Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2015, 08:11 PM

3,282 posts, read 3,792,630 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salvatore Marciano View Post
Why do Christian Infidels have to convert to Islam in order to marry a Muslim if we are all more culturally alike than not like you claim. If we are all culturally the same than why do Infidels have to give up their religion in order to marry a Muslim? Why can't Christians and Muslims live under the same roof and raise a family together?
Infidel? Good lord.

Why can't people do as they please? If that makes them happy, what do you care?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2015, 09:55 PM

349 posts, read 488,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salvatore Marciano View Post
Why do Christian Infidels have to convert to Islam in order to marry a Muslim if we are all more culturally alike than not like you claim. If we are all culturally the same than why do Infidels have to give up their religion in order to marry a Muslim? Why can't Christians and Muslims live under the same roof and raise a family together?
Any inter-faith marriage can be problematic. Depends a lot on the two involved. I'd say any serious Christian, Muslim or Jew will invariably have issues if they marry outside their faith. The question of what to 'teach' their children comes up. Personally I think children shouldn't be indoctrinated, just educated as impartially as possible, but obviously in practice people will want to teach their children that, especially if they fear their God will punish them forever in the afterlife if they don't.

Old 06-07-2015, 09:34 AM

1,600 posts, read 1,888,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosa surf View Post
Infidel? Good lord.

Why can't people do as they please? If that makes them happy, what do you care?
It's nice to ignore that if a Muslim converts to Christianity for the sake of his lovers he could be killed according to the hadith, apostasy you know?

Old 06-07-2015, 12:04 PM

3,282 posts, read 3,792,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xander.XVII View Post
It's nice to ignore that if a Muslim converts to Christianity for the sake of his lovers he could be killed according to the hadith, apostasy you know?
I don't ignore things, I just don't believe in dictating to other people who they should be and how they should live their lives.

I grew up strict Catholic and left it a while ago- I hated it even as a child in Catholic school.

I prefer to befriend people who don't really talk about their religion.

Old 06-07-2015, 04:52 PM

1,600 posts, read 1,888,482 times
Quote:
I don't ignore things, I just don't believe in dictating to other people who they should be and how they should live their lives.

I grew up strict Catholic and left it a while ago- I hated it even as a child in Catholic school.

I prefer to befriend people who don't really talk about their religion.
That applies to me as well, it's an unfortunate reality that most Muslims, while very very often very good people, tend to be very religious.
It's not a case that there are almost no converted people or atheist among them and no, it's not because of a spontaneous choice.

Old 06-11-2015, 05:17 AM

1,212 posts, read 1,433,884 times
It depends. In USA people are considered from different etnicities even being born in the same city, studying in the same school, working in the same place, etc This is obviously more than an exaggeration.
But I think there are real cultural differences between someone from Switzerland and Namibia.

Old 06-11-2015, 08:20 AM

12,386 posts, read 8,146,609 times
Quote:
I have a Muslim friend from Jordan who married a Chilean woman. She converted for him.
They are one of the happiest couples I have ever met. She was not super religious, but this guy is a very educated, centered man, so she was willing to do this for him.
I have quite a few Muslim friends and I find them to be very peaceful, centered people.
The original post was close but not correct. For a Muslim woman the man would have to convert. For a Muslim man the woman would have to be a caste woman of The Book, meaning a self identified Christian or Jew living as if they believed in the Old Testament God.

The cultural statement is that the male can put more pressure on to lure the woman away from her faith thus the woman can't be with a man saying its okay to break the fast...or other Islamic things as life would be easier is she took on the non Muslim s lifestyle.

Old 06-11-2015, 11:08 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,801,188 times
Islam doesn't require conversion if the other half if of another religion and the couple agrees on worship in the family. The only one which is forbidden for a "good Muslim" is to marry an atheist.

Old 06-11-2015, 12:19 PM

93 posts, read 90,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoGeeks View Post
Any inter-faith marriage can be problematic. Depends a lot on the two involved. I'd say any serious Christian, Muslim or Jew will invariably have issues if they marry outside their faith. The question of what to 'teach' their children comes up. Personally I think children shouldn't be indoctrinated, just educated as impartially as possible, but obviously in practice people will want to teach their children that, especially if they fear their God will punish them forever in the afterlife if they don't.
Quote:
Any inter-faith marriage can be problematic.
If we are all culturally the same like you Liberals claim, than no interfaith marriages are not problematic because a Irish Catholic and a Somali Muslim are 100 percent culturally alike. They are cultural cousins. There is absolutely zero percent cultural differences between a Somali Muslim and an Irish Catholic. That is why if a Somali Muslim moves to Ireland he or she will culturally fit in like a puzzle.

Old 06-11-2015, 12:23 PM

93 posts, read 90,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Falcon View Post
It depends. In USA people are considered from different etnicities even being born in the same city, studying in the same school, working in the same place, etc This is obviously more than an exaggeration.
But I think there are real cultural differences between someone from Switzerland and Namibia.
Quote:
You racist, there are zero cultural differences between people from Switzerland and people from Namibia. Sub Saharan Africans and Europeans are cultural cousins. There are absolutely zero cultural practices/tribal practices and believes in Sub Saharan Africa that would be considered strange/weird in Europe.

Europeans do not find it weird at all that many Sub Saharan Africans believe that Albinos for example are spawns of the devil. The common practice of female genital mutilation in Sub Saharan Africa is not seen as culturally alien at all to Europeans.

Last edited by Salvatore Marciano; 06-11-2015 at 12:31 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World