U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-06-2015, 01:19 PM
 
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
7,706 posts, read 5,961,585 times
Reputation: 8275

Advertisements

OP, not really European, but nice for a tourist who appreciates what you do. There is a lot of Victorian archstecture in Back Bay on Commonwealth Avenue. All of Back Bay is nice: walk from the Boston Commons up Newbury Street to Arlingtron Street. Turn around and come back down Commonwealth Ave, Beacon Street, or Marlboro Street and then up Beacon Hall and down it to the area between Government Center, Faneuil Hall and the Harbor. That will keep you busy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-06-2015, 06:35 PM
 
379 posts, read 216,136 times
Reputation: 842
boston is sort of like a regional british city. there are brick row houses and concrete brutalist public buildings. funny accents, awful fashion sense and a lot of pubs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-06-2015, 07:53 PM
 
Location: Lakeland, Florida
6,177 posts, read 10,470,380 times
Reputation: 6585
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arne Bjornson View Post
boston is sort of like a regional british city. there are brick row houses and concrete brutalist public buildings. funny accents, awful fashion sense and a lot of pubs.

Some of that accent mainly the dropping of the R, originates from a certain region of England. I agree with you Boston is sort of like a regional British city, with some of the buildings and row houses. Though as I stated in an earlier post, it is mainly in its central core.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-07-2015, 03:55 AM
 
Location: Somewhere in Southern Italy
2,986 posts, read 1,475,987 times
Reputation: 1446
European cities are so different from each other, we are comparing cities from a country to cities from a continent which is made up by more than 50 countries, cities like Palermo, Helsinki, Makhachkhala and Vienna are all European despite being worlds apart between each other.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-07-2015, 05:57 AM
 
405 posts, read 175,883 times
Reputation: 485
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJX3000 View Post
so if Boston is like that, I guess Los Angeles, NYC, DC and the rest are the same or worse....
there's really nothing left in this country!
Yes, they more or less share same problems.
The problem with US is there's huge influx of poorly educated people in form of illegal immigration, which brings up crime rates and drug usage. At the same time the country is not doing much to integrate those people (and even those born in US but happen to be black) into the society and provide decent life quality for all, not just those top 10% which make most money in the country.
This creates very patchy landscape where rich people are just 2 blocks from complete ghetto.

That's just how America works. And that's completely different from what I see in let's say northern Europe, where feel of the well integrated society is much stronger and money get invested into infrastructure and cities much more equally which creates a far more pleasant landscape.

BTW, look at DC crime rates - it's one of the worst in the country, the murder rate is on par with some places in Africa, and that's capital city. This really tells the story.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-07-2015, 07:02 PM
 
Location: Holland
787 posts, read 846,561 times
Reputation: 1176
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyAndRugby View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJX3000 View Post
I would like to know if Europeans think Boston has some kind of a European vibe. What do you guys think?
What is a European vibe? Europe is a continent, not a country, and thus has many different cultures. How can there be one vibe?
I am still waiting for an answer to this question. What is a European vibe?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-10-2015, 06:35 PM
 
92 posts, read 108,419 times
Reputation: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyAndRugby View Post
I am still waiting for an answer to this question. What is a European vibe?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-10-2015, 06:38 PM
 
379 posts, read 216,136 times
Reputation: 842
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyAndRugby View Post
I am still waiting for an answer to this question. What is a European vibe?
A euro vibe is about wearing track pants and "trainers", complaining about Poles or gypsies, smoking cigarettes after the football match and riding a scooter or taking the train to the techno nightclub.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-10-2015, 07:02 PM
 
92 posts, read 108,419 times
Reputation: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arne Bjornson View Post
A euro vibe is about wearing track pants and "trainers", complaining about Poles or gypsies, smoking cigarettes after the football match and riding a scooter or taking the train to the techno nightclub.
or eating pasta in Italy all day, or singing O sole mio in Venice, or drinking beer all day in Germany, wearing a beret in France, drinking the tea at 5 in England, dancing flamenco in Spain, smoking weed in Amsterdam and listening to ABBA in Sweden....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-10-2015, 08:03 PM
 
Location: Prince George's County, Maryland
6,212 posts, read 6,026,632 times
Reputation: 2581
Quote:
Originally Posted by civis View Post
Yes, they more or less share same problems.
The problem with US is there's huge influx of poorly educated people in form of illegal immigration, which brings up crime rates and drug usage. At the same time the country is not doing much to integrate those people (and even those born in US but happen to be black) into the society and provide decent life quality for all, not just those top 10% which make most money in the country.
This creates very patchy landscape where rich people are just 2 blocks from complete ghetto.

That's just how America works. And that's completely different from what I see in let's say northern Europe, where feel of the well integrated society is much stronger and money get invested into infrastructure and cities much more equally which creates a far more pleasant landscape.

BTW, look at DC crime rates - it's one of the worst in the country, the murder rate is on par with some places in Africa, and that's capital city. This really tells the story.
Don't go around acting like DC is some bombed out warzone like some people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top