot of pubs/bars will typically close around midnight due to liquor licensing laws.

Most nightclubs/lounges/live music venues/and certain pubs/hotels will open until 3-5am.

Museums, art galleries, zoos, gated parks, cemeteries, a lot of tourist attractions, typically open 8-9am to 5pm.

That's mostly it, I think.

Last edited by GeoGeeks; 05-24-2015 at 05:20 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2015, 05:58 AM

8,863 posts, read 8,434,218 times
24/7:
All sorts of convenience stores, there are gazillions of them in literally every corner, sells awful food and drinks and coffee and shampoo and condoms and cigarettes and liquor and ****.

McDonald's

Some bookstores(Eslite?)

Emergency room I suppose

Others:
Idk, they're open when I'm awake, never paid attention to their opening hours.

Old 05-24-2015, 07:55 AM

10,639 posts, read 16,017,724 times
Pretty much everything not alcohol-related is closed between 11 and 7 in the Netherlands

Coffeeshops can't open their doors between 2 and 7.

McDonald's restaurans are open until midnight, McDrive's are open until 2.
Other fast food restaurants like KFC, Burger King, Subway and Domino's all close at midnight and are mostly located in area's where you have to pay for parking

We don't have 7/11's All convenience stores close at 10 or earlier.

One of the reasons why i want to leave Europe.

Old 05-24-2015, 08:02 AM

It's not like 7-11 is some particularly exciting place. It's just a store that sells stuff.

Old 05-24-2015, 08:11 AM

Oh it just occurred to me that there's a 24-hour library in Taipei, lol. I guess homeless people in Taipei has another place to stay overnight.

Oh and karaoke places(how do you call them in English?), where gangs shoot/stab strangers/each other. Ew.

Old 05-24-2015, 08:13 AM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,888,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
Pretty much everything not alcohol-related is closed between 11 and 7 in the Netherlands

Other fast food restaurants like KFC, Burger King, Subway and Domino's all close at midnight and are mostly located in area's where you have to pay for parking

Really?
We have those and I never go in them.

Old 05-24-2015, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
[/b]

Really?
We have those and I never go in them.

Apparently in Europe, only Denmark, Sweden, and Norway have those.

Old 05-24-2015, 08:18 AM

1,446 posts, read 1,954,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post

That's surprising, we have 192 7/11 stores here.

McDonald's open from 07:00 to 23:00, but on Fridays and Saturdays it's open until 03:00 (the ones with no drive throughs). The ones with drive throughs close at midnight, for some odd reason .

Old 05-24-2015, 08:19 AM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,888,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post

Interesting, if they all went out of business I wouldn't care.

Old 05-24-2015, 08:22 AM

7,668 posts, read 5,257,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post

Yeah and they aren't the same as the American ones..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World