Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2015, 08:27 PM

139 posts, read 129,747 times

Advertisements

Lots of knickers in knots over this question. The question is "most like" not "is like." I think it goes without saying that no American city could be happily transferred across the pond and vice versa however "most like" is a different story.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2015, 07:45 AM

9,362 posts, read 14,304,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean York View Post
You must be the oldest person in the world, and/or immortal.
The immortal goodness is smoked in San Francisco (inside joke, my friend, inside joke).

Anyway, to reiterate what myself and some other have said again and again in this thread, there is really no US city that is like a European city, and even in the ones that are "most like" a European city, one has to proactively want to see the similarities and also use imagination ...

... e.g., once again, Manhattan and Boston like London and some northern European cities, Miami and some other cities in Florida like some Mediterranean European cities ...

To the OP, then, I advise to mentally accept whatever it is that you do not like about US cities and to pretend at least, or pursue at best, whatever similar aspects to European cities do exist (e.g. cultural institutes).

Alternatively, overcome any obstacles to, and accept whatever it is that you do not like about, living in Europe and a European city, and live in one.

Either way, sooner or later, get over it.

Life is too short.

Old 07-17-2015, 07:34 AM

324 posts, read 467,547 times
Let's be real here. Most people are thinking of London or Paris when they make comparisons to a European city. And there is no comparison. No American city provides an urban experience like London or Paris.

Last edited by r_u_a_wizard; 07-17-2015 at 07:58 AM..

Old 07-17-2015, 08:00 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,467,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by r_u_a_wizard View Post
Let's be real here. Most people are thinking of London or Paris when they make comparisons to a European city. And there is no comparison. No American city provides an urban experience like London or Paris.
New York City? May not be as cute, but it's at least as urban as the other two, arguably more so than London.

Old 07-17-2015, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
New York City? May not be as cute, but it's at least as urban as the other two, arguably more so than London.
Yeah its very urban, big and busy. But in a very American way. I'm not saying it's bad, but it is very different.

Old 07-17-2015, 08:11 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,467,780 times
Oh, I see what you mean, not more or less urban just a different urban experience.

Old 07-17-2015, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Oh, I see what you mean, not more or less urban just a different urban experience.
Yes.

Though I admit, I have a preference and you can probably guess what it is lol.

Old 07-19-2015, 02:53 PM

106 posts, read 245,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by r_u_a_wizard View Post
Yeah its very urban, big and busy. But in a very American way. I'm not saying it's bad, but it is very different.
What would you say are the main differences?

Old 07-21-2015, 04:48 AM

14,611 posts, read 17,551,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJX3000 View Post
For Europeans, do you think Boston is the most European city in America? I know it's still an American city and for some people it's impossible to compare.
I am not European, but I doubt that they think of any major American city as being more European.

Demographically, it is not the city with the highest percentage of people of primarily European ancestry

BOSTON
53.9% White alone, percent, 2010
47.0% White alone, not Hispanic or Latino, percent, 2010
24.4% Black or African American alone, percent, 2010
17.5% Hispanic or Latino, percent, 2010

SEATTLE
69.5% White alone, percent, 2010
66.3% White alone, not Hispanic or Latino, percent, 2010
7.9% Black or African American alone, percent, 2010
6.6% Hispanic or Latino, percent, 2010
13.8% Asian alone, percent, 2010

PORTLAND
76.1% White alone, percent, 2010
72.2% White alone, not Hispanic or Latino, percent, 2010
6.3% Black or African American alone, percent, 2010
9.4% Hispanic or Latino, percent, 2010
7.1% Asian alone, percent, 2010

Old 08-28-2015, 03:37 PM

5,249 posts, read 3,607,512 times
Let me go at this another way & propose which are the least "American" cities if one wants to visit & have a variety of experiences. And by "American" I am using the simplistic stereotype of the middle/southern white-bread america that a lot of the country consists of between the coasts.
(BTW I have been in 49 states - sorry Arkansas - & lived in 7 states.)

OK, the "least American" cities in no particular order:

1 - New York - well, of course the most international, multicultural city & only real world class US city (sorry L.A.)
2 - New Orleans - probably the least American city in terms of culture & attitude: African, French, Spanish, Caribbean
3 - Miami - Latin America's northernmost city, speaking Spanish helps; not the Mexican/Central American latin culture either
4 - San Francisco - just a breed apart from the rest of the country: freethinker, counterculture, tech & quite Asian influences
5 - Sante Fe/Albuquerque - along with the smaller towns in New Mexico reflect the older European Spanish & Indian heritages
6 - Honolulu - really all the Hawaiian islands... very Asian & Pacific, not mainland culture once out of tourist areas
7 - Los Angeles - this is simultaneously both one of the least & most American of cities: lots of people who don't speak English or have it as a second language in one of the most middle-American cityscapes intertwined with highways
8 - Las Vegas - it's where white bread america, and the rest of the world go to sin. No other reason for it's existence, it was built by organized crime in the desert.

9 - (*blank*) - I admit ignorance on this one: a huge swath of the southwest from San Antonio Texas to L.A. is heavily Mexican/Central American in culture/cuisine & language now, but I haven't been in these cities for quite a while & don't know which are the least "American" & more Latin at this point.

10 - Honorable mentions: Juneau, Savannah (& the Sea Islands), Portland
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World