Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2015, 01:40 AM

2,661 posts, read 5,470,737 times

Advertisements

Yes would have to agree that Boston is the most Irish city outside of Ireland and the US has been the most influential country as far as Ireland with St Patrick's Day and Halloween been spread around the world.

And as they say in the west of Ireland "the next parish is Boston".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2015, 07:54 AM

4,449 posts, read 4,617,606 times
Re: 'And as they say in the west of Ireland "the next parish is Boston"'

Yes , I think it's popularity boomed after Lexington and Concord...;-)...

Something to be said for those Irish who came before the bustup with Britain. I read they had a tough time getting settled in Concord since the early local government didn't take too highly of their coming. But they were obstinate and held on.

A great character trait I'd say in those tumultuous days. So when it came to America the Irish participated in and did see success in dumping the British yoke.

Old 06-12-2015, 08:21 AM

7,668 posts, read 5,259,670 times
Hmmm, never been to Boston but can't really truly imagining it being anything like Ireland.

Old 06-12-2015, 08:49 AM

10,635 posts, read 16,701,596 times
I definitely agree that St. John's is the most Irish city outside of Ireland. I've been to both Boston and St. John's and St. John's beats Boston hands down for Irishness. St.John's felt very Irish to me from the local dialect of the locals to some of the buildings in the downtown area. Newfoundland is one of the few places in the world outside of Ireland that were primarily Irish speaking and even has its own name in the Irish language "Talamh an Éisc" which means land of fish.
Just google Irish language in Newfoundland to see for yourself.

Old 06-12-2015, 03:18 PM

1,150 posts, read 1,107,478 times
Kilburn and Islington in London WAS very Irish, I remember going to the Copenhagen pub before an Arsenal game and the Irish and English merged ( basically drank the same, argued the same, swore the same, talked about Horse racing, they looked the same ( no blonds), were tough and generous with the rounds. I hate seeing US wannabee Irish Americans ( never been there) slagging off English/Irish relations ( which are mind boggling). Modern Brits and Irish, most get on fine. Stick to being friends with Canada

Old 06-12-2015, 03:24 PM

1,150 posts, read 1,107,478 times
Pogue mahone!

Old 06-12-2015, 07:18 PM

349 posts, read 488,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sickandtiredofthis View Post
Its not anglo protestants but ulster scots. I don't know if I like the Irish backpackers, very embaressing drinking and making idiots of themselves. They probably couldn't spot me though as I don't walk around in those revolting GAA shirts.
By Anglo Protestants I mean the English, Scottish, Welsh and maybe some Ulster-Scots, which held most of the power in Australian society.

Old 06-12-2015, 07:20 PM

349 posts, read 488,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sickandtiredofthis View Post
Hmmm, never been to Boston but can't really truly imagining it being anything like Ireland.
I've been to Boston and yeah, of course it doesn't feel much like Ireland, it's still a very American city, but it's also different to most American cities, because it's very old by American standards. It's city core isn't laid out in the typical grid pattern, it has 'commons' gardens in the English style. It's layout and buildings, including rowhouses and some architecture from the 1700s and even 1600s is more reminiscent of Britain than most of the US.

Old 06-12-2015, 10:47 PM

984 posts, read 1,314,638 times
St.John's NFLD. by a long shot.

I think Boston has large sections that are Irish and certainly prides itself on it's Irish heritage but St.John's is the real thing. St.John's is more Irish than Canadian.

Old 06-13-2015, 05:20 AM

26,882 posts, read 38,026,310 times
Boston is the most Irish large US city but it is too diverse and big for that to permeate the city.

St John's!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World