U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2015, 09:08 PM

92 posts, read 104,719 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post

Sadly most US cities have no similarity to European cities, they are designed for car ownership. Don't get me started on that one.
Indeed, very sad... most of the US cities are not walkable and have poor public transportation, the opposite of most big cities in Europe, South America, Canada, Australia and Asia....
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2015, 09:24 PM

7,933 posts, read 4,387,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJX3000 View Post
Indeed, very sad... most of the US cities are not walkable and have poor public transportation, the opposite of most big cities in Europe, South America, Canada, Australia and Asia....
While this is true, NYC actually has higher transit share than many big cities in Europe.

And Boston, SF, Chicago, Philly and DC have pretty good transit share too.

Old 06-26-2015, 11:40 PM

11,403 posts, read 9,014,394 times
I've been to most major US cities and now live in Europe. Yes, I'd say Boston is probably the closest. I've never been to Philadelphia though. It gets compared to Boston a lot, and it's a colonial city with dense housing near the center so it might be more European than Boston.

Old 06-27-2015, 11:12 AM

42,478 posts, read 31,768,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
And Boston, SF, Chicago, Philly and DC have pretty good transit share too.
However, in many of them the city proper composes a small % of the metro population; European cities % are generally (but not always) higher. If you compare metro-wide all of those cities you listed would overlap with medium to large European cities with among the lowest transit ridership.

Old 06-27-2015, 11:14 AM

42,478 posts, read 31,768,864 times
Quote:
Yeah, I think Portland is the number 2, and it would be my second choice, but it rains a lot and it seems a little far from any big city.
Other than have street running rail through downtown, I don't see much resemblance to a European city at all. Portland is a newish, relatively low density city that has a pedestrian friendly city center, and not a particularly busy one.

Old 06-27-2015, 11:37 AM

778 posts, read 827,064 times
Quote:
I would like to know if Europeans think Boston has some kind of a European vibe. What do you guys think?
What is a European vibe? Europe is a continent, not a country, and thus has many different cultures. How can there be one vibe?

Old 06-27-2015, 02:36 PM

2,106 posts, read 3,168,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
I've been to most major US cities and now live in Europe. Yes, I'd say Boston is probably the closest. I've never been to Philadelphia though. It gets compared to Boston a lot, and it's a colonial city with dense housing near the center so it might be more European than Boston.
I don't think there's anything remotely European about Philadelphia. Some of its inner city neighborhoods are amazing (Society Hill, Rittenhouse Sq, etc.) and "old" and "colonial" but it's still quintessentially American.

Among big US cities, parts of Boston are the closest (North End) but IMO it's really not saying much.

Old 06-27-2015, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
However, in many of them the city proper composes a small % of the metro population; European cities % are generally (but not always) higher. If you compare metro-wide all of those cities you listed would overlap with medium to large European cities with among the lowest transit ridership.
Very true. I'm just saying that in all these cities, there's a sizable zone of transit-oriented living. It isn't exactly the same as in a Western European city, but if you're in (say) a Boston, DC or SF, a transit-oriented lifestyle similar to that of Munich or Lyon or wherever is at least doable.

Old 06-27-2015, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Other than have street running rail through downtown, I don't see much resemblance to a European city at all. Portland is a newish, relatively low density city that has a pedestrian friendly city center, and not a particularly busy one.
Portland, to me, actually looks very Midwestern in built form. The bungalow neighborhoods that dominate don't look unlike those you would see in the inner suburbs of Detroit or St. Louis.

Old 06-27-2015, 06:46 PM

6,141 posts, read 10,300,562 times
Quote:
Yeah, I think Portland is the number 2, and it would be my second choice, but it rains a lot and it seems a little far from any big city.

You are correct it rains a lot or it is cloudy on many days of the year. When its nice and sunny, it is just beautiful. It is rather isolated from other large cities. Seattle is the only one within 3 hours drive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World