U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2015, 06:53 AM

1,258 posts, read 1,168,174 times

Advertisements

I feel that parts of New England resemble Scandinavia, especially Norway. I've been all over western Europe and the only place that seemed similar was Norway. I don't believe any American City resembles any European city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2015, 06:55 AM

404 posts, read 161,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJX3000 View Post

For Europeans, do you think Boston is the most European city in America? I know it's still an American city and for some people it's impossible to compare.
It may look European somewhat but has none of typical European qualities - it's not safe, car traffic is crazy, too many high rise buildings which look "cool" by American standards but really ugly, no little cozy shops - everything comes from huge chain stores, property prices are crazy, unless you want to live in ghetto where people shoot each other on daily basis, and half Boston is ghetto.

And once you go outside of city proper especially south or north shore - it's nowhere near anything European - people are mostly "white trash" (very poor and mean) so it's even less safe, infrastructure sucks, roads are not maintained, traffic still nuts, housing is very old and build from crap and look utterly ugly.

Old 07-03-2015, 09:41 AM

7,933 posts, read 4,333,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by civis View Post
It may look European somewhat but has none of typical European qualities - it's not safe.
I would wager the overall crime rate in Boston is significantly below that of most major Western European cities.

And Boston barely has any "ghetto". It's probably among the least "ghetto" cities in the western world. Any random city in France or the UK has far more proportional ghetto.

Old 07-03-2015, 11:04 AM

1,258 posts, read 1,168,174 times
Quote:
It may look European somewhat but has none of typical European qualities - it's not safe, car traffic is crazy, too many high rise buildings which look "cool" by American standards but really ugly, no little cozy shops - everything comes from huge chain stores, property prices are crazy, unless you want to live in ghetto where people shoot each other on daily basis, and half Boston is ghetto.

And once you go outside of city proper especially south or north shore - it's nowhere near anything European - people are mostly "white trash" (very poor and mean) so it's even less safe, infrastructure sucks, roads are not maintained, traffic still nuts, housing is very old and build from crap and look utterly ugly.
Except for all of the rich people who live on the North Shore in Places like Marblehead and Rockport.
I like the look of Colonials, Cape Cods and Victorians. YMMV

Old 07-03-2015, 04:03 PM

42,267 posts, read 31,496,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
I would wager the overall crime rate in Boston is significantly below that of most major Western European cities.

And Boston barely has any "ghetto". It's probably among the least "ghetto" cities in the western world. Any random city in France or the UK has far more proportional ghetto.
Umm, theres no way that can be true. Boston has at least a third, maybe more that has a high violent crime rate, compared to almost any western European city.

Old 07-03-2015, 05:06 PM

56 posts, read 46,226 times
Quote:

Totally agree. Boston is nothing like a European city, and as mentioned by others, there is no city in the US that is. And I might add, even middle class and some wealthier people on the North and South Shore are trashy. Boston has a really "rough" vibe; not at all European (or what Americans associate with Europeans).

Old 07-03-2015, 10:43 PM

92 posts, read 102,656 times
Quote:

so if Boston is like that, I guess Los Angeles, NYC, DC and the rest are the same or worse....
there's really nothing left in this country!

Old 07-04-2015, 12:20 AM

14,508 posts, read 14,402,975 times
Quote:
so if Boston is like that, I guess Los Angeles, NYC, DC and the rest are the same or worse....
Well yeah its not Europe, i wouldn't expect any "European feel" in a non European country... lol.

Old 07-04-2015, 06:17 AM

5,206 posts, read 8,690,029 times
Quote:
In case you haven't already done it, maybe you should live in a European city for several years, enjoy its benefits but also realize its shortcomings, different from the shortcomings in US cities, but shortcomings nonetheless.

Then decide which shortcomings are more or less tolerable and, well, tolerate them.

Either way, don't be a complainer, it's useless.

Old 07-04-2015, 08:02 AM

10,930 posts, read 12,685,999 times
Oslo and Naples, both European cities, are so divergent that the entire premise of this thread is nonsense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World