Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2015, 09:58 AM

8,256 posts, read 17,346,611 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
I have read about Monterrey before, i just said i never hear other people (News reporters/Tourists) talk about the place.
I see you live in The Netherlands. It's probably like Rotterdam/Amsterdam. Mexico City is the capital and Cancun, Cabo, Acapulco, etc. get a lot of tourism. However, Monterrey is extremely important to the country. Similar with The Netherlands, if you ask an American to name a city besides Amsterdam in the country, most have probably never heard of Rotterdam even though it's the second largest city there. For that matter, I bet a lot don't even know Amsterdam is in The Netherlands
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2015, 03:16 PM

10,645 posts, read 16,030,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
I see you live in The Netherlands. It's probably like Rotterdam/Amsterdam. Mexico City is the capital and Cancun, Cabo, Acapulco, etc. get a lot of tourism. However, Monterrey is extremely important to the country. Similar with The Netherlands, if you ask an American to name a city besides Amsterdam in the country, most have probably never heard of Rotterdam even though it's the second largest city there. For that matter, I bet a lot don't even know Amsterdam is in The Netherlands
We all know Americans are great at entertaining and playing sports with their hands but score below average at topography. Not hating, just saying Americans shouldn't be seen as the standard on this topic.

Old 06-30-2015, 03:23 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,346,611 times
Quote:
We all know Americans are great at entertaining and playing sports with their hands but score below average at topography. Not hating, just saying Americans shouldn't be seen as the standard on this topic.
You're 100% right haha

Old 06-30-2015, 04:38 PM

827 posts, read 865,676 times
In Brazil:
1. São Paulo
2. Rio de Janeiro
3. Brasília
No doubt about it.

Old 06-30-2015, 05:09 PM

10,645 posts, read 16,030,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EduardoFinatto View Post
In Brazil:
3. Brasília
No doubt about it.
I think there are more people in the world (at least outside SA) that know or heard about Salvador/Fortaleza/Natal/Recife and maybe Belo Horizonte/Curitiba/Florianopolis/Porto Alegre

Old 06-30-2015, 10:27 PM

8,864 posts, read 8,444,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
HNNGGGGGH! Despite Oulu being technically slightly larger in population now when it's 9 times bigger, Turku is not only the third, but the second city of Finland. After all, it is the former capital, the oldest city of Finland, has the oldest university, the religious capital, and culturally the "second city". Not to mention that Turku is pretty much the "cradle of Western Christian civilisation" in this country. Oulu is some technological newbie far away from everything else and largely some obscure suburbia.

For Finland the correct list is Helsinki - Turku - Tampere.
I thought the second largest was Espoo. I know that cause that name is just too funny rofl. Es-booooooooooooo.

Old 07-02-2015, 06:36 AM

3,216 posts, read 2,385,502 times
And here comes the three greatest metropolis of Estonia:

Londi -huge cultural centre with vibrant nightlife

Metsiku ...you must see it!

And finally, Tõdu -fantastic, totally wild, unpredictable.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Londi
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metsiku
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T%C3%B5du

Old 07-03-2015, 11:37 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,804,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
I thought the second largest was Espoo. I know that cause that name is just too funny rofl. Es-booooooooooooo.
It is, but it's merely a satellite of Helsinki (or at least was just 15 years ago). In 1950 it had like 15k inhabitants, so it's hardly a "great" city. The richest city, sure, but not great. It doesn't even have a single city centre.

Old 07-03-2015, 01:38 PM

1,736 posts, read 2,526,999 times
For Brazil, the two largest both in GDP and population are São Paulo and Rio; the third is Brasília in terms of GDP and Salvador in terms of population. And in area, the greatest municipality is Altamira.

Old 07-03-2015, 04:54 PM

9,049 posts, read 3,522,852 times
Quote:
Gee the Americans cop it around here don't they (usually unfairly). But this is the first time I've seen criticism of their apparent below average knowledge on the shape and surface features of land masses. I'd never realised understanding contours was a particular challenge they faced.

Can you point us to a reference that confirms this below average scoring in this area?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World